Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took delivery of my new X330 w/42” deck to replace ‘07 Simplicity Regent w/38” deck. Love my new machine. Reminds me of my Grandfathers ‘74 110 I used to mow with. Same solid feel. I’ve attached some photos. It’s interesting to compare them. The Deere is definitely heavier, taller/beefier and feels more substantial.

The X330’s Briggs V-twin is smooth and quieter then the single cylinder 18HP Kohler Courage on the Simplicity, which is actually a fairly smooth single cylinder engine as they go.

I gave a lot of thought about the 330 vs 350 with the Kawasaki. Based on my analysis, the X330 engine is a Briggs Commercial Cyclonic series. This I feel is very comparable to the FR Kawasaki, and for my use more the adequate. According to the dealer John Deere did over 30,000 hrs of testing on these engines, so I’m sure they have confidence in them for their job intended use.

The two share the same K46 transmission, which has been bullletproof on the Simplicity and was a requirement for any new tractor. The pedal control is touchier on the Deere which is interesting given it’s the same transmission.

Both have a nice mowing cut, but the Deere deck definitely disperses the clipping far better. The Simplicity always left clumps of grass, my real only issue with it. I’m waiting on the mulch kit (on back order) which will make it much easier to mow around garden beds and patios. The only negative on the Deere is the RIO which I think stands for really idiotic operation. Guess you can tell what I think of lawyers.

Overall I love the new Deere. It is a definite step up. Looking forward to lots of mowing.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Congratulations on your JD tractor .......I moved from a Simplicity Conquest over to a X590 last year. The Deere is built much stronger and cuts more evenly. I prefer the way the Simplicity stripes, but I can live without them. I'm still learning how to get the best out of the Mulch on Demand as it tends to clog the underside of the deck and requires scraping after each mow. Good luck with your new machine and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Welcome and congrats too!
I really agree with you on the stupid pain in the arse safety RIO......and like the stands for "really idiotic operation" 😄

Reactions: Sdegraff

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congratulations on your JD tractor .......I moved from a Simplicity Conquest over to a X590 last year. The Deere is built much stronger and cuts more evenly. I prefer the way the Simplicity stripes, but I can live without them. I'm still learning how to get the best out of the Mulch on Demand as it tends to clog the underside of the deck and requires scraping after each mow. Good luck with your new machine and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the welcome. Interesting to hear your thoughts on the mulching. Other review I read were generally positive. As it is a I have to adjust my routes as the Deere really throws the grass. Just sold the Simplicity this morning. Looking forward to the new machine. I’m thinking about adding a brush guard. Love to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome and congrats too!
I really agree with you on the stupid pain in the arse safety RIO......and like the stands for "really idiotic operation" 😄
Seems more distracting to have to think about hitting that damn button and coordinating your foot so you don’t hit reverse too quickly, the to simply look behind you. Perhaps a simple reverse beep signal would make more sense.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,828 Posts
Welcome to GTT and Congratulations

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.