Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my hooks in this afternoon and looking forward to getting them installed. Stopped by TSC on my way home to check out 5/16" tow chain prices...$75 for a 20'er. Decided to check around online when I got home.

Beautiful weekend for working outside, but the kitchen backsplash tiles also arrived and THAT installation takes priority (according to the implement appropriation chair-woman). I decided she wouldn't mind me buying a ballast box on Monday if I finish the kitchen, so goes my logic...

·
Premium Member
12,723 Posts

·
Registered
23,051 Posts
What tractor do ya have rws71.
IMO, for use with a SCUT 1/4" G70 chain is probably way more than you need.
I gathered many 5/16” chains in my years - they all hang in the barn unused. I just can’t handle them anymore. I have a short (10’-12’) of 3/16” chain with one choker hook that I use for skidding logs.

Now I am moving over to using straps for everything. I have a couple 20’, a 10’, a couple lifting slings, and of course a couple Ken’s Ring Slings. Nice and light, easy to take along in my little tractor basket, and plenty strong for all I do.

·
Super Moderator
2,451 Posts
I just got 2) 5/16 G70 20 foot chains for $60 off Amazon a few weeks ago. Check there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just bought a 1025r pkg a week ago Thursday. As typical of anything I do, i go hog wild on accessories, be it RC airplanes, tabletop maching, etc. I haven't been on a JD anything since I was a little kid on my great uncle's combine. My Dad is a life long JD fan also. He made some really cool knick knacks at the factory where he worked years ago. I will try to attach a pic. I don't expect to have to do much with the chains, just want something that will work with the hooks i just got.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
I carefully researched chain a while back. I ended up buying my chain from TulsaChain.com. (Please see this post.)

This chain in made in the USA at a very competitive price. I was pleased with the product and service.

Reactions: Robnik

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I gathered many 5/16” chains in my years - they all hang in the barn unused. I just can’t handle them anymore. I have a short (10’-12’) of 3/16” chain with one choker hook that I use for skidding logs.

Now I am moving over to using straps for everything. I have a couple 20’, a 10’, a couple lifting slings, and of course a couple Ken’s Ring Slings. Nice and light, easy to take along in my little tractor basket, and plenty strong for all I do.
Stan, what technique do you use for lifting with straps, as in, how do you hook up? Do they make hooks for straps that you can choke around objects?

Reactions: Marlin and Robnik

·
Premium Member
12,723 Posts
Stan, what technique do you use for lifting with straps, as in, how do you hook up? Do they make hooks for straps that you can choke around objects?
Tow / recovery straps come in all sizes. Most have loops on the end which you can choke on one end and use a shackle on the other but you can also get them with metal hooks. I'm also a big fan of the KBOH oblong ring straps shown above which can choke and also hook right on to a chain hook. This is where having the KBOH bucket hook/shackle combo can really come in handy as you can literally attach any type of chain/strap. I even use adjustable motorcycle tie-down straps at times depending on what I am doing.

tow_straps.jpg

photo66.jpg

·
Registered
23,051 Posts
I have welded on grab hooks on my bucket - I provisioned my tractor before Ken was in business. For lighter stuff I just put the straps in the hooks.

My Artillian forks have chain slots on the sides - do the same thing.

Other than that I have a selection of different size shackles that I will use.

Of course Ken’s Ring Slings work perfectly also - the rings fit into the grab hooks very nicely. I just need a couple more lenghts to have a complete set. Ken’s slings are rated for lifting.

Lifting slings are nice - the ones I have are mostly 1” wide. You can get them in continuous loop of straight with end loops. Having a variety of sizes is a must when using slings as you can’t size them like you can with chain and grab hooks. Harbor Freight has a couple sizes of lifting slings for good prices.

Using slings takes a little forethought at first. But there are times where only a chain will work.

·
Premium Member
12,723 Posts
Using slings takes a little forethought at first. But there are times where only a chain will work.
You are correct. I find myself using the slings and straps more often so as to not mar/scratch the items I am lifting. With logs however this is not an issue.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I sourced my 5/16 x 20" tie down/tow chain at Ace Hardware:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=29731096

It is Campbell chain and made in the USA. It's normal price is $44.99. However, Ace frequently has online promos offers of 15% off. I purchased three additional chains in December, utilizing this promo, for $35.99 ea. Shipping was free to my local Ace Hardware store.

I just don't have any faith in made in China chain.

Reactions: keane and Robnik

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
What tractor do ya have rws71.
IMO, for use with a SCUT 1/4" G70 chain is probably way more than you need.
I believe Ken's Bolt-On Hooks are sized for 5/16 chain.

Reactions: Robnik and pcabe5

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,808 Posts
I believe Ken's Bolt-On Hooks are sized for 5/16 chain.
I believe you are correct. IMO 5/16" grab hooks works better on 1/4" chain. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
The US made chain is more then the China made.Get what you pay for,be careful with cheap chain.

Reactions: Gizmo2 and keane
1 - 20 of 51 Posts