Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought it from a local used JD “dealer”. Unit has just under 1000 hours and is generally in very good shape. Two things I noticed...first, it seems like the throttle “sticks” in a few places. When I move the handle from turtle to rabbit, there are sizable periods of travel where the engine does not speed up...then it “coughs” and revs up a lot. I haven’t done a lot of maintenance on these except for the normal spark plug/air filter/fuel filter/oil change. I’m wondering if this could be a throttle cable issue or something else...where’s the best place to start looking?

Only other issue I’m concerned about right now is the parking brake level seems to be a little wonky, like it barely wants to stay engaged after I set it. Is this something that can be adjusted?

·
Super Moderator
2,222 Posts
Start with checking that the throttle cable sleeve is clamped tight at the engine end and doesn't move when moving the throttle lever. The inner cable rod should move freely but the outer sleeve shouldn't. Also look for any binding.

I don't have a answer for the parking brake. I'm sure others will chime in.

And congratulations :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
A lot of stuff sits outside at a dealership so the cable may need some lube sprayed in it.Be sure your pressing the parking brake fully when setting it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I checked it today...looks like it’s fastened securely at the engine where it attaches to the throttle linkage. But between there and the throttle lever the cable is not attached anywhere else. It seems like it should be because I notice when I move the throttle lever the entire cable moves a bit before the throttle linkage starts to move. So I’ll have to check out another similar tractor to see if there are additional attachment points for the cable.

I tried moving the “actual” throttle lever at the engine to check for smooth operation and the linkage itself might need to be lubricated or adjusted too. I found a couple of pages online of the maintenance manual that describes the throttle adjustment procedure so I’ll try that too.

With the hood up I can see a good portion of the brake lever. It seems to be fairly loose, but that may be by design. Next time I have the deck off I will probably be able to see the end that latches the brake lever, and maybe then I’ll be able to tell if there’s a bracket that needs adjustment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts