Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see JD changed hydros in the X758 to the K90. What is the difference from the K92 in the X748?

·
Premium Member
10,676 Posts
I see JD changed hydros in the X758 to the K90. What is the difference from the K92 in the X748?
This from Tuff Torque:

"The K92 is basically the same as a K90 and K91. Differences are minor. Usually an oil pressure internally. Most parts for the K90 will swap with the K92. And they are visually the same."

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd guess it(k90) had something to do with the newer hfwd vs older mfwd. Tractor data shows the older jd 4 series(425 445 455) used a k91. Tractor data says they went to the k92 with the start of the x485 thru to x7 ultimate..
Theres also a k93 out there too. Here is a link to the kanzaki corp who makes them also the front axle info, tlots of different products and information.

Transaxle K series|Hydraulic Equipments,Transmissions and Marine Gears|Products|Kanzaki Kokyukoki Mfg. Co., Ltd.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd guess it(k90) had something to do with the newer hfwd vs older mfwd. Tractor data shows the older jd 4 series(425 445 455) used a k91. Tractor data says they went to the k92 with the start of the x485 thru to x7 ultimate..
Theres also a k93 out there too. Here is a link to the kanzaki corp who makes them also the front axle info, tlots of different products and information.

Transaxle K series|Hydraulic Equipments,Transmissions and Marine Gears|Products|Kanzaki Kokyukoki Mfg. Co., Ltd.

My 2012 X748 has HFWD and K92 so what is with the K90?

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's all I could think of without digging into it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's all I could think of without digging into it.

Well the X758 has a lighter frame, one would guess that the K90 is a cheaper hydro than the K92 than what the X748 has?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Well the X758 has a lighter frame, one would guess that the K90 is a cheaper hydro than the K92 than what the X748 has?
The new X700s do not have a "lighter frame." They have the exact same frame, minus the cutout for the loader and minus a couple of extra reinforcements on the front bracket. The engine mount is also "skeletonized,."

So *technically* it is lighter by a few pounds, but when people say something has a "lighter frame" they mean that the frame is thinner, weaker, etc. Or at least that is the implication.

I took some photos and measurements (with calipers) a couple of years ago of an X758 and an X728, side by side. That post is still out there. It's the same frame.

Here is the thread: Frame comparison (pic heavy) 2013+ X700 vs 2012 X700 vs 1 series SCUT - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yep the K90 is a piece of crap. Good grief, do some research. :banghead:

·
Registered
349 Posts
All Kanzaki products are classed by series. In this case the series is the K9x series. The last number will indicate what options are applied to that particular K9x. But don't be fooled into thinking that the lower the number the fewer the available options. That's not usually the case with Kanzaki or the US subsidiary Tufftorq. For example in the K7x series the letter indicates options, and the K72A comes with the most options installed by the factory. All of the K9x transmissions/transaxles are created equal and only the options available or applied by the factory will change.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The new X700s do not have a "lighter frame." They have the exact same frame, minus the cutout for the loader and minus a couple of extra reinforcements on the front bracket. The engine mount is also "skeletonized,."

So *technically* it is lighter by a few pounds, but when people say something has a "lighter frame" they mean that the frame is thinner, weaker, etc. Or at least that is the implication.

I took some photos and measurements (with calipers) a couple of years ago of an X758 and an X728, side by side. That post is still out there. It's the same frame.

Here is the thread: Frame comparison (pic heavy) 2013+ X700 vs 2012 X700 vs 1 series SCUT - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information
Great post Mike, Kudos.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep the K90 is a piece of crap. Good grief, do some research. :banghead:
I am debating moving from an X748 to a X758 that is why I am asking.

From Tractor Data:

X740: two-wheel drive
X744: 2WD, all-wheel steer
X748: four-wheel drive
X749: 4WD, all-wheel steer
X748SE: upgraded seat, tires, and brush guard

John Deere X748 Engines:
24HP Yanmar 1116cc 3-cyl diesel
24HP Yanmar 904cc 3-cyl diesel
full engine details ...

Capacity:
Fuel: 6.5 gal [24.6 L]

3-Point Hitch:
Rear Type: 0 (optional)
1-Limited (optional)

Power Take-off (PTO):
Rear PTO: independent (optional)
Rear RPM: 540
Mid PTO: independent
Mid RPM: 2000
Front PTO: optional
Front RPM: 2000

Dimensions & Tires:
Wheelbase: 55.7 inches [141 cm]
Weight: 1080 to 1153 pounds
Front tire: 18x8.5-10
Rear tire: 26x12-12

Variants:
X748: 4WD 2-wheel steer
X744: 2WD 4-wheel steer
X740: 2WD 2-wheel steer

John Deere X758 Engine:
24HP Yanmar 993cc 3-cyl diesel
full engine details ...

Capacity:
Fuel: 5.2 gal [19.7 L]

3-Point Hitch:
Rear Type: 0*
1-limited*

Power Take-off (PTO):
Rear PTO: independent (optional)
Rear RPM: 540
Front PTO: independent
Clutch: electro-hydraulic

Dimensions & Tires:
Wheelbase: 54.5 inches [138 cm]
Weight: 1038 lbs [470 kg]
Front tire: 18x8.50-10
Rear tire: 26x12-12

So the X758 does indeed weigh less by roughly 10%.

·
Registered
349 Posts
The difference in weight is closer to 50lbs for the base configuration, or 4.5% which doesn't amount to a pee hole in the snow. The difference in weight is going to be attributed to the options, and even the tire type can mean a 10lb difference in weight.

What I really don't understand is your need to make a lateral move to a tractor in the same series. You own a very capable machine now and I can't for the life of me see a real reason to make the change from one model in the lineup to another in the same lineup. That would be like me moving from my 580 to a 590. What would I gain? A taller seat and EFI? I bought the 580 because that's what I wanted when I made the purchase, and dollars to doughnuts you did the same thing. Why waste money if you already own a tractor many people would kill for, only to trade it in at a loss for practically the same machine. Makes no sense.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The difference in weight is closer to 50lbs for the base configuration, or 4.5% which doesn't amount to a pee hole in the snow. The difference in weight is going to be attributed to the options, and even the tire type can mean a 10lb difference in weight.

What I really don't understand is your need to make a lateral move to a tractor in the same series. You own a very capable machine now and I can't for the life of me see a real reason to make the change from one model in the lineup to another in the same lineup. That would be like me moving from my 580 to a 590. What would I gain? A taller seat and EFI? I bought the 580 because that's what I wanted when I made the purchase, and dollars to doughnuts you did the same thing. Why waste money if you already own a tractor many people would kill for, only to trade it in at a loss for practically the same machine. Makes no sense.
Depending on the age of his x748 it may or may not have the hydraulic AWD. At this point his tractor may be 13 years old. Even at that age I'm sure the 748 has plenty of life left in it, sometimes it's nice to have new again.

Moving into one of these tractors with the AWD is a pretty significant upgrade there is nothing lateral about it.

Even if the x748 is the AWD drive version and he wants to move into a new tractor that is equivalent to what he already owns it's reasonable to ask questions about the differences between the old version and the new version. It also means all the attachments and add ons will transition over to the new tractor with ease. Well any attachment other than a front end loader that is.

As for the weight reduction on the newer tractors the major reason for the sliming the x7 line was to make sure it falls under the government weight requirement for mandating a ROPS. Which is the only reason a x759 does not exist in the US.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I bought this 2012 used 6 weeks ago with 271 hours on it from a reputable dealer, they have treated me well, no complaints. It has 2 coolant leaks, one is the radiator is shot and needs to be replaced and it appears a seal in the water pump is leaking also. I have 3 options:
1. Money back which I don't want.
2. Money back towards one of the many used X758's in stock with very low hours.
3. Repair this one, If I do this replace along with all rubber components (hoses, belt,) radiator and probably water pump. I will be on the hook for discounted price on parts and labor.

So I need to make a decision.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Repair the x748 if mounting a FEL to the machine is something you want to do.

Otherwise I would take the trade on a x758 that doesn't need fixing.

Very nice of the dealer to give both options 1 and 2. They sound like a good place they easily could have left you on the hook with the tractor and just sold you the parts to fix it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I bought this 2012 used 6 weeks ago with 271 hours on it from a reputable dealer, they have treated me well, no complaints. It has 2 coolant leaks, one is the radiator is shot and needs to be replaced and it appears a seal in the water pump is leaking also. I have 3 options:
1. Money back which I don't want.
2. Money back towards one of the many used X758's in stock with very low hours.
3. Repair this one, If I do this replace along with all rubber components (hoses, belt,) radiator and probably water pump. I will be on the hook for discounted price on parts and labor.

So I need to make a decision.
So now your predicament makes sense to this old guy. I would go for one of the other 758's, but if I couldn't find one I wanted then repair the leaks. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
Honestly, for the dealer I can’t believe free repairs isn’t equal to a refund for their bottom line, well I guess I can. Often the money needed to fix used ones far outweighs just buying one that’s already nice.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did a fair amount of reading before buying the X748. The consensus was the X748 was more desirable than the X758. I will not put a loader on it as it is not near a big enough machine to do justice to a loader. This one runs great but the previous owner must have had it sitting outside. The dealer replaced considerable parts on the deck due to corrosion. The anti scalp wheels and rods that hold them were all replaced. All three arbors and a pulley. The hydro was serviced. Both front tires replaced.

The dealer has a dozen X758 with very low hours.

I can easily afford to trade for an X758 or just buy a new one outright for cash it is just that I am a bargain hound and fret over decisions like this that in the grand scheme of things really aren't that important.:dunno:

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Honestly, for the dealer I can’t believe free repairs isn’t equal to a refund for their bottom line, well I guess I can. Often the money needed to fix used ones far outweighs just buying one that’s already nice.
The dealer I deal with always places a realistic resale value on the equipment they are taking on trade (based upon what the equipment actually sells for locally) and then they run it through the service department and get an estimate on the total cost to "refurbish" with necessary repairs, parts replacement.

For example, let's say a machine has a realistic "resale price" of $15,000. The service department determines the service of the machine, plus repairs and parts is $1,250. The "clean up and detail" cost is $250, their target margin is 20% you end up with;

$15,000 - 1,250 - 250 = $13,500 less 20% = $10,800 which seems like a logical approach to me........

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I did a fair amount of reading before buying the X748. The consensus was the X748 was more desirable than the X758. I will not put a loader on it as it is not near a big enough machine to do justice to a loader. This one runs great but the previous owner must have had it sitting outside. The dealer replaced considerable parts on the deck due to corrosion. The anti scalp wheels and rods that hold them were all replaced. All three arbors and a pulley. The hydro was serviced. Both front tires replaced.

The dealer has a dozen X758 with very low hours.

I can easily afford to trade for an X758 or just buy a new one outright for cash it is just that I am a bargain hound and fret over decisions like this that in the grand scheme of things really aren't that important.:dunno:
Here is how I would base a large part of my decision on what to do.............

A machine with 271 hours on it that required that many replaced deck parts due to corrosion and now needs a radiator and likely a water pump, is a machine which needs a lot of repairs for so little actual use. Replacing all of the belts and hoses and rubber products, that would mean replacing more parts on the 271 hour machine than I have on my 23 year old 455 with over 3,000 hours on it..........still running the OEM radiator, water pump and even the original hoses, I did replace the water pump Belt when I replaced the alternator.

Radiator sells for $499.31 at part number AM141840*
Water Pump sells for $256.07 part number MIA881532
Upper radiator hose M16348* for $16.41
Lower hose, depending upon VIN Number could be M150727* is $26.41

At retail, the parts are already at $800 ....... and that doesn't include belts, etc.

The weather elements are really tough on these machines and it sounds like this machine must have spent it's life in the elements. I think I would be trading up for an X758 and putting this experience in the rear view mirror. The only hesitation, is if the deal was so good that even spending the money on the repairs now needed still make the machine an attractive deal......and only the OP can know that..........

I would be concerned about the condition of the fuel system as the machine likely sat for very long periods with the same fuel in it. Same with the engine and trans axle, likely sat with the same oil for much of the last 10 plus years. Typically, someone who doesn't store a machine like this under cover, also doesn't maintain it properly, which is likely what happened with this machine.

Often, a machine with little actual use and a lot of elements exposure is worse than a machine which is shed kept and properly maintained with 1,500 hours on it.......

*Note, confirm the Part numbers for your machine based upon the VIN number as there are some differences depending upon the VIN number.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts