Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the combo kit. I have my holes drilled. While waiting on paint to arrive, I thought this would be a good time to ask if you prefer the hooks, or the clevis, on top of the bucket?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
17,943 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
Hooks on top. I'd like to see when the chain slips off the grab hook and it will especially if installed under and you curl the bucket.

·
Premium Member
12,105 Posts
I bought the combo kit. I have my holes drilled. While waiting on paint to arrive, I thought this would be a good time to ask if you prefer the hooks, or the clevis, on top of the bucket?
Hooks on top clevis on the bottom. I keep my shackles attached as it makes it very easy to attach tie downs or ratchet straps. In the several years I've had them installed they haven't gotten in the way of hauling anything.

Note: mine are painted as I bought them before Kenny started plating them.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, everyone said hooks on top, so that's what I will do. The reason I asked is because I read where a guy said the hooks should always go inside the bucket due to eliminating the risk of a strap or chain breaking and coming back and hitting you. His argument was that the bucket acts as a protection shield.

Also, what is the best method for getting paint inside the cut holes in the bucket? I want to put a layer of paint on the fresh metal to eliminate future rust.

·
Premium Member
12,105 Posts
Well, everyone said hooks on top, so that's what I will do. The reason I asked is because I read where a guy said the hooks should always go inside the bucket due to eliminating the risk of a strap or chain breaking and coming back and hitting you. His argument was that the bucket acts as a protection shield.
I think I know who you are referring to. There is no question that if you are pulling hard on something and break a chain you are probably better protected if the hooks are inside the bucket. Most folks probably do more lifting and load securing with the chains than they do flat out pulling backwards.

Also, what is the best method for getting paint inside the cut holes in the bucket? I want to put a layer of paint on the fresh metal to eliminate future rust.
I never found it to be much of a problem as the bucket gets plenty of other scratches and scrapes from normal use. But if you prefer, just smear a little paint in the hole after drilling and wait for it to dry before installing the bolts.

·
Administrator
17,943 Posts
You should not be pulling with the loader, that's what the drawbar is for...Plus you are not going to break 5/16" G70 chains with a one series.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I know who you are referring to. There is no question that if you are pulling hard on something and break a chain you are probably better protected if the hooks are inside the bucket. Most folks probably do more lifting and load securing with the chains than they do flat out pulling backwards.
Come to think about it, I'll be using the hooks mostly for lifting and securing loads, not for pulling.

I never found it to be much of a problem as the bucket gets plenty of other scratches and scrapes from normal use. But if you prefer, just smear a little paint in the hole after drilling and wait for it to dry before installing the bolts.
Yeah, I'm not too worried about it either, but it's more of a OCD thing. It's probably not true, but I also read this, "paint drilled holes before bolting and tighten Shackle bolts with a wrench or they will vibrate loose."

·
Registered
175 Posts
[/QUOTE]
I've had a lot of success using Que-Tips to "touch up" small spots or to get into the holes I've drilled. Have fun with the new hooks - I don't think you'll ever regret having the new capacities to work (or is that play????) .

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've had a lot of success using Que-Tips to "touch up" small spots or to get into the holes I've drilled.
Thanks for the recommendation. That's the route I'll go in.

Have fun with the new hooks - I don't think you'll ever regret having the new capacities to work (or is that play????) .
I usually enjoy what I do on the tractor, so work and play are interchangeable most of the time! I have a lot of landscaping that I'm planning to do, so picking up larger rocks will be one of the many uses for the new hook/clevis combo. (y)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Note: mine are painted as I bought them before Kenny started plating them.
Since my hooks are plated, do they require any type of paint prep? Or, can I just spray them?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would just use a little clear silicone when you clamp it all together instead of paint
Yeah, but you're trying to be logical. I want this thing to look pretty. 😁

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Understand that totally
But guessing you won’t see the paint or clear silicone underneath those sweet looking new hooks
Oh, so you're talking about spraying silicone between the the bucket and the mounting plate? Is the purpose to keep unwanted moisture from causing problems?

·
Administrator
17,943 Posts
Oh, so you're talking about spraying silicone between the the bucket and the mounting plate? Is the purpose to keep unwanted moisture from causing problems?
No, not "spraying" it, rather he is suggesting you use a sealant like silicone caulk under the hooks to keep moisture out, like the instructions mention.

·
Registered
393 Posts
If it was me, I'd use "neutral cure" as opposed to "acid cure" caulk.

Sent from my RCT6773W22 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 53 Posts