Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the holidays we had a chance to visit the family farm.

So, we thought we would nose around the sheds a bit to visit some of Johnny Tractor's friends and relatives.
...no, they don't REALLY call them by the names Katriel gives them!

Several Deere tractors of various sizes and a few old-timers too.

We didn't include the Case-IH/Steiger 9170, Farmall 706 Gas, or the Allis WD-45, but we got most of the rest of the tractors there.
We also included video of some of them in action.

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Tinmarks; very interesting video, and thanks a lot too. big jim p.s. if ralph and I are ever in the area, mybe we could come visit for a spell. ha!! thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,411 Posts
I'll never be the same again when I walk into our garage where our single tractor sits.:lol:
Thanks timmarks.:thumbup1gif:
x2 :munch:

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Thank you Tim, another great video. I think it's stunning to see the investment most farmers have on the line. A man has to be a bit of a genius to keep an operation like that going.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,219 Posts
Great video Tim and Katriel. Love the narrative. :thumbup1gif: Great looking machines. Do you still help on the farm?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Uh oh. Made a mistake (please use the updated link in this post)

Ok, I mistakenly uploaded a 'pre-release' version of this video instead of the finished version. Just noticed it this afternoon when attempting to show Katriel the finished product.

This new version has background shots of some of the equipment in action. I also sped it up a bit by removing some unnecessary (boring) commentary, as well as by using a trick in the video editing tool which allows us to speed up the video, hopefully keeping the video more interesting. So, even if you watched the original one above, please check out this new version. Katriel and I like it better.

And, if you watched the other one, please let us know which one you like best.

Again, sorry for mistakenly uploading the longer (boring) version.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That video is like a guided tour through the Fort Knox gold depository.
...only from the view of the true tractor-lovers here on GTT. Katriel's friends just stare blankly at her when she mentions tractors.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Tim, another great video. I think it's stunning to see the investment most farmers have on the line. A man has to be a bit of a genius to keep an operation like that going.
Jeff,

It is certainly difficult to balance everything. Only so many hours in the day. Hard to prioritize what to do. Mechanic? Accountant? Management? Electrician? Driver? Welder? Floor sweeper? ... I think this is the biggest challenge. My family would much rather drive and repair the equipment than manage employees, keep the books, etc. So, it is difficult to make sure that ALL of the various tasks get completed satisfactorily.

The last several years (up to 2014) have been good to most farmers. 2015 and the near future do not look as bright. So, another aspect of farming is thinking LONG term. Keeping enough 'dry powder' (cash/borrowing power) during the good years to make it through the lean years can be very difficult.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like both videos and my original statement stands.:thumbup1gif:
I actually find the 1025R or 3320 to be the most fun to drive anyway, so you should be smug and think "my 2 series is better than all of that big stuff"!

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
timmarks; I have watched both videos, but I have to say the 2nd video had more info about what the equipment's duties was, and for that I liked the 2nd more. both my grandparents owned farms when I was kid, and having bought them in the early 50's for around $5,000.00. it just amazes me how they was able to pay for them back then. both of them had extra jobs they worked to supplement their income to stay afloat. and now all these yrs looking at this equipment compared to their's is mind boggling-I think. thanks again. big jim

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Very nice video!
I enjoy looking at big farming equipment as much as heavy equipment.
When i was a kid my Uncle Mick was a IH tractor mechanic for the dealership in our town. That IH is from that same era. Remember all the new ones lined up. Tractor memories....:laugh:

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
...only from the view of the true tractor-lovers here on GTT. Katriel's friends just stare blankly at her when she mentions tractors.
No idea how old your daughter is but looks to be pretty close to age of my daughter. Katriel however seems to know her stuff when it comes to tractors and such. Tractors aren't my daughters thing but my son bleeds Deere green so I'm happy. Love the video and as always great commentary.

I thought the first video was pretty good, then watched the second one. Pretty nice collection of equipment. I still remember the Oliver 1850 my dad used to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No idea how old your daughter is but looks to be pretty close to age of my daughter. Katriel however seems to know her stuff when it comes to tractors and such. Tractors aren't my daughters thing but my son bleeds Deere green so I'm happy. Love the video and as always great commentary.

Katriel is 18, and a senior in high school. We are talking about putting together a video series where she talks about her high school experiences and her college future.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Katriel is 18, and a senior in high school. We are talking about putting together a video series where she talks about her high school experiences and her college future.
Seems like she has a bright future. Good luck to her. She's got four years on my daughter, but time flies and my daughter will be 18 before I know it.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Seems like she has a bright future. Good luck to her. She's got four years on my daughter, but time flies and my daughter will be 18 before I know it.
Lots of changes from 14 to 18. I would encourage you to get your daughter involved in your projects, even if she isn't interested.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts