Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My x300 was acting up. It has a Kawasaki motor. Checked valves i bent rods. One rod will go all the way in to motor. Other will stop at tappet guess that is what you call it.One side must be gone. Is this a complete tare down to fix . Is it worth it? Have not been able to find a youtube or picture to help me understand how to fix

·
Registered
536 Posts
Mike, Looking at the JD parts catalog, PC9519, it looks like a simple repair.

Loosen setscrew & remove rocker arm. Remove bent push rod and replace with new. Adjust valves per manual...I can't help there! Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike, Looking at the JD parts catalog, PC9519, it looks like a simple repair.

Loosen setscrew & remove rocker arm. Remove bent push rod and replace with new. Adjust valves per manual...I can't help there! Bob
The one push rod has no stop .It pushes all the way in.

·
Premium Member
10,946 Posts
The one push rod has no stop .It pushes all the way in.
It sounds like the valve tappet is broken or damaged. An inspection tear down is probably in order.

·
Premium Member
10,946 Posts
Is that just pull head or . pull engine
To inspect the cam and tappet you will need to get into the crankcase. On most 2-cyl engines this requires removal. What is the model number of your engine?

·
Registered
8,179 Posts
My x300 was acting up. It has a Kawasaki motor. Checked valves i bent rods. One rod will go all the way in to motor. Other will stop at tappet guess that is what you call it.One side must be gone. Is this a complete tare down to fix . Is it worth it? Have not been able to find a youtube or picture to help me understand how to fix
New engine is about $1,000 to $1,275, depending upon precisely which engine you have. I would tear the engine down to see exactly what's wrong. Also, you should get a Technical Service Manual to help you with the proper procedures and to give you the specifications which you are going to need to put the engine together correctly.

The John Deere Technical Service Manuals are not cheap, but they are very comprehensive and provide the details. Just be prepared to pay $75 to $125 for the correct Technical Service Manual. Be careful getting them off Ebay and other online sources as there are some sellers who sell "generic service manuals" and they are not what you want. John Deere is pretty protective of these Authorized Technical Service Manuals so make sure you are getting a "real one" and not a knock off which isn't complete or lacks the detail you need.

Please make sure to let us know what you find and how you resolve this, whether you repair it, have someone else repair it or if the engine is damaged enough to be replaced......

·
Premium Member
10,946 Posts
will probably wait until winter to tear into this. Sounds like a chore LOL
I did some search'n and it looks like depending on the year the X300 uses either a Kawasaki FH491V or FS541V. JD wants $195 for a soft copy of the Technical Manual. Before spending the big bucks on the JD Manual, I'd do some Googling around. I was able to download the OEM Kawasaki service manual for my X500's Kawasaki engine and it is much more detailed and complete than what is in my JD X500 Technical Manual. Also, check Ebay.

·
Premium Member
10,946 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,946 Posts
According to the exploded view it will need to be removed as the camshaft is accessed from below after removing the crankcase cover. This is actually quite easy. On some Kohler twins you can access the cam shaft from the top by removing a top cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
831 Posts
the real question is why did it break a tappet or camshaft .....and if the broken what additional damage occured .....IE ...chunks of metal in crankcase etc..

while it may be a very easy fix....i would be on the lookout for a engine...possibly see if yours can be a core on a reman or similar

i will admit i had a whole different picture of the problem when i saw the thread topic....bent rods vs bent push rods

·
Premium Member
10,946 Posts
the real question is why did it break a tappet or camshaft .....and if the broken what additional damage occured .....IE ...chunks of metal in crankcase
Yes, ultimately that is the question. But, sometimes things just break. The lobes on most cams are just pressed on. It’s possible a cam lobe got out of position. If the OP is lucky any broken parts dropped harmlessly into the crankcase.

The compression release counterweight has broken twice on a B&S Intek engine I have and in both cases the broken parts fell into the crankcase sump without incident.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts