Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I became a first time tractor owner (2032r) this winter so entering my first summer season. I’m in the mountains and my 10 acres is very hilly and steep. I’m wondering if I should leave my chains on year round. Would it buy me some extra safety (my main consideration)? Would it reduce my risk of getting stuck? Are there any downsides other than the rough ride? If you have hilly or muddy property, why do you not keep chains on?

I have a gravel drive, some paths that are a mix of gravel and dirt, a fairly fat area that’s a soft dirt/sand, and a flat 1/2 acre of grass that I’ll be accessing with this machine but mowing with a different machine. Most the property is too wooded and steep to access with my tractor, though I am interested in maybe cutting some new paths. The drive and paths are pretty sloped. I have 4 link rear ladder chains I got from dealer but considering getting some better chains and going all 4 wheels.

Appreciate the input.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,340 Posts
I had a JD 650 for 20 some years, Rear chains were on it from day 2 or 3 and never came off.
Our 2008 JD 2320 has only had the chains off once, last summer.
I'd skip the front chains for summer time work.
Where are you located? Knowing your location lets us help you. (Maybe add your location to your profile)

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
You can leave them on if you want to.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I think you can leave them on if you want especially if your not going to be using it for mowing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts