·
Registered
2,149 Posts
great shots, and in stereo :laugh:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
great shots, and in stereo :laugh:
Yeah, and I couldn't find my cardboard glasses...

How did you attach the chain(?) around the trunk of the bush. I'm thinking about a couple of walnut saplings I'd like to pull (without buying a brush grubber chain for just the 2)?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, and I couldn't find my cardboard glasses...

How did you attach the chain(?) around the trunk of the bush. I'm thinking about a couple of walnut saplings I'd like to pull (without buying a brush grubber chain for just the 2)?
Around the trunk with a slip hook on one end. The brush grabbers are nice. But a chain with slip hook gets mighty tight. Also is frees up alot easier than the grabber chain spikes.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
754 Posts
Around the trunk with a slip hook on one end. The brush grabbers are nice. But a chain with slip hook gets mighty tight. Also is frees up alot easier than the grabber chain spikes.

I HATE slip hooks... they unhook themselves as soon as you let go of them 95% of the time. I always use grab hooks on ALL chains.

Pulling bushes, trees, brush, even fence posts, wrap the chain around it 2-3 times and hook the grab hook with just a little bit of slack. As you raise the loader the chain tightens on the tree/bush/post, then when you lower the loader and the tree/bush/post is on the ground the chain is slack again.

·
Administrator
17,280 Posts
I HATE slip hooks... they unhook themselves as soon as you let go of them 95% of the time. I always use grab hooks on ALL chains.

Pulling bushes, trees, brush, even fence posts, wrap the chain around it 2-3 times and hook the grab hook with just a little bit of slack. As you raise the loader the chain tightens on the tree/bush/post, then when you lower the loader and the tree/bush/post is on the ground the chain is slack again.
You NEED to try these:

Sliphook TL (Small).JPG Sliphook TL-1 (Small).JPG

5-16 TL (Small).JPG 5-16 TL-1 (Small).JPG

I will quadruple your money back if one unhooks itself under ANY circumstance ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
I tried to pull out some evergreen bushes with my loader, and couldn't budge em. Are you chopping the roots first?

·
Registered
754 Posts
I tried to pull out some evergreen bushes with my loader, and couldn't budge em. Are you chopping the roots first?
HA-HA... YES, sometimes You have to do that. I had one bush right next to my concrete driveway I had BOTH my tractors chained to, a 6500# 35 HP tractor plus the 7000# 50 HP, both tractors with both rear wheels on the dry concrete and could NOT pull the bush. Had to Sawz-All the roots as I got more and more of the bush out.

KENNY - My DAD was a heavy equipment operator in the Army in WWII, drove trucks, ran bull dozers, ran cranes, anything and everything with wheels or tracks and engines. He had a LOT of years to teach me how to do things correctly, especially when it came to lifting heavy things and pulling stuff. I've gotten by for over 50 years with plain old grab hooks that I can buy for 1/3 or 1/4 the cost of your hooks. If the chains & hooks were something I made my living with, I might try a pair or two, but with the limited use they get it just doesn't make sense to spend that much money on something to just sit around collecting dust.

·
Registered
967 Posts
HA-HA... YES, sometimes You have to do that. I had one bush right next to my concrete driveway I had BOTH my tractors chained to, a 6500# 35 HP tractor plus the 7000# 50 HP, both tractors with both rear wheels on the dry concrete and could NOT pull the bush. Had to Sawz-All the roots as I got more and more of the bush out.

KENNY - My DAD was a heavy equipment operator in the Army in WWII, drove trucks, ran bull dozers, ran cranes, anything and everything with wheels or tracks and engines. He had a LOT of years to teach me how to do things correctly, especially when it came to lifting heavy things and pulling stuff. I've gotten by for over 50 years with plain old grab hooks that I can buy for 1/3 or 1/4 the cost of your hooks. If the chains & hooks were something I made my living with, I might try a pair or two, but with the limited use they get it just doesn't make sense to spend that much money on something to just sit around collecting dust.
How does that saying go..."He who builds a better mousetrap, the world will beat a path to your door"? Anyway, I am 99% sure the testimonials will now pour in in support of their purchase of "Ken's Bolt On Hooks". I myself included. :usa

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On these I did not have a problem. No chopping needed. I would hook up and pull with the tractor in reverse and lift a little with the loader. I did have some burning bushes I had to hook the truck up to a pull harder than I should have. Nothing broke.

·
Registered
365 Posts

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
I have a few of Kenny's new twist lock grab hooks. They are awesome. Just like anything of quality, the price only hurts for a minute. Once you've used them, you quickly forget these hooks were only a few bucks more than standard hooks. They make working by yourself a lot more efficient.

I highly recommend them.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
More buckets = more hooks.

I now have 2 new buckets and just ordered 6 more hooks. 3 for the new 61" loader bucket, 1 for the new 8" bh bucket and two to replace the primer painted hooks on my 49" bucket. I have 3 on my 49", but when I initially ordered, I only ordered 2. Then I decided I wanted another in the middle and another for the backside of the bh bucket. When I ordered the second set, they came all nice and zinc plated. I've decided I like the zinc ones better. So, if you know anyone that's looking for some gently used, primer painted hooks, I've got 2 for sale. One of these days I'll get around to making a video of using the bh hook and send it to Ken for his website.

You can kind've see the difference, in the picture below, between the primered and zinc hooks. The 61" bucket will be used for snow removal only, but if the occasion arises, I'll have hooks to lift something throughout the winter.

20141112_205807.jpg

I use the bh hook to load things over the side of my pick-up bed, etc.

20140628_124021.jpg

I bought the 8" bh bucket because the 12" has trouble digging straight down in the clay that we have here in NW Ohio. Digging straight down is nice when you're installing a gatepost or an end post for a fence. It makes a little larger hole than a post hole digger, but it's so much easier.

·
Administrator
17,280 Posts
Thank you Jon!

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Thanks for that BH/hook pic!!! I was wondering about where I wanted to put one on the bucket. Yours looks good AND handy right where it is!:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
10,955 Posts
I have been using one of these brush grabber chains and it works fantastic. I've used it on all sorts of things from small roots to larger bushes and have not yet had any issues with the chain getting tight to where it was difficult to remove. I've even used it to drag a few large rocks and the teeth really helped grip.

grabber.jpg

I use one of Kenny's twist-lock slip hooks for grabbing the ring.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have a few of Kenny's new twist lock grab hooks. They are awesome. Just like anything of quality, the price only hurts for a minute. Once you've used them, you quickly forget these hooks were only a few bucks more than standard hooks. They make working by yourself a lot more efficient.

I highly recommend them.:thumbup1gif:
Might cost a little more, but is alot cheaper than the chain coming lose, unhooked, and lose of your load. I like them and will probably get some next spring.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts