Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m working on getting a roadside find free LX188 up and going again (link here (Roadside Find LX188) I’ve replaced the carb, one coil that seemed to be bad and both spark plugs. When I first tried to start it the carb was puking gas out of it. I put a new carb on and it started fine but smoked and smelled a little gassy. Pulled the plugs and the left one was wet. Installed new plugs and it ran the same. I tested the exhaust pipe temperature on each side with a temp gun. The left side is noticeably cooler than the right by 100° or more. I borrowed a coil from my 345 and the exhaust temp improved but still less and the smoke went away. I ordered a new coil and have that installed and it still is running much lower exhaust amp on left side.
Ok so now my question- is it possible for the igniter to go bad on one cylinder and not the other? Can it partly work on the one side, where maybe a weak coil wouldn’t fire very well? I’ve read some info on testing the igniter with a spark tester, I’m going to try that today and see what the results are from that test.
Next step will be to remove the rocker cover and check valve clearance. I have new gaskets for those on order so I’m waiting until those come in before pulling the cover. I would think improper valve clearance would cause backfiring or some other symptoms?

·
Registered
355 Posts
That seems to be the most common failure mode, loss of spark on the left cylinder.

It's an expensive part, unfortunately. I'd suggest swapping with your 345 ingniter to test it.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That seems to be the most common failure mode, loss of spark on the left cylinder.

It's an expensive part, unfortunately. I'd suggest swapping with your 345 ingniter to test it.
That’s my plan for next troubleshooting step. The current igniter shows spark on the inline spark tester while cranking.
Looking at replacement options- new from various sellers $220+, used on eBay $75 or aftermarket on amazon $35-$75. I’m leaning to gamble on the cheap Amazon replacement due to their favorable return policies if it doesn’t work or last too long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.