Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, thanks go out to member Jep. I bought these from him, a smooth transaction, and his description of the condition didn't disappoint. I'm very happy with them.

Just before he was selling them I was using my backhoe. I had the tractor set in a spot when I thought to myself, "If I had Ken's step mounted to the inside of the BH, it would be easier to mount the BH". The way the tractor was positioned, mounted on the outside would have been tough to mount the BH.

Since I usually mount the BH from the left side, I thought I'd try this setup. I only got them bolted on tonight and haven't hooked up the BH yet to try them out, but I'm pretty confident they'll work out. A quick measurement is telling me they should clear the tire by about 3". I know there'll be times I'll have to mount from the right side, so if this works I may get a set for the other side. The other option I'm thinking of is taking the outer off the left side and put it on the inner right.

Thought I'd throw this out there for all to see.

20190617_172344_resized.jpg

20190617_172408_resized.jpg

·
Administrator
17,088 Posts
This is the first time I've seen this! Very cool KYLEW :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update if anyone's interested. You can't just install one of these steps on the inside without modifying the main bracket. It hits the cylinder's hose mounting boss. I've done the modification to one of the brackets and will post some pictures soon, including a template.

·
Administrator
20,285 Posts
Nice job sir!

It’s hard to surprise the great KennyD like that. :mocking:

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Template:
Photos and info coming soon. Having problems with my new tablet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's what the bracket looks like after cutting. I cut it with a portable bandsaw, but I suspect it would cut easily with a jigsaw too. The metal is stout, but also soft enough that the bandsaw cut it quickly and easily. Cleaned up the edge with a bench grinder and fine tuned it with a file.

20190905_193304.jpg

A quick test fit for clearance with the stabilizer fully extended, lifting the wheel off the ground.
At this point, I was mostly concerned about the hose mounting boss and the hose itself. Cutting the angle on the bracket allows for clearance for both. If you look closely, you can see the hose sleeve touches the step itself slightly. It doesn't dig in and misses the hose itself by almost a 1/4". 99.9% of the time it wouldn't even touch the sleeve in real world use, as I would rarely extend the stabilizer fully. To help with that rare situation, I'm changing the step's mounting carriage bolts. Ken's original bolts are 1". I changed them to 1-1/2" and put 2) 3/8" flat washers on each, between the main bracket and the step itself. This pushes the step out 1/8", and gives better clearance between the step and the hose sleeve. I don't have pictures of that yet, as the main bracket's still in the paint shop. Ok....it's drying in the garage :laugh:

20190905_193526.jpg

Another angle shot during the test fit stage. It's hard to see, but the wheel's completely off the ground with the cylinder fully extended.

20190905_193537.jpg

A close up, with the cylinder fully raised. Test fit stage and without the washers spacing the step out.
20190905_193551.jpg

I'll post pictures of the finished project when the paint dries.

·
Administrator
17,088 Posts
That is sure thinking outside the box!

:good2:

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Few shots of the finished product.

Showing the inner step that has the spacers.

20190906_154411.jpg

20190906_160246.jpg

A shot showing both inner and outer, in relation to the BH & tractor.

20190906_162114.jpg

Couple shots with the stabilizer down, putting pressure on the ground but not lifting the wheels. This is the normal position I would set the stabilizer in use. Notice the amount of clearance and that the hose sleeve is far away from the step.

20190906_162108.jpg

20190906_162349.jpg

Be interesting if anyone else does this mod.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts