Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get keyless door knobs for garage service door and shop service door. Anyone have any experience of suggestions on brand, style etc? Also trying to decide knob or Lever.
Examples of what I’m thinking:
Font Audio equipment Output device Circle Screenshot

Automotive tire Camera accessory Gadget Audio equipment Font

·
Registered
2021 1025R, 2016 x580
648 Posts
I have the brushed nickel version of the Schlage lever version you have pictured. Installed them back in 2008 when we built the house.

Never had any problems, change battery once a year.

Since moving in I have never used a key to get in.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have the same lock on both of my shops and on my house. My wife and I hate to have to carry keys. We love them, we went with the lever handles because they are much easier to open when your hands are full. I also have a buddy who owns an auto shop here right outside of town who has the same one. He has to replace it about every 4 or so years it seems. I do not think that is to bad considering the amount of use that it gets. I would highly recommend one with of them to anyone.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I have the same Schlage series. I'm very pleased with the performance and warranty support. Just be aware that they can't be repaired since no parts are available. Even a minor issue with the solenoid means replacing the entire unit. Definitely get the lever handle.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
I put the Schlage series in with the lever handle at my mothers, that way if we didn't get there fast enough 911 wouldn't have to break a door or window. She really liked it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have these on basement and front main door to house..I love em…but my front door just stopped working this week..just replaced the battery and still nothing…Stand by haha..the front has been in use for 2 years ? The basement door is fresh less then 6 months.

If you hit the Schlage at the top it has like a night light feature when it lights the key pad up..not the actual keys tho

I run lithium batteries in both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I have one, but only use it when I need to. It will also take a regular key. If you use the pad constantly, people can see which buttons are pushed from wear so that is one drawback. My combo is 4 numbers so it would still take a long time to crack, so I guess it would not be a problem in reality. A real crook would just smash a window I suppose or use a crowbar. I only have one that I put on the front door in case I lock myself out of the house by accident, which has happened on occasion.

·
Registered
John Deere 2025r
198 Posts
I have these on basement and front main door to house..I love em…but my front door just stopped working this week..just replaced the battery and still nothing…Stand by haha..the front has been in use for 2 years ? The basement door is fresh less then 6 months.

If you hit the Schlage at the top it has like a night light feature when it lights the key pad up..not the actual keys tho

I run lithium batteries in both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have this one and and older version on the garage. they are great, i run them until it tells me battery low. . both are lever locks only way to go

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Though I am not personally interested in keyless, I definitely recommend the lever type. You can open the door with your elbow when your hands are full if nothing else. I have keyed lever type on all my exterior doors.

·
Registered
343 Posts
As a cop friend once told me, “locks only keep the honest people out”. I have the Schlage on my back door, round knob. Lever is probably a good idea. Ours is 11 years old and has never failed. This thread reminds me I should put in a fresh battery.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Truer words have never been spoken, “locks only keep the honest people out”. If someone REALLY wants to get into your garage, house, or shed, they will...break a door or window, cut a hole through the side of the building with a handy-dandy battery operated saw!

Setup your entrance access for you... and other honest folks! As mentioned, levers are more convenient. With arms loaded with ??, it's difficult or impossible to take key(s) from pocket, find correct key, end then turn knob. Even with arms loaded, you can usually find a free finger to push buttons and the elbow the handle open! Not when locked, but I've OFTEN opened my house door with my elbow while carrying 2 cases of beer! Bob

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Think after everyone mentioned the lever one I’ll definitely go that way. Like many said locks only keeep honest people out(alarm system for others) and that’s all I’m trying to do and make it more convenient to keep door locked. Both the shop and garage are heated all winter so the service doors are used going in and out A lot. I hate carrying keys and this will allow us to keep door locked more often with out hassle of keys and will save opening overhead door if service door is locked. Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
2021 1025R, 2016 x580
648 Posts
There is only one fear I have with the lever style that I forgot to mention, they are not critter proof!

I always keep my front door unlocked when I am home and there have been many times when bears will come on the front deck. It hasn't happened yet, but I think about how easily a bear could open that door, even accidentally.

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
3,689 Posts
We've got the kwikset Juno on our side door, three doors at the inlaws rental beach house and on the inlaws house. Our house uses the "smart device" IOT zigbee protocol which requires a smarthome hub (like Samsung Smartthings) to remotely control, the inlaws properties are wifi/app controlled. The zigbee version batteries last about a year with that door bring the primary in/out door for the house. The inlaws wifi versions have batteries that last about 2 months on the beach house but it's rented all summer, with what would be assumed to be 2-4x what "normal" use would be. Their home entry door lasts about 5 months between battery changes. Li batteries improve this, but they "are too expensive"... (eyeroll). Our Zigbee version lasts about 12-14 months.
In short, we're all very happy with them, but the wifi/app version does seem to have more problems than the basically flawless zigbee version: Losing wifi signal, needing to be rebooted, etc. however it's getting new codes pushed to it from a state away weekly and our zigbee gets new codes occasionally at best, likely 2-3 times in the last 3 years.

We also have a "dumb" keypad kwikset lock on the "owners closet" at the beach house that has been flawless, but it was programed at installation for the codes needed and is only opened when the family is down at the shore.

Recommended- Absolutely! But noting the WiFi versions do come with their drawbacks and additional functionality. Wifi and zigbee can be operated (locked/unlocked) from a smartphone, the standalone can not. Infant heading out to dinner last night in the car, my wife checked to see if we locked it as we were driving away. It was, but had it not been, we could have locked it from the car on the otherwise of town. Also can unlock remotely if your neighbor is putting a package inside or feeding the dogs/cats/etc. Very handy!

·
Registered
7,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
but I think about how easily a bear could open that door,
Good point. Haven’t seen any bears around here but they are just north of us.

Reactions: Levi

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
I have found that keyless lock sets have a shorter lifespan in extreme cold weather. Also, if pulling door to take side pressure/friction off of deadbolt striker will extend the lifespan.
Mechanical (versus battery) have proved to be the answer for cold climate durability. They have their own downsides. Ours are locked by lifting lever. There is no way to disable this feature, so guests often unwittingly lock the door.

We have cut half of the lever off on the inside of the garage door handle to prevent the dog from opening door.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I have one on the door between my attached garage and house. It serves its purpose but It’s also protected from access by the closed garage doors when I’m out. I wouldn’t use one of these on an exterior house entrance door. A good quality lock and deadbolt is a much sturdier and secure method of protection.

Reactions: jdmich and Levi

·
Registered
158 Posts
We have a Schlage Encode on our front door. Its the wifi version which allows remote operation and sends notifications of lock/unlock. We can remotely allow access for cleaners, friends, etc. We can also set permanent codes for recurring visitors and set codes remotely if we're away. *Note: this lock works well even with our very poor home internet (5.4 down/ .50 up).
We also have a "dumb" Kwikset electronic on the attached garage door and repurposed our Schlage to the detached workshop. All have worked well.

I do contracted property maintenance for assisted living group homes and have installed multiple electronic keypad locks in the homes for entry doors, med closets, offices and storage rooms. They are all user friendly for workers of various levels of understanding (language, IQ, work ethic). Also very secure for reasons just stated. Staff used to lose keys constantly and either damage lock or door trying to enter.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts