Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a rear blade today. Was considering a new King Kutter for $300, but this one looked to be a lot heavier duty. Now to clean it up a little.

Attachments

Reactions: Levi and mjncad

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,070 Posts
Nice. What are your plans for it?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I've never heard of that brand...but thats not unusual for me. It does look to be heavy duty and probably imatch compatible too.I'd take that over a King Kutter too. (and I have several King Kutter/ County Line implements) Good find!

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mostly snow removal, but I will use it to grade the drive and do a little leveling in my yard.

Reactions: Levi and Gizmo2

·
Registered
482 Posts
I believe they were made in Kewanee Il. That is about a half hour from me. They have gone out of business. There is a lot of Kewanee equipment in the area still in use. Looks to be in like new shape.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I think Kewanee makes augers too.

Kewanee augers is what I remember from my farm days many many decades ago. They were very popular.

Dave

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
We had several Kewanee disks. Once equipment started getting larger (our largest Kewanee disk was 17') they were simply not built strong enough for the task. The smaller disks were fine.

They made lots of smaller implements like blades, augers, etc.

Wow, that was a long time ago...

Tim

·
Premium Member
15,038 Posts
Very nice find... heavy duty blade and looks like it was used VERY LITTLE. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I sure would like to see it hooked up and in action. I'm glad you found this brand...and everyone pitching in info about the brand. Learn something everyday. Was this brand sort of a regional sales or nationwide? Anyone know?

Found this under kewanee implement history:

"Agriculture and Kewanee Machinery and Conveyor

Obviously a city that calls itself the “Hog Capital of the World” should have a strong connection to agriculture and indeed Kewanee does have close ties to the farming community.

Over the years several local industries manufactured products for farm use, but the one that carried the label of “Kewanee” on its machinery was Kewanee Machinery and Conveyor, as you can see on the mural.

The company was founded in 1912 by Wallace Glidden and B.F. Baker, Kewanee Boiler vice president, under the name Kewanee Corn Hanger. After another name change, it became Kewanee Machinery and Conveyor in 1930.

Over the years the company manufactured corn hangers, grain elevators, truck and wagon lifts and wheel-mounted disk harrows, the latter called the “most talked of implement in the industry” in the 1950s and years later.

After Wallace Glidden died in 1920, his brother Ray headed the company, and Ray’s son Robert took over in 1951 serving until it was sold in 1972. The company continued in Kewanee under other names until 1994. Even though the “Kewanee” brand ceased to be produced at that time, the name “Kewanee” can still be seen in farm fields throughout the Midwest. "

I'm guessing it was more or less regional since it says throughout the "midwest"

·
Premium Member
6,103 Posts
Used to be several of their disks around here, back in the 60's!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I sure would like to see it hooked up and in action. I'm glad you found this brand...and everyone pitching in info about the brand. Learn something everyday. Was this brand sort of a regional sales or nationwide? Anyone know?

Found this under kewanee implement history:

"Agriculture and Kewanee Machinery and Conveyor

Obviously a city that calls itself the “Hog Capital of the World” should have a strong connection to agriculture and indeed Kewanee does have close ties to the farming community.

Over the years several local industries manufactured products for farm use, but the one that carried the label of “Kewanee” on its machinery was Kewanee Machinery and Conveyor, as you can see on the mural.

The company was founded in 1912 by Wallace Glidden and B.F. Baker, Kewanee Boiler vice president, under the name Kewanee Corn Hanger. After another name change, it became Kewanee Machinery and Conveyor in 1930.

Over the years the company manufactured corn hangers, grain elevators, truck and wagon lifts and wheel-mounted disk harrows, the latter called the “most talked of implement in the industry” in the 1950s and years later.

After Wallace Glidden died in 1920, his brother Ray headed the company, and Ray’s son Robert took over in 1951 serving until it was sold in 1972. The company continued in Kewanee under other names until 1994. Even though the “Kewanee” brand ceased to be produced at that time, the name “Kewanee” can still be seen in farm fields throughout the Midwest. "

I'm guessing it was more or less regional since it says throughout the "midwest"

Hog Capitol of the World. That is Kewanee Illinois. Still have Hog Days on Labor Day weekend.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I grew up about 20 miles west and a little north of Kewanee. Actually, Kewanee is IN Henry County, IL, which actually was the hog capital of the world but lost that honor about 40 yrs ago. Kewanee is the largest town in Henry County, but Cambridge is the county seat. Before that the little town of "Morristown" was the county seat.... don't bother looking at a map for it... it's a half dozen houses on the crescent shaped piece of land where the Osco Slab turns and the township roads intersect just beyond the turn about three miles north and a mile west of Osco, IL. When the railroad went thru Osco instead of Morristown, Cambridge & Osco grew and Morristown died.

Kewanee was the most popular corn, grain, & bale elevator in the region. Back around the 1930's they even made inside elevators for corn cribs, farm I grew up on had one. Similar to the tall grain legs around grain bins, they had a pit or conveyor you dumped the corn or small grain into, then it dropped into a bucket elevator and was lifted into the cupola where it was dumped into chutes to be dropped into the sides of the corn crib or into the over head bins over the driveway of the crib. They made a variety of light tillage implements, disks, peg tooth and spring tooth harrows, culti-mulchers, etc, hay equipment, wagons, running gears, etc. If you looked at ANY national farm magazine like Successful Farming, Farm Journal, etc. there were ads for Kewanee equipment and pictures of Kewanee equipment being used all over the mid-west corn belt. As farming practices changed to combining shell corn from picking ear corn Kewanee did become a popular auger brand in the 1960's.

ANYHOW, Yes, Kewanee made REAL farm equipment used on farms ALL over the Midwest, and would build a MUCH better 3-point blade than King-Kutter could ever dream of. Unfortunately, as tillage practices in the corn belt changed, minimum or no-till, the equipment Kewanee made was not needed. Kewanee staying in business was better than most small ag implement companies did.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts