Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have been using a ratchet strap. I like this better. What length are those?

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Super Moderator
8,202 Posts
Same here although I use a tie down strap. They will bleed down fairly quickly. Same deal if you remove the BH. If left on the stabs they'll leak down and let the BH sit on its mainframe.

Reactions: BigJim55 and Gizmo2

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Same here although I use a tie down strap. They will bleed down fairly quickly. Same deal if you remove the BH. If left on the stabs they'll leak down and let the BH sit on its mainframe.
Which is why I always block up the main swing frame at the height it is when disconnecting. I made 2 hooks out of 5gal. pail handle wire connecting a length of dog chain (painted yellow!). I don't believe the stabilizers bleed through the spools, more like the oil bypasses the cheezy cylinder piston seals. (I say "cheezy" because mine rusted pretty well when exposed the first winter. Keep 'em retracted or well grease protected!!!!! These are the only hydraulic cylinders that I ever saw that would rust that quick! I guess JD figgers a line in the manual about grease will allow them to use cheap-0 chrome on there.)

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
:thumbup1gif: I've been doing that for years.
Me too, actually found out about this on GTT on another thread somewhere that I can't find right now. Works great.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
These are a 2 pack of 34-36" rubber straps from tractor supply. I had been using a ratcheted cloth strap in the past but it was a real pain in the butt when it tangled, binded or got wet. I can take these two rubber ones off in an instant and lay them across the foot rest and seems a little easier. Yeah, I didn't say I was the sharpest knife in the drawer, chuckle.

·
Banned
419 Posts
Stablizers

If you feel really creative. Take a 1/4 turn Hi Pressure valve and put in the hose connection and the put the hose into it. When raised you can lock in place by closing the valve. Very simple to do and only has to be on the one hose to keep the piston locked in place with the oil. Just like placing a bar or a chain between the two in the up position.

·
Registered
146 Posts
These are a 2 pack of 34-36" rubber straps from tractor supply. I had been using a ratcheted cloth strap in the past but it was a real pain in the butt when it tangled, binded or got wet. I can take these two rubber ones off in an instant and lay them across the foot rest and seems a little easier. Yeah, I didn't say I was the sharpest knife in the drawer, chuckle.
Of course my local TS doesn't have any and apparently that is the only place you can buy them....Can't even find them on the interwebs anywhere else. Oh well guess I will stick with what I have until I can find a suitable replacement.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,103 Posts
Of course my local TS doesn't have any and apparently that is the only place you can buy them....Can't even find them on the interwebs anywhere else. Oh well guess I will stick with what I have until I can find a suitable replacement.
Find a place the sells Bungee Cord, buy 10 feet and make your own. I use this stuff all the time and have it on hand. I also use it for tire chain tensioners.
You can even buy the hooks for the ends if you like or just use something else. It comes in a few different sizes also.

bungee-cord-1-4-white-black.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts