Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a house with just over 3 acres of land. All of it is field grass at this point, but there will be about an acre worth of blue grass planted immediately surrounding the home. At this point, I intend on mowing all of the land, but know that we will be putting a garden in come spring at some point. Any suggestions on which X series would provide all of the small property utilization? i.e. will want to procure attachments over time for tending to the garden, moving snow (light amounts, just to clear the drive way), and general lawn work. I was thinking the X-300 series, but have heard that moving up the X-500 would provide me with more flexibility to expand upon the many uses of that may arise on a property of this size. There is a chance that I could acquire the other 4 acres that are attached to this property currently. Property is predominantly flat, yet there is a nice slope down towards the creek that makes up about a third of the lot.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
What do you need? More money:gizmo: :lol: I think I'd be considering a diesel 700 series.

·
Administrator
20,684 Posts
I would be looking very hard at the 1 series tractors. They are more versatile than the X700 series.

:wgtt:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Make sure you get enough tractor the first time, many stories of owners taking an expensive hit trading in for a larger series machine due to not enough research.

:greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
5,512 Posts
What do you need? More money:gizmo: :lol: I think I'd be considering a diesel 700 series.
I would be looking very hard at the 1 series tractors. They are more versatile than the X700 series.

Sound advice from both. I think it depends, do you want a more comfortable mower or will the other tasks start becoming more of an issue? I did all the tasks of mowing, tilling and snow blowing with my 112. That and a bit more with the 400, just faster and more comfortable. The 2038r does these and more yet but again faster and with less fuel. The comfort is much much better with the larger tires and longer wheelbase.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
See, I look at this differently... I would look at buying a nice commercial duty ZTR since you want to mow 3 acres. 3 acres is a LOT to mow if ya ask me. A ZTR will get the job done quicker and will likely look better. Next, I would buy a USED 2 or 3 series with 3pt and a loader.

Used commercial duty ZTR: $5k (that'll get you a nice one around here)
Used 2 or 3 series: $12k (I've seen 3032E's up for $15k)
Cheaper than a new 1025R...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
The x300 is not well suited to ground engagement attachments, just towing and mowing. My X304 was very good at mowing around obstacles due to the all wheel steering...but I had other tractors in the herd for other 'real tractor' tasks.

My 2004 model X495 diesel was roughly equivalent to the later x700 series -- But I still would not use this class of tractor for serious FEL work.

The CUT class of tractors is the best all around solution to small acreage, particularly if you live where you have moderate to heavy snow removal tasks.

SO -- the short version of my post is what others have said above about CUT tractors... You can make a beautiful yard with nothing more than a classic 140, 318 or 322 with proper attachment (I know and I have done it...) but it is a lot more work!

cherry blossoms starting 2010 low res.jpg side yard.jpg terracing and tilling the side yard.jpg view from gazebo.jpg rough tilling of front orchard.jpg stone border at edge of front ditch.jpg

Chuck

·
Premium Member
5,512 Posts
See, I look at this differently... I would look at buying a nice commercial duty ZTR since you want to mow 3 acres. 3 acres is a LOT to mow if ya ask me. A ZTR will get the job done quicker and will likely look better. Next, I would buy a USED 2 or 3 series with 3pt and a loader.

Again, more good advice.

The x300 is not well suited to ground engagement attachments, just towing and mowing. My X304 was very good at mowing around obstacles due to the all wheel steering...but I had other tractors in the herd for other 'real tractor' tasks.

My 2004 model X495 diesel was roughly equivalent to the later x700 series -- But I still would not use this class of tractor for serious FEL work.

The CUT class of tractors is the best all around solution to small acreage, particularly if you live where you have moderate to heavy snow removal tasks.

SO -- the short version of my post is what others have said above about CUT tractors... You can make a beautiful yard with nothing more than a classic 140, 318 or 322 with proper attachment (I know and I have done it...) but it is a lot more work!

View attachment 657480 View attachment 657482 View attachment 657484 View attachment 657486 View attachment 657490 View attachment 657492

Chuck
Wow. Thought I was looking at homestead magazine for a moment. Very nice work.:good2:

·
Super Moderator
5,104 Posts
With the X300 series you can find attachments like a snowplow or blower, mulching kits, baggers, etc...

The X500 series gives you a few more available attachments like a rear tiller.

The X700 series gives you a real PTO drive system and teh possibility of adding a 3 point hitch. That opens up a ton of possible attachments.

The 1-series makes the PTO and 3 point standard equipment.

The higher you go, the more options you have and, generally speaking, the more capable those options are.

I'd classify the X300 machines as "lawn tractors". Their primary purpose is mowing lawns leaf clean up, moving small amounts of gardening materials. etc... I wouldn't want to try to use one on field grass more than once. Until you get that tamed, you need a rough cut mower which kicks you up to the X700 series as a minimum.

I'm not going to throw away your money here but I think you need to do more research and think long and hard about your specific tasks. Then think about how much $$$ you are willing to put into it and how to want to get there.

·
Administrator
20,684 Posts

I completely agree with this. I mean, look at my signature. I have a commercial Z and the 2720. Now both are doing chores that are more suited to them than a single piece of equipment that does it all, but doesn’t do it all as well as dedicated equipment does.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
If your going to get one tractor I wouldn't go less than a 700 series.I have 2.5 acres and started with a 345.Did fine for 15 years.Added a x595 4 years ago,thought about a 1025r but with rops and lots of trees it would cause more trim work and not save time.I use the 345 around the house and the X595 in the open areas.The 595 can do the whole lawn with some extra trim.It also has extras the 345 doesn't.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,354 Posts
What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Make sure you get enough tractor the first time, many stories of owners taking an expensive hit trading in for a larger series machine due to not enough research.
Because of what he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I guess Id ask where you are (geographically I mean, it helps with advice to know where you live. Always a good idea to have it in your info), because someone on Florida doesnt need to be concerned with snow in Winter like someone in Michigan.

Besides that, make a list of everything you plan to do right now, and anything you MIGHT want to do in the future.
The advice about not going too small is valid, and it happens a lot.

Before I go much further, Ill say that there is a difference in what you need and what you want, sort of like what you can get by with vs what will allow you to do work better and faster.
I got by with a 318 for a long time. But then I had enough of working my rear end off and never getting ahead.
My particular 318 was my Grandfathers, and Ive been using it since it was brand spanking new. We maintained 2 acres with it, mostly mowing.
After he passed, I used it at my place in town, mostly to haul stuff here and there, till and move snow.
When we moved to our current place, 5.5 acres in the woods, it worked fine, but projects took a long time. This Spring, early, we had a tree hit the house. This was the end for my wife, and within a week, we were just about done tractor shopping.
What used to take me about a week, I can now do in a day, two at the most. This is mostly felling/bucking trees and moving the cut wood, but before I had to lift the logs into the cart, and then dump and stack them. Now I can take much larger logs with the forks and never really get off the tractor once I start.

In your case, you plan to mow and it sounds like you will eventually want a tiller at the least, and something to move a little snow.
To me, this is X700 series if you want it to last as long as possible. The smaller the tractor, the lighter duty they are in the garden tractor/lawn tractor series. Basically, what I mean by that is that yes, you can run a tiller on an X500 series, but if you do it often, it will take its toll on the machine.
Personally, I run a 30 hydraulic tiller on the 318. I wouldnt want to run it on anything lighter, as it will push the 318 around pretty good depending on the ground.
If you plan to have a loader, the X700 series will work, but then you end up being about the same cost as the 1 series.
I guess based on what little Ive gathered about your needs, I would price what you absolutely need, and then check out a step or two above as well.
Youll find all sorts of things you can do with a bigger tractor that you may not have thought of, and youll be glad you went a bit bigger than you thought initially.

In my case, after going through all sorts of back and forth on wants and needs, I ended up with a good friends Exmark and a 2025R.
Nothing beats a commercial zero turn for mowing, and they can be had fairly cheap if you dont mind used.
I still use the 318 for hauling stuff in the cart, tilling and snow removal, but eventually will have a tiller for the 2025 so I wont need that part, and if my wife lets me, Ill get a snowblower for it too, so the 318 and its older 49 thrower that fought the blizzard of '78 can sit back and relax in the cold, :laugh:!

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
I just purchased a house with just over 3 acres of land. All of it is field grass at this point, but there will be about an acre worth of blue grass planted immediately surrounding the home. At this point, I intend on mowing all of the land, but know that we will be putting a garden in come spring at some point. Any suggestions on which X series would provide all of the small property utilization? i.e. will want to procure attachments over time for tending to the garden, moving snow (light amounts, just to clear the drive way), and general lawn work. I was thinking the X-300 series, but have heard that moving up the X-500 would provide me with more flexibility to expand upon the many uses of that may arise on a property of this size. There is a chance that I could acquire the other 4 acres that are attached to this property currently. Property is predominantly flat, yet there is a nice slope down towards the creek that makes up about a third of the lot.

Thanks
Here is what I have for 3.9 acres shown Below

But for Many years on 5.5acres I used a 2WD X485 (older Version of a X730) and In 2014 I traded it for a Used X748(older version of the X758) Won't be getting ride of the X748 anytime soon. I actually do a lot more with the X748 then I do with the 2018 2025R (prior to the 2025R I had a 2017 1025R). I just wanted more ground clearance with the 3point hitch so I went with the 2025R. Because it's bigger brothers the 2032R & 2038r were Just overkill for my needs. Yeah I bought a deck for the 2025R but That's really only for trade in purposes down the road. I Mostly do tilling, and snow removal with the X748 and still a lot of Loader work. Until recently it was my full time mower as well until I bought a Cub Cadet XT3 GSX which is doing the mowing. Loader work can still be done with the X700 signature series 2013 John deere x ultimate and if You shim the Loader Valve You Can get almost as Much lift out of the CTC loader as a 120R Loader On the 1025R CTC Loader shown in far right picture Below.

But if Your plans are to expanded the property a Sub compact or Compact would probably be a good idea.

But for the uses you plan on right now a X700 signature series would probably meet you needs especially if you plan on predominantly mowing with the machine . They are far better than a Compact or Sub Compact at mowing. Depending on your future garden area they are great at tilling with either a rear PTO driven tiller or the 42inch Hydraulic driven tiller(driven by Mid PTO no rear PTO required only 3point hitch).

The one place the hydraulic tiller has the other PTO driven tillers beat is you can either forward till or Back till with the tiller simply by switching the 3 point sub frame on the tiller. I actually have both a 647 and a 42inch Hydraulic tiller.

I can use the 647 on either the X748 or 2025R. I can switch My Blade or Blower In between the 2025R & X748 another reason I didn't go any higher than a 2025R.

I would say try a X700 signature series first if You Buy more Property you can always upgrade to a Sub Compact or Compact.

The X580 or X590 could also handle you needs of mowing , tilling and snow removal mowing up to a 54inch deck , tilling either a 30inch belt driven PTO tiller or a Belt driven PTO pump 42inch Hydraulic tiller and either a 44inch or 47inch Blower and either a 44inch or 48inch front blade and for earth mowing there is the John Deere tractor shovel or the Johnny Bucket Jr Johnny Bucket Jr. John Deere GTLX

But if You Can afford it do as some have done Get a Sub Compact or Compact and a Mowing tractor ie X380 or a X570 or a Zero Turn No need to do as I have done Having a compact and a Super Garden tractor

But the Best advice I can give is find a John Deere dealer that will bring a Tractor out and let you test it On your Property. Then see which is Best for Your Needs.

Here on this forum and many other forums Like it(there in the Bigger is always Better mentality) and we Love to help you spend Your Money :gizmo: But I am from get the best one for your needs not the biggest you can afford. Because it may be to much for your needs or it's size will get in your way. But I will say the X300 series is Probably to small for Your Needs and I recommend Looking at the X500 series at a Minimum and then go from there:bigthumb:

:bigthumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
LOL! Typical. OP was asking about x300 vs x500 and the next 2 posts are already telling him to get a x700 or a 1 series... You guys really like to spend other people's money!!

Seriously, though don't under buy. Get the biggest and best that you can afford. It's not very common that people wish they had gotten something smaller or lighter duty. I made that mistake and ended up trading a 1 year old x590 for a x758.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,684 Posts
I made that mistake and ended up trading a 1 year old x590 for a x758.
That is exactly why we give this advice. :good2:

I made the same mistake and bought a 1 series when I needed a 2. I had no idea as I was new to the tractor community and ownership. Hopefully the OP sees this as helpful and not harmful. At the end of the day, he has to make that decision and stand by it. I made mine and paid about $4k more than I should’ve because I took a hit trading such a new tractor. I’m ok with it, but I’d like to see the OP with a smile and no regrets. :drinks:

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
. Get the biggest and best that you can afford.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
You Just Made My Point about tractor Forums :lolol:

·
Registered
192 Posts
I’m 15 years into seven acres and 13 years with a 2305 SCUT and RFM. I did a small lawn with a little rear engine rider for 14 years. I acquired much of my signature equipment just this year. Sometimes it takes a long time to achieve your goals and dial in the best machine for a certain task or area. So far the advice in this thread is very solid. Avoid under buying and trading up. Sometimes buying other people’s trades can be a great path to specialization and fleet diversity. My question would be how much storage space you have and how large of a herd can you have? I bought two ancient garden tractors just because I wanted a dedicated tiller machine and didn’t want to rototill with my SCUT. A ZTR may be in the future, maybe not. Perhaps a new SCUT MMM in a few more years. What started out as brush is now looking like a lawn. Thinking back I’m glad that I went the route that I did. At this point in time a single 534 or 584 with AWS and a 54” deck could maintain what I have. Three acres would be a breeze. I will never give up my SCUT and I regret that I waited 12 years to get a good set of pallet forks. Life is different now with two kids out of college. It was a whole different story 15 years ago.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Folks here love to spend other people’s money. A lot of what they say definitely has validity. A 300 series would not be able to do what you are looking to do- minimum 500 series. The 700 series are Cadillac’s of garden tractors, and they are priced accordingly (as well as their attachments) I wouldn’t even consider a 700 series, for basically same money you can get into a much more capable 1 series SCUT. Normally I’d say buy an X590, and if you find it’s not enough trade it in after few years, but in your case you need to carefully consider, because you are looking at several expensive attachments and once you get into 8 k for tractor and another 5 or 6k in attachments- not as easy to get your money back in trade. So In short I’d go X590, or if I thought I needed more I’d go right into 1 series ( about twice as much cash) The 700 series would also be twice as much as 590 and other than diesel and ease of use ( think Cadillac) really doesn’t have that more capability than 590 and certainly less capability than 1 series

1 - 20 of 38 Posts