Nice job Jamie, thanks for sharing :good2:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,775 Posts
I'm with ya bama21fs :good2:

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a pair just haven't put them on yet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just put mine on yesterday as well. Was very happy with the end result. I did find out that I'm due for some new cordless tools after that project. I was going to leave them as is but I do like the painted version better so I'll likely take them off and paint them now. I'm guessing it would be best to hit them with a primer first. What did others do on the paint end? Gray spray primer?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Just put mine on yesterday as well. Was very happy with the end result. I did find out that I'm due for some new cordless tools after that project. I was going to leave them as is but I do like the painted version better so I'll likely take them off and paint them now. I'm guessing it would be best to hit them with a primer first. What did others do on the paint end? Gray spray primer?
Craig

Did yours come plated in a gold-ish color? Per Kenny's info on his page that's zinc chromate plating (I believe) and is primer and protective coating all in one. Painting over it would be purely aesthetic, but paint away if you like-though no spray primer is necessary.

Kenny's older ( a year or two ago) hooks, etc. came in primer gray, but if you got yours recently yours should be the newer plates ones.

There was a thread in this very topic a month or so ago with lots more info, I just don't have a moment to locate it for you or post a link.

·
Administrator
20,308 Posts
Craig

Did yours come plated in a gold-ish color? Per Kenny's info on his page that's zinc chromate plating (I believe) and is primer and protective coating all in one. Painting over it would be purely aesthetic, but paint away if you like-though no spray primer is necessary.

Kenny's older ( a year or two ago) hooks, etc. came in primer gray, but if you got yours recently yours should be the newer plates ones.

There was a thread in this very topic a month or so ago with lots more info, I just don't have a moment to locate it for you or post a link.
Here you go. :thumbup1gif:

Decisions decisions decisions.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks guys for the link and the info on the hooks. I was thinking I had read that it was recommended that they should be painted. Not sure where I got that from. I guess it shows I didn't pay close enough attention to the web site info. I've been schooled. I guess I'll be glad that I paid close enough attention to the install instructions. I did read those. That's probably more important. Will probably leave things as they are for now although my guess is my next trip to the dealer or TSC I wouldn't be surprised to pick up a can of green spray paint.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, roughed the hooks up a bit with wet sandpaper (wet cloth). Coated all hooks, top washers, and top of bolts with gray primer and then lightly roughed them up again with the wet cloth. Lightly sprayed again with primer and roughed up again for green paint. Sprayed green paint on all parts listed above, lightly sanded with wet cloth for final green spray. I know all the wet cloth applications was a bit overkill but I really wanted the paint to stick and be as tough as possible. Then I bolted them on using a impact wrench and a open end wrench (I put about 100 lbs or so torque on the bolts, not really sure my impact wrench does not have calculated settings but none the less, did the job). Touched up any tool marks left by the open ended wrench with green paint and a little paint brush and finally DONE. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Looks good

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts