Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is probably the smallest plow I've ever owned other than the small Cat 0 plows for the Sears garden tractors. I had inquired about this particular plow which hadn't been used in many years. The owner passed away and the widow was too afraid of dealing with strangers, so I just left it alone. Later the property went up for sale and I tried contacting the real estate agent by first calling and then via email. Never heard back from him. I wasn't the only one who had contacted him, but for other reasons and he wouldn't call them back either. I kept the plow in the back of my mind and would occassionally think about it if I was passing by.

Today, while running an errand, I saw a friend's HD pickup with trailer backed up to the plow in that field. My initial reaction was to call him, but hesitated for a few minutes. He was trying to load the plow by himself (80 years old) and realized it was a bigger job than he had realized. Talk about perfect timing. As I was calling his phone, he had gone to his office to try and find my phone number to call me to come get the plow. The sale on the land was about to be finalized and the relatives who were handling the property had no use for the plow. My friend was trying to save the plow for me. What a good friend!!

It was too far to drive a tractor to lift it, so I just decided to use come-alongs and chains to winch the plow up on my trailer. Actually worked up a good sweat as the temperature was in the upper 80's here.

When I get some time to unload it from the trailer, I'll take some pics and share them.

The price couldn't be beat. :thumbup1gif:FREE

EDIT: I forgot to mention to anyone who isn't familiar with the Parlin & Orendorff Company. They were a well known plow company that International Harvester purchased. The company was based in Canton, Illinois

·
Registered
182 Posts
still waiting a pictures :munch:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry guys. Had intended to try and get some pics yesterday, but was running on almost NO SLEEP. Some criminal activity occurred too close for comfort at night. A man hunt ensued after the bad guys on the run from law enforcement crashed someone's new camaro into a bridge and the driver bailed out.

As for taking pics of the plow in use, will have to give everything a good going over prior to attempting that. This plow is pretty darn old and don't know yet the date of manufacture.

Guess maybe my IH 504 wouldn't be too much power for it.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
It sounds more and more like you need to leave that plow on the trailer, load some other stuff with it, and get out of Dodge.

I know that's easier said than done, though.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah 56, I'm working on that very thing. Been selling off a lot of extra things no longer needed so there'll be less to deal with upon moving. Just hope the land will sell soon.
So much of the surounding farm land has been developed.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally had some time to get the plow unloaded off the trailer today. If the rain hadn't been an issue I would've taken some pics. Maybe next week I can take some.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Despite feeling under the weather from a nasty type of upper respiratory bug that's going around, I went ahead and got out in the wind to take a few pics of the plow. Need to buy some of the original manuals for these and even some sales literature.

If you look at the main part of the frame, you can tell that these type plows can be and were used with other attachments.

At least this one is much smaller than the others and was a little easier to load and unload.

If anyone is curious about the tractor, it's an International 504.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
This is real interesting. I have never seen anything like this before. How is it used and what are the advantages to using a plow like this. I will show my ignorance. Would someone use this instead of a mold board plow or is this for a special use?

·
Registered
182 Posts
that type of plow was also known as a stump plow correct ?

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
This is real interesting. I have never seen anything like this before. How is it used and what are the advantages to using a plow like this. I will show my ignorance. Would someone use this instead of a mold board plow or is this for a special use?
Ditto Rob! Looks like a spiked drive wheel into a gear box, but what does it do!? Vibrate the the plow share? I've never seen one like this! ~Scotty

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
That is so cool! I love old iron!!!!!:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Some old timers who were just kids when these were made have told me that they used them as breaking plows. The others I own have more discs than this one. From what I have observed, these would have a little less drag than a moldboard. Especially when the face of the discs are slick and free of rust. We have a lot of wild Johnson grass that takes over hay fields. There were guys who preferred these type plows to help chop up and kill the Johnson grass.

that type of plow was also known as a stump plow correct ?
I'm not familiar with that term, but it is possible.

Ditto Rob! Looks like a spiked drive wheel into a gear box, but what does it do!? Vibrate the the plow share? I've never seen one like this! ~Scotty
The drive wheel was designed that way to help provide grip. That wheel is attached to the gear box where the mechanism is located that trips the plow. You attach a rope through a rope guide near the tongue on the front and to a flat lever/spring on the rear which is attached to a gear box. When you are plowing in a forward motion and get to the headland, you tug on the rope from the tractor seat and it trips a mechanism in the gearbox which raises the plow. If you desire to keep plowing once the plow and tractor are turned around and re-enter the area to be plowed, the operator tugs on the rope again while in motion and the plow is thus lowered. This one doesn't have weights on the front wheel like the larger ones do.

That is so cool! I love old iron!!!!!:thumbup1gif:
Thanks. Yeah, me too. I try to save as much as possible from being melted down at the scrap yards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts