Votes: 21 80.8%
  • Sell It!

Votes: 5 19.2%
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just took in this tractor from a local customer who bought it new. He kept it out at his hunting property and it only has 210 hours on it! Stored inside his barn all those years and used for mowing trails and putting in food plots. It's just a beautiful tractor, starts up with the flick of a wrist, and has a low, quiet purr at idle. I've already listed it for sale, but if I were to ever start a tractor collection of my own then this one would definitely join the club. It's a gem. I drove it around aimlessly today for 20 minutes just because, haha!

So, what would you do? I'm in the business of selling tractors, but this is one I don't wanna sell!

Here's the listing.

Attachments

·
Registered
592 Posts
Very nice piece. If I were feeling like you are about it, I would hang on to it for a while. You surely don't want to regret an irrational or quick decision. Keep it for now, put a few hours on it, do some improvements to it and see how you feel down the road about selling it. That's my humble opinion. Nice find.

·
Super Moderator
5,969 Posts
If I were ever in the market for a used CUT, the 790 would probably be at the top of my shopping list. IMO, it's pretty much the ideal size machine. That said, you're in the biz of selling equipment and in that condition, it should fetch a pretty penny! It's a tough choice! If it were me, I'd keep it.

·
Registered
25,202 Posts
I came very close to buying a 790 when I bought my 2520. Don't know exactly what it was about the 790 - like you said it just purrs.

I ended up with the 2520 for the hydro for finish mowing. If not for that.....

·
Premium Member
2,000 Posts
What are the stats on a 790? Weight? HP? Lift amount? I’m just curious. That’s a good looking tractor.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are the stats on a 790? Weight? HP? Lift amount? I’m just curious. That’s a good looking tractor.
27HP, around 2,800 lbs with the loader, doesn't lift a whole lot -- maybe 700ish to full height. It's just got that intangible quality as soon as you turn it on. Feels old school, yet fairly modern. Hard to explain I guess.

·
Registered
25,202 Posts
To add what GWT said - it’s really a basic tractor. Think of the present day “E” series - kind of bare bones. It doesn’t have a mid PTO and the hydraulics aren’t very stout. They are great tractors for pulling a brush hog or for light plowing/disking/harrow type work. They are a manual transmission with a live PTO.

Also like he said - it’s hard to explain. I think part of the allure for me is it is like old tractors from the past in a way. And I agree about the engine - for some reason they put a smile on your face when you fire it up.

A similar feeling is when running an old IH Cub.

·
Premium Member
15,179 Posts
27HP, around 2,800 lbs with the loader, doesn't lift a whole lot -- maybe 700ish to full height. It's just got that intangible quality as soon as you turn it on. Feels old school, yet fairly modern. Hard to explain I guess.
Nice! I know what you mean about the build as there is still an abundance of metal used in the construction.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
We have 2 on the farm, they are just bulletproof and do about anything you ask them to do. I don’t think I could ever sell mine.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
You know the answer. Your in the business of selling tractors and as stated above it isn’t a hydro. As they say though the shoemakers wife goes barefoot, so if you do not find the gearshift to be an issue you will probably never find a better value. So what ever you do I will consider you took my advice.:good2:

It looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor and even though it’s older it certainly will be good for your reputation as a quality piece. Two years before I bought my 2038R I found an 855 in Texas that was under 100 hours and had been sitting. Same thing, it looked like new. I found a way to get it up here but then decided I just didn’t need it. I probably made a mistake in not taking it but I hope it found a good home.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Was the rear ends cast iron or aluminum on those tractors? I guess it depends on what you would use it for. No sense in keeping it so it can continue to sit around. Lack of electronics, no emissions, and if the rear end is cast then that could be a heck of a "working" tractor. If you only need a tractor to run around the yard, push snow, and in general simple upkeep of your property, I would sell it. You always have plenty of tractors around to serve those needs anyways. That tractor just looks like it would rip apart and then drive over the pieces of any compact tractor that JD has been making recently.

·
Premium Member
11,896 Posts
I don't know.

It is pretty old.

Not many snowflakes will know what to do with a clutch & gearshift.

Flyweight gave 500 for one with a stuck clutch.

I'll give you a 1,000 and you won't have to worry about being stuck with a dinosaur.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I'm looking to replace my ancient 650 and this tractor is the right size and price. I do want a cab so I can get rid of the unreliable pickup truck & snowplow. They're available for the 790 for about a kilobuck which ain't bad. I only need a loader and 3PH. No mid PTO required.

I was tempted to call and wire the money tomorrow sight unseen as this one looks real nice, but given that I'd mainly use it for loader work, I think I'd prefer a shuttle or power shift transmission if not a hydro.

Good luck!

Al

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
I'm guessing the 13000.00 your asking in your video is every bit what the guy bought this for in 2003.
I'm also guessing you gave him 6000.00 or so since it was a fire sale.
It's beautiful, they don't make them with real steel anymore.
Keep it for a showroom conversation piece.
My 70 GTO doesn't have the new technology either, but my heart skips a beat everytime I fire her up.
The broken necks when I go down the road are priceless!
Set this next to a new 2032 and point out how far we've come, it will make sales.
Just a old guy's 2 cents.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Well, I'd keep it

I bought a 790 with a little more use showing and it's been a very good tractor. I wish it had better hydraulics, extendable lift arms etc. but I'd be in trouble if it was mine because I would have to explain to my wife why I need two almost identical tractors. (Or maybe not, as long as I was careful to not let her see both at the same time.)

I'd say that price is a little high except that tractor looks pristine, better than some that came off dealer's lots. No fading of the dash, no dust etc.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
11,896 Posts
Ok, to keep Treefarmer out of marital trouble and since there is no dust on the dash,

I'll go $1,500.00

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
You mentioned starting a collection. This is an excellent piece to start it with. As a collector piece, it doesn't matter which transmission it has. I haven't read of anyone with a collection of small utility tractors. Find an 850, 950 and 1050 and away you go.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Keep it, if you can afford it. They are excellent tractors, and they will continue to shine, with the field of tier 4, aluminum transmissioned (the 790 transmission is cast iron), lower ground clearance tractors (the 790 has better clearance in the back, compared to the newer stuff) out there. It would always sell, because of quality and reputation.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts