Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did something I wanted to do since High School.

Studied up and passed my Technician and General, Amateur Radio License exams.

I am now a Licensed Geek.

Just call me KD9GMK.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
Congrats. Nice accomplishment.:bigthumb:

Too many hobbies is a good thing...keeps you charged up all the time.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,679 Posts
Congrats!!

My wife asks why I don't have cheap hobbies, I tell her they are no fun.

Sent using the space-time continuum.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Neighbor geek

My neighbor has been a licensed ham for years, (ex Navy comms). He recently purchased a 55' tower and is in the process of installing it to get a better signal. The base was poured a week ago and needs to cure for a month before the tower goes up.

In his case, I"m not sure it's a "cheap" hobby but he enjoys it.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Congrats!!

My wife asks why I don't have cheap hobbies, I tell her they are no fun.

Sent using the space-time continuum.
There are NO cheap hobbies, your wife is uninformed.

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
There are a few amateur radio operators here. I had a license for many years, but eventually let it lapse.

I would urge discretion about where you make your call signs known. As you may know, your licensed radio station is a matter of public record and quite a bit of information about your station can be found very easily by using the call letters even for expired licenses like mine. While we're all friends on GTT, the site is read by thousands of people every day and we don't know who everyone is.

73, N**LF

·
Premium Member
4,873 Posts
I believe that passionate hobbies are mankind's best therapy. Everyone needs a passion in life, and if a good hobby supplies that need, so be it! It keeps you out of trouble...well for the most part any way. I have always maintained that woodworking/sawdust dissolves tension.

Sometimes Sharn Jean twists off a little...like the other day. She bought an old rocker that was in need of restoration. I told her that I was going to have to cut a lot of mortises and tenons by hand, and that I probably would need to go buy myself a Kreg's Jig. She said "You don't need another saw". That's when the ship hit the sand.

·
Registered
22,665 Posts
I believe that passionate hobbies are mankind's best therapy. Everyone needs a passion in life, and if a good hobby supplies that need, so be it! It keeps you out of trouble...well for the most part any way. I have always maintained that woodworking/sawdust dissolves tension.
Well said - everyone needs a passion in life. But for some reason my passion has always been my work (job) mostly my little lawn care business. This has been one of the biggest issues being crippled up now - I never really had any hobbies to speak of and I desperately need one now. I've dabbled with a couple things but it just doesn't take. All I find myself thinking about is being outside working on the property, buildings, or in the woods.

I've been hoping that something would suddenly appear - some kind of hobby that would just present itself and I would say "this is it!" Still waiting for that......

·
Old Pa-pa
11,738 Posts
One thing I have noticed is what's a hobby to one person seems like work to another, all depends what floats your boat.:hi:

:lol:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
One thing I have noticed is what's a hobby to one person seems like work to another, all depends what floats your boat.:hi:

:lol:
Exactly! :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
4,873 Posts
Well said - everyone needs a passion in life. But for some reason my passion has always been my work (job) mostly my little lawn care business. This has been one of the biggest issues being crippled up now - I never really had any hobbies to speak of and I desperately need one now. I've dabbled with a couple things but it just doesn't take. All I find myself thinking about is being outside working on the property, buildings, or in the woods.

I've been hoping that something would suddenly appear - some kind of hobby that would just present itself and I would say "this is it!" Still waiting for that......
Restoring classic John Deere equipment?

·
Premium Member
8,800 Posts
Congratulations on your achievement. Anytime you are learning something new, expanding your knowledge and exposing yourself to new information, it's a great experience and usually only good can come from it. Life is our accumulation of acquired knowledge, personal experiences and interactions with others and I hope to keep learning new things for the rest of my life.

Some of the most successful private companies I have had the pleasure to work with were created as the result of a hobby which exposed the person to new opportunities and they so enjoyed the hobby, they found a way to develop a portion of it into their new business. You just never know where a new hobby will take you.

Regarding the point made by 59FordGuy about your call signal, using the public databases, It is very easy to identity and learn just about everything you want to know about those who have posted their FCC call sign in the public threads. I agree with Blake's suggestion to be careful about where you post your call sign just for your own privacy and security.

·
Registered
22,665 Posts
Restoring classic John Deere equipment?
Oh I'd love that buy can't afford the price of admission.

One of the first actual mechanical projects I undertook was rebuilding my 332 diesel L&G tractor. It would actually be more my speed to do something that size again but they are hard to find. That or a 455 that needed redone would be great (has to be a diesel to motivate me).

Image-01.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts