Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built this property cart around the early 90's, I didn't build a suspension under it at the time because the jobs I built it for didn't require one, the 2 1/2" sq tube legs and 3/4" bolt/axles did fine.

When the grand kids started asking to get pulled around in it I decided it was time to put a suspension under it, that was about three years ago. First I burnt off the square tube legs, I still wanted to keep the deck high to make loading and unloading easier so I used a spacer between the trailer's frame and spring mounts, then I added the side bracing just to keep the wheel and axles from ever shifting.

I built the dump latch and the trailers jack stand myself, the jack's wheel came from a shopping cart. A friend machine operator who works down down at the local manufacturing plant bent the 1/8" fenders for me on his press.

The way I made the tailgate's slot was weld a piece of angle iron to the trailer's sides rear risers, it worked out great building them that way...they're strong, they will never get bent out of shape.

The cart is 6'X4', it's been handy cart to have around, my neighbors like it, they and asked if it was for sale as soon as they saw it but I said no. I don't think I would ever sell it for what I could get for it. They don't build them as strong as my cart. the frame and cross members are 3" channel iron, the sides and bottom wood are treated deck lumber.

Thanks for looking :bye: ...tackit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Nice, I have been thinking of making something like that to pull behind the gator. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice, I have been thinking of making something like that to pull behind the gator. :thumbup1gif:
Thanks Brian. You'll get alot of use out of one and there not hard to build, there a nice size project really... . The tin carts they sell would never have lasted this many years. :mocking:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
:thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif:

It's a keeper! Nice job.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif:

It's a keeper! Nice job.
Thanks Randy. I would like to build a few of those 30 gallon drum carts they use to pull kids around in at fairs but never checked one out to see how they are made. The grand kids would have a good time riding in them down our back road past the farm animals, creek and the changing fields and leaves.

I just noticed tonight the bearded sumac down by the fence line is starting to put on berries. So nice to see signs of fall, the heat was a killer this year, it ruined many of my plans. I hope the stress doesn't ruin this falls colors...

·
Premium Member
8,085 Posts
Please tell us that the shopping cart jack wheel isn't:

A. Wobbly.

B. Squeaky.

C. Seized.

D. All of the above.

That definitely looks stronger than the new stuff one sees today.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Please tell us that the shopping cart jack wheel isn't:

A. Wobbly.

B. Squeaky.

C. Seized.

D. All of the above.

That definitely looks stronger than the new stuff one sees today.
I better check it out before I comment on it's condition, gun-shy you know. My friend gave it to me so the price was right and it went well with a homemade project.

I can say the wheel worked fine when I welded it on and the last time I used the cart.

·
Administrator
18,527 Posts
Beautiful project as usual Tackit, thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your welcome Kenny, It's always fun to look at project pictures... I know I enjoy them...

I have been doing a recover on my puter, it's been acting up had problems with the recovery and then Internet then Virus protection looks like I finally have it right. I have been on it all night... I'm afraid to say how many hours... someone might check my last post and make me out a liar. I'm telling ya I'm gun shy, it's hugely embarrassing to get called out for going by memory... :laugh: :laugh::laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Very nice wagon. I'm shopping for something to do the same type rebuild on and for the same reason: riding grand kids around the farm.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Uncle Wayne going for rides in it is something the grand kids always want to do when they come down... You'll be pleased at the fun and happiness your ideas and work will provide your grand kids...

This fall I'm going to throw some hay on the floor and toss in pumpkins for them to take home. We all love pumpkins, Halloween and dried out corn stalks around here. :laugh:

I had an Idea to cut the side out of a 275 gallon oblong oil tank for a trailer.. just build a frame under it and tack some angle iron on the top edge so they can't cut someone. It would make a strong nice size cart, but I can't find one around here since the price of scrap went sky high.

I also wanted to remove the end from one and bury it to make a pit for changing oil and for working under a vehicle. Paint it with Columbia Fiber Coating steel roof paint made by Central Petroleum Co. and smear tar on the outside and it should last for years. :thumbup1gif:

I had my pole barn's metal roof sprayed painted with the Colimbia product. very pleased with it. I used it on my diesel tank, my 300 gallon gas tank, lawn roller and spring fork and I'm going to paint the rear blade with it too before winter.
http://www.cen-pe-co.com/Products/Paints & Roof Coatings.htm

·
Administrator
18,527 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts