Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, as the title indicates I just picked up a gently used 448 BH. I'm about to order the power beyond kit but wanted to check if I need to replace any bolts when mounting the side plates? The guy I got it from included the mounting brackets which was off his 4720. My understanding is the brackets will work for all 20 series tractors, plus the bolt patterns look correct. I'm fairly sure I'll need a spacer or two but do I need to get some longer bolts?

I've looked at the actual side plate kit, first thank god my BH came with the plates... second I'm not interested in paying $146.64 for 6 bolts, $18.24 for 12 washers, $36.78 for 2 spacers and $10.99 for 1 cap screw.

Unless these are some special bolt made of unobtanium I'm inclined add the plate thickness to the bolt length and run down the the local TSC and grab some grade 8's

Finally, anyone know the torque specs? I've hunted for an install manual for the plate kit, no luck though.

Thanks

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've got the 447,448 operators manual and it says it takes six M14x135 and six M14x120 bolts (doesn't say what grade), two spacers (doesn't say what size) and 12 washers. There's a special note to only use hardened washers or the bolts will dig in and loosen as the backhoe is used. Torque is 129 lb-ft and notes not to over tighten or the case can be damaged.

If it were me I'd cough up the dough just to make sure the bolts, spacers and washers were the right sizes/grades. A backhoe could probably cause a lot of damage to the cases if bolts started loosening up or breaking.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I've got the 447,448 operators manual and it says it takes six M14x135 and six M14x120 bolts (doesn't say what grade), two spacers (doesn't say what size) and 12 washers. There's a special note to only use hardened washers or the bolts will dig in and loosen as the backhoe is used. Torque is 129 lb-ft and notes not to over tighten or the case can be damaged.

If it were me I'd cough up the dough just to make sure the bolts, spacers and washers were the right sizes/grades. A backhoe could probably cause a lot of damage to the cases if bolts started loosening up or breaking.
I tend to agree with this sentiment. Spending what you have on your tractor and now the BH spending another $ (although premium) to get the RIGHT hardware is what could make all the difference for the use of this combination without damaging either in the process.

Does our sponsor GFp have these parts? You’ll save with free shipping, the GTT discount and possibly a sale if you time it right and still get the right hardware.

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
I would agree with others regarding getting the correct bolts.

Rather than TSC, I would suggest checking with a place that specialized in fasteners like Fastenal.

With the torque spec of 129 ft lbs, you should be able to determine the correct grade of bolt.

·
Administrator
20,364 Posts
Most everything like this from Deere is metric flange head bolts grade 10.9.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Received my parts today, ordered from Green-Parts-Direct.com

Box had a gaping hole in it with one of the hard lines poking through

parts inside were loose outside of any kind of packaging

Missing:
3x of the 25.00 bolts :(
1x ORFS adapter :(
1x hook for the top link :(

I guess given the size of the hole it's amazing that's all that spilled out. I have to blame the shipper for a crappy packing job on this one, it's not UPS fault. I'll have to wait until Monday to see what they will do.

Hope for the best.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Probably better that you just got them from deere considering that TSC doesn't carry metric grade 8 or 10 and the metric they do have are no where wear large enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts