Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Kenny is now offering a High Pressure Test Gauge, or HPTG for short, for sale. They are so new, he doesn't quite have them up on the Kenny's Bolt-on Hooks site yet.

Edit 11/10/13: The new webpage is now online at: Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks <<Hydraulics>>
I managed to get my hands on one, thought I'd show it to you guys.:thumbup1gif:

First off let's explore what it is and what it's used for. If you know Kenny, he's one of our resident hydraulic gurus. To work on, troubleshoot, repair, and understand hydraulics, one must know about flow and pressure. This HPTG is a gauge mainly used to find out what your tractor's relief valve is set at. It can also test other hydraulic pressures on your tractor. If you suspect you may have a low pressure issue, this is the tool you'll need to have to start troubleshooting.

Kenny's HPTG is a liquid filled gauge that reads up to 5000 psi, more than adequate for our tractors. The 0-5000 psi range is actually perfect for our tractors. Most of the SCUTs and CUTs will have a normal pressure between 2000 and 3000 psi. This puts the normal pressure right in the middle of the gauge where it's easiest to read and most accurate. It also gives you room to see excess pressure in addition to low pressure. Having a liquid filled gauge is also important. Liquid filled gauges usually have something like a glycerin or silicone in them. This dampens any fluctuations and smooths out the needle making it easier to read and makes it longer lasting. It comes with about a 2 foot long hose and a 1/4" male QD that will fit all of JD's medium and sub-compact tractors. The gauge is fully assembled and has a thread sealant already applied. This is truly a "plug and play" tool. :good2:

IMG_3198.JPG IMG_3199.jpg

Here you can barely see the thread sealant. Talk about neat and clean. That's attention to detail right there.

IMG_3200.jpg

So how does it work? Quite simple actually. Just plug it into one of your loader hydraulic port quick disconnects. Here I plugged it into my yellow port.

IMG_3201.jpg

Now according to my tech manual, the hydraulic system relief valve setting for my 2720 is supposed to be 2421 psi. With the tractor running, actuate the joystick to activate the port you hooked into. For me it was bucket dump/ joystick to the right. Only actuate it long enough to get a reading, definitely no longer than 30 seconds. When the fluid is flowing through the relief valve, it builds up heat very fast. You'll hear the engine labor a bit harder too. Think about it. All that energy the engine is putting out is going somewhere, it's being converted to heat in your hydraulic fluid.

IMG_3203.JPG

Looks like I'm down almost 200 psi on hydraulic performance. So I'm off to go find a few wrenches and adjust my relief valve. I should be able to lift a few more lbs in the loader after adjusting it up to spec. Overall it's a very good quality tool that more than paid for itself in found performance on my tractor on the first use. :thumbup1gif:

Thanks Kenny!:drinks:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,622 Posts
Diesel, Can I borrow it? Damn nice looking unit and it's about time someone made up one to sell on here. Thanks

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Very nice. When will these be available? And how much?

Will these thread into the backhoe circuits for testing the pressures there?

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts
Very nice. When will these be available? And how much?

Will these thread into the backhoe circuits for testing the pressures there?

When: Soon, like as soon as the webmaster (me) gets off his lazy a** and builds the new page, hopefully this weekend. That's the downside of being the CEO, the E stands for Everything.

How Much: $45.00 plus shipping

BH Testing: I guess, just not 100% sure what's needed for that yet! But since there are no QD's it can't be plug and play.

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
It appears that some of the guys act as supervisor and enlist their wives to do a lot of the work for them. You might want to consider that approach.

Don :usa

·
Premium Member
10,653 Posts
Hi Kenny. Any update on when the pressure gauge will be orderable?

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts
Hi Kenny. Any update on when the pressure gauge will be orderable?
Soon, very soon. I am waiting on another order from my supplier since I have figured out some of the other fittings I needed to stock. I have also been working on the webpage...

Check your PM's...

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Finally! Just completed my order and I was very tempted to get another set of hooks but I resisted the temptation! I'm very excited, I love tools!

·
Premium Member
10,653 Posts
I just checked my 2720 using Kenny's gauge. I used the #3 (Black) bucket-raise/lower port. The gauge read 2500 PSI. That's 79 PSI above what it is supposed to be. It's in the 40's here today and I ran the tractor for about 15 mins, taking an opportunity to grade some dips in my gravel driveway. I could detect some warmth from my 3rd SCV valve housing so I assumed it was warmed up enough. I'm assuming the pressure may read higher if the fluid isn't hot enough.

So Diesel's pressure was a tad low on his 2720 and mine is apparently a tad high. I will check it again when/if we have warmer weather.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I bought Kenny's gauge today, and I'm cranking my pressure up to 2650ish.

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts
New Video Posted

We made a new video the other day on using the gauge and testing the pressure on tractors:

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Excellent video and explanation. :drinks: This would be great to watch even if you don't purchase a gauge. Every tractor owner should know these hydraulic basics within this video. :good2:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just a couple questions/comments. Wouldn't you want to test the relief pressure at high idle? I know on my 3520 the pressure reading does change a bit depending on engine rpm and the test procedure in the manual says use high idle. Also in the tech manual says not to allow valves to relieve more than 10 seconds at a time. I suppose that value may differ depending on tractor model.

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts
Just a couple questions/comments. Wouldn't you want to test the relief pressure at high idle? I know on my 3520 the pressure reading does change a bit depending on engine rpm and the test procedure in the manual says use high idle. Also in the tech manual says not to allow valves to relieve more than 10 seconds at a time. I suppose that value may differ depending on tractor model.
Technically, the pressure should be the same at all engine spreads-its the flow (GPM) that varies with the engine/pump speed.

·
Premium Member
10,653 Posts
I noticed my 2720 pressure changed about 40-50 PSI from idle to 2000 RPM.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I noticed my 2720 pressure changed about 40-50 PSI from idle to 2000 RPM.
All pumps have internal leakage. The leakage will be more noticeable when the pump is putting out a low volume. As the speed of the pump is increased this internal leakage will be less noticeable because the pump is making up the difference with more volume. Hence the 40-50psi difference between idle and 2k rpm.

·
Registered
11,202 Posts
Nice video Kenny. This is none of my business, but did you have to compensate Gizmo as an actor? :laugh:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Kenny, great video! Thanks for doing it.:thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif:

Just wondering, whose tractor did you use for the video?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts