Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Heavy Hitch tooth bar over the winter and installed it, but haven't used it yet. I have also yet to use the bucket for anything meaningful.
I do have a small project in mind for the tooth bar, but first I have to move some composted manure to the wife's flower beds.
My plan is to just dump it in the lawn tractor's trailer, haul it to the bed, and distribute it with a shovel.

Anyway, can I leave the tooth bar on, or will it get in the way?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Shouldn't cause any trouble to leave it on. It only takes 1 or 2 minutes to attach/remove though.
My only complaint about heavy hitch is the bar inside the bucket doesn't let all the material dump out.

You also have to consider where those teeth are while working. I have "stabbed" a few things around my place forgetting that they were there.... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Leave it on.

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
If you’re not worried about the grade you’re scooping it from, then you can leave it on. You’ll actually get more volume per scoop and have better bite into the pile

·
Registered
715 Posts
Leave it on, but when you park, make sure the teeth are resting on the ground. You don't want to risk having anyone (or you) inadventently walking or stumbling into the teeth. The Pyranha tooth bar is even worse since it is so sharp. I'm just relaying a lesson that was painfully learned.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I 100% agree with what JW said above. I never lift mine. I use compressed air to clean out the sockets on the set screws, and a 3/8 impact with a bit similar to what Kbar linked to. To go on/off I slide it into the bucket @ full curl, lower the bucket, dump it just enough to slide out, then stand it up on the chisel tips leaning against the side of my garage. Putting it back on is just the reverse.

EDIT: Just to expand on this some, it takes about 5 minutes and I have done it several times. Personally, I would take it off for ALL of the reasons JW stated above - but that's just me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Agree with other comments about being careful in use when leaving on. With a little awareness I find I can leave it on most of the time. I too find it heavy but manageable.

I have one of these in the tool box on the tractor for removing:

I like having it in the toolbox for when I am away from the garage. An alternate tool from those already suggested, but just a suggestion - obviously use what will work for you.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I usually took mine off because I hated to have those spears out in front of the thing. I even had a guy come over with a metal grinder and take the sharp corners off my present FEL.

I never found a tooth bar very useful.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Great info here, I just received my HH tooth bar yesterday.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I leave my piranha on but I see why guys might want to take the HH version off. Those spikes seem like they'd be in the way for surface work.
I don't think I've ever taken my Piranha off as there really isn't any need to go back to the flat edge. The Piranha is find for back dragging and while it's not great for digging, it's much better than the flat edge. It's really good clearing brush and small trees. I just tilt the bucket down slightly when parking the tractor and that keeps the edge a bit safer but I also don't have any kids playing around it. If I did, I'd tilt the bucket all the way down and park it with the bucket vertical and pressure off that way, probably resting on a scrap board.

Treefarmer.

Reactions: Mackford13 and trav

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
I put my tooth bar on when I need it. And then I leave it there until it feels in the way, then I take it off. It all depends what is on the agenda for the day. What usually happens though, I take it off then wish it was on or leave it on and wish it was off, (I get confused easy as you see). :unsure:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have the HH tooth bar and tend to leave it on until I need it off, then off until I need it on. I try to organize tasks but mama nature rules the schedule. The HH seems to get heavier each time I move it.
If I were rich I would have 3 buckets, one stock, one with the HH and one with the Piranha. I would also have more storage space, real floors both level and flat, and a lot of other toys (umh, tools). As it is I am afraid to get a lottery ticket. I might win and die on the way to collect.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I have the HH tooth bar and tend to leave it on until I need it off, then off until I need it on. I try to organize tasks but mama nature rules the schedule. The HH seems to get heavier each time I move it.
If I were rich I would have 3 buckets, one stock, one with the HH and one with the Piranha. I would also have more storage space, real floors both level and flat, and a lot of other toys (umh, tools). As it is I am afraid to get a lottery ticket. I might win and die on the way to collect.
What? If you win the lottery they don't just show up at your door with a check? Dang, where's the service?

Now I've got to rethink the $10 or so I spend every year on the lottery. I mean, heck if they don't deliver what's the point?

Treefarmer

Reactions: WestTexasFarmBoy

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
When I first moved to CNY in 86 I had a recurring dream about 6 weird numbers. I wrote them down and tried to find out what them meant. A few weeks later I found out about the lottery here. I looked at the numbers again and they fit the type so I checked. If I had picked those numbers when I dreamed them I would have won. Back then the grand prize was about 2 million over 20 years. Haven't had that kind of dream since. Now, the few times I get a lottery ticket I consider it entertainment expense. At most I have matched two numbers.
Now I am leery of winning. I know Murphy personally. As I said, if I guess good numbers someone else will get the $$.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I don't think I've ever taken my Piranha off as there really isn't any need to go back to the flat edge. The Piranha is find for back dragging and while it's not great for digging, it's much better than the flat edge. It's really good clearing brush and small trees. I just tilt the bucket down slightly when parking the tractor and that keeps the edge a bit safer but I also don't have any kids playing around it. If I did, I'd tilt the bucket all the way down and park it with the bucket vertical and pressure off that way, probably resting on a scrap board.

Treefarmer.
Yep same here I leave my piranha all the time too. Works just fine for back dragging & when winter comes my edge tamers fit right over it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts