1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
17,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what I ordered from www.portatech.com as recommended on this forum:

QtySKUDescriptionPriceSub-Total
[HR][/HR]
1bb-amdBarebones w/ AMD FX-9xxx (Socket AM3+)
w/ AMD FX9590 - Eight-Core (8 x 5.0GHz - 16MB Cache)
Asus M5A99FX Pro R2
Systems - Cooling Package 3 (Quiet)
16GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory (2 x 8GB - Dual Channel Kit)
1TB 7200RPM SATA3 6gb/sec- Hard Drive
Zalman Ultra Quiet Mid Tower Case
700 Watt ATX Power Supply (2 x 6-Pin PCIe Connector)
24X DVD+/-RW Drive
Windows 7 Professional
nVidia Geforce GT620 - 2GB
Standard - Build, Burn-in, Test & Ship Out in Approx 3 to 5 Business Days
Barebones - 2 Year
$1,261.15$1,261.15
1plat-delPlatinum Deliv. Plan (Full Insur. - Heavier Packing - On Time Guarantee)$6.75$6.75
1cardreader-intAll In One Internal Card Reader (Black)$19.95$19.95
1HDD-1TB-SATA3-6GB-S1TB 7200RPM SATA3 6gb/sec- Hard Drive$73.75$73.75
[HR][/HR]
Sub-Total:$1,361.60
Sales Tax:$0.00
Freight:$17.94
Total:$1,379.54

Now I need a monitor, thinking of maybe one 27" or so...or two smaller ones. I currently have a Dell 21" LCD that's been great, but I want something I can have two full windows open at once with. Suggestions please?

Edit:
My wish list for a monitor is:
-Built in Speakers, I know they wont be the best, but I dont really watch movies or listen to high fidelity music at the PC.
-Wall mountable so I have the option. If I go with a bigger one I nee to move it a little further away anyway.
-USB port(s) on the side.
-Matt finish, I dont want the super glossy display.
-LED backlit.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,440 Posts
I would go with two 19" monitors. You may need to get an adapter to run the second monitor and some software like UltraMon.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Here is what I ordered from www.portatech.com as recommended on this forum:

QtySKUDescriptionPriceSub-Total
[HR][/HR]
1bb-amdBarebones w/ AMD FX-9xxx (Socket AM3+)
w/ AMD FX9590 - Eight-Core (8 x 5.0GHz - 16MB Cache)
Asus M5A99FX Pro R2
Systems - Cooling Package 3 (Quiet)
16GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory (2 x 8GB - Dual Channel Kit)
1TB 7200RPM SATA3 6gb/sec- Hard Drive
Zalman Ultra Quiet Mid Tower Case
700 Watt ATX Power Supply (2 x 6-Pin PCIe Connector)
24X DVD+/-RW Drive
Windows 7 Professional
nVidia Geforce GT620 - 2GB
Standard - Build, Burn-in, Test & Ship Out in Approx 3 to 5 Business Days
Barebones - 2 Year
$1,261.15$1,261.15
1plat-delPlatinum Deliv. Plan (Full Insur. - Heavier Packing - On Time Guarantee)$6.75$6.75
1cardreader-intAll In One Internal Card Reader (Black)$19.95$19.95
1HDD-1TB-SATA3-6GB-S1TB 7200RPM SATA3 6gb/sec- Hard Drive$73.75$73.75
[HR][/HR]
Sub-Total:$1,361.60
Sales Tax:$0.00
Freight:$17.94
Total:$1,379.54

Now I need a monitor, thinking of maybe one 27" or so...or two smaller ones. I currently have a Dell 21" LCD that's been great, but I want something I can have two full windows open at once with. Suggestions please?

Edit:
My wish list for a monitor is:
-Built in Speakers, I know they wont be the best, but I dont really watch movies or listen to high fidelity music at the PC.
-Wall mountable so I have the option. If I go with a bigger one I nee to move it a little further away anyway.
-USB port(s) on the side.
-Matt finish, I dont want the super glossy display.
-LED backlit.
Holy crap Kenny..........you lost me after "1 bb-amd"...........and I thought I was pretty good with computers! :laugh:

Congrats on the new PC bro!

·
Administrator
17,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would go with two 19" monitors. You may need to get an adapter to run the second monitor and some software like UltraMon.
I am leaning that way now (although maybe with 2 21" ones), the video card I'm getting supports 2, and so does Win7 Pro so I should be all set. I can hook one up with HDMI, and one with DVI.

·
Administrator
17,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holy crap Kenny..........you lost me after "1 bb-amd"...........and I thought I was pretty good with computers! :laugh:

Congrats on the new PC bro!
My current box is 6+ years old with no real problems...hoping this one will last as long!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
My current box is 6+ years old with no real problems...hoping this one will last as long!
My desktop just turned 9. It still works pretty for what we use it for.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,440 Posts
I am leaning that way now (although maybe with 2 21" ones), the video card I'm getting supports 2, and so does Win7 Pro so I should be all set. I can hook one up with HDMI, and one with DVI.
Thinking about it, I agree with the 21".
Keep in mind, the new dual monitor software packages do a much better job at controlling two monitors.
You should look at a nice dual monitor stand also.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Kenny, I had a pair of 19" monitors and they worked nice, but I upgraded to a pair of 23" monitors that I now use. They seem about a perfect size.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You could always go with a couple of 40 inch Samsung LED tvs mounted on the walls using HDMI and/or DVI inputs.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Are you going to run as Win 7, or in XP mode?
I've been playing with 7 a little more, and it isn't too bad. 8 still sucks.

We have a 27" TV from Best Buy. You can hook a PC up to it, so that may be an option if a standard 27" PC monitor is overly expensive. I have a 22" ViewSonic monitor on my PC, and I have no problem with two windows open side-by-side. This monitor has to be at least 4 years old (the PC is five or six) and I have no problems.

·
Administrator
17,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you going to run as Win 7, or in XP mode?
I've been playing with 7 a little more, and it isn't too bad. 8 still sucks.
Probably just use 7, we use that at work so I ma used to it. Is there any advantage either way?

Still undecided on the monitor(s)...

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Probably just use 7, we use that at work so I ma used to it. Is there any advantage either way?
I fear change, so XP is what I'm familiar with. :lol: I hear 8 is so bad that Win 9 is supposed to be out later this year. I'm hoping I don't have to do any upgrades until then, and even at that maybe in late 2015 after the bugs are worked out and 9.1 is released.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Anyone ever wonder why every other window's OS is a flop? I think it is a sales tactic. Congratulations on the new tower, I was kinda shocked to see someone buy a tower, I almost thought they were a thing of the past and only used in web servers and IT.

·
Administrator
17,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone ever wonder why every other window's OS is a flop? I think it is a sales tactic. Congratulations on the new tower, I was kinda shocked to see someone buy a tower, I almost thought they were a thing of the past and only used in web servers and IT.

Cant argue with your logic, on the OS! I went old school with the tower and hard drives, that was my comfort zone.

·
Super Moderator
5,536 Posts
I was kinda shocked to see someone buy a tower, I almost thought they were a thing of the past and only used in web servers and IT.
Felix, if you are a gamer (like me) they are the only way to go.:)

Computer Cases -> HAF X - Cooler Master X

As for the OS,IMO,Win 7 is the best choice of the bunch.

·
Administrator
17,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Need Help!

Any opinions on a good 27" or 30" monitor?

I wanted the dual setup-badly, but two 21"ers side-by-side is about 40" wide total, and with the desk I sit at in the kitchen I would be sitting to close for that I think. Here is a pic:
DSC08824.JPG
That's a Dell 21.5" (diagonal) monitor, and it measures 20" wide. There is 41" between the two outlet faceplate's. The whole desk itself is 75" wide and 25" deep (standard countertop depth).

So I think a 27" or 30" would be the best option, and maybe cheaper as well since the dual wall bracket setup I wanted is about $175.

·
Administrator
20,679 Posts
My FIL has a new 27" screen. It's too big if you're right up on it. Sit it back a little than it would be ok. If it were me, I'd still do the dual setup 21-24" depending on your space. You could mount them to the wall for a bit of a cleaner look and a bit more space.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Felix, if you are a gamer (like me) they are the only way to go.:)

Computer Cases -> HAF X - Cooler Master X

As for the OS,IMO,Win 7 is the best choice of the bunch.
Not a big gamer, I just bought a PS3. I'm also a Mac guy and my 7 year old Mac book pro just keeps champing along. The last pc I built was a liquid cooled rack mount from Koolance running Fedora Linux. The company that makes the vast majority of Koolance is I-StarUSA, who makes nice server racks.

·
Super Moderator
5,536 Posts
Ken,why couldn't you just put them edge to edge and angle them a bit to make them fit.

As for the panel size,I have a 27"/diagonal Asus, 25" across and I have to sit 30" away from it. I think rule of thumb is the larger the farther away you have to be.

·
Administrator
17,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ken,why couldn't you just put them edge to edge and angle them a bit to make them fit.
I think I would run out of space, plus I would have to move my whole head a lot to see from one side to the other. I only have 25" of depth...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts