Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps this is well known but I ran into this today when I used a set of keys that are not normally used. I thought it was odd they didn’t unlock it but I usually use the buttons on the door so I figured I would do the battery in the fob later. Jump in and it would not recognize a key was inside. In the center console there is a pocket that if you place the key in when it is dead it will recognize it. This is in a Lincoln but Ford’s have a similar thing in the console and I have heard others have a pocket at the bottom of the cup holder under the mat.
5C09D58C-D750-4288-B1A0-6A7833A95B50.jpeg

·
Premium Member
11,035 Posts
Yes, have heard that. Some cars also have a special place outside that you can "touch" with the dead fob to gain access. I say give me a good old fashioned key. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,904 Posts
My other half's Infinity G37 has a little plug in hole under the dash that her fob slides in to if the battery dies. I'd assume that's standard on any Nissan/Infinity that has a keyless system.

·
Registered
21,563 Posts
Yes - it's in the manual.

I thought it was funny when the F150;s started getting this. A few people made videos on how they found the secret place to leave their key fob in the truck when they got out.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
In my Subaru you touch the push to start button with the fob as you are trying to start the car with the button. As for getting in, there is a hidden traditional key in the fob.

·
Registered
21,563 Posts
With the F150 there is also a hidden toothpick key which will work in the door and spare tire lock.

I kind of disliked the keyless bit when I first got this truck but now that I am used to it I like it. I don’t touch the fob - just put it in my pocket when I leave and leave it there.

That is unless I use the remote start which surprisingly works from the house when my truck is in the barn. That is when I remember that I have remote start.....

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Aaaahh yes... Remote Start. Love it. Use it all the time.

Dave

·
Registered
945 Posts
My Nissan's have this. VERY convenient. I read that iPhones are planned to have the capability to unlock cars with this system at some point in the next year. The fob actually has a real key that can be pulled out, just in case, and on the inside on the dash, there is a slot called the "fob-gina" by Nissan owners where popping the fob in will let you start the car. It's a great system. Only thing that would be better would be if I could have that near-field chip implanted in my forearm.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Tesla uses an app on your phone and I have read where people have implanted a RFID chip.

I don't have remote start for the Subaru. It would be nice to warm it before leaving work but it isn't that cold most afternoons. I don't know that I could buy another vehicle without keyless and push button start. It is so nice to just grab the handle when you have stuff in your other hands. No fumbling with anything. That is as long as I keep my phone in my left pocket and my fob in the right. I have gotten into that habit. If they share the same pocket the cell phone signal is enough to disrupt the fob and it won't work.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I don't anything that new or fancy. This dinosaur uses a magnetic box and a real key.:cautious:

·
Registered
60 Posts
My friend had a 2013 Mazda 3 Speed, and he let the key fob die. When he replaced the battery, it wasn't programmed to the car anymore, and the dealership wanted (I forget the exact amount) $150 to reprogram the fob. Moral of the story, replace the batteries every year (you can get quite a few batteries for $150).

Along similar lines. I got a spare key made for my 2017 GMC Seirra, not a key fob - but a chipped key, and it turns out that you need two functioning keys to program the third. Just a heads up for those out there with a similar vehicle.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Tesla uses an app on your phone and I have read where people have implanted a RFID chip.

I don't have remote start for the Subaru. It would be nice to warm it before leaving work but it isn't that cold most afternoons. I don't know that I could buy another vehicle without keyless and push button start. It is so nice to just grab the handle when you have stuff in your other hands. No fumbling with anything. That is as long as I keep my phone in my left pocket and my fob in the right. I have gotten into that habit. If they share the same pocket the cell phone signal is enough to disrupt the fob and it won't work.
My 2015 GMC 2500HD, like most GM cars these days I guess, came with an app that lets me access the truck from my iPhone. From anywhere with an internet connection, I can pull up the GM app and lock/unlock, or start the truck. As I was flying commercially into our little regional airport yesterday, returning from 10 days in Hawaii, once we got low enough on approach to get a cellular connection I was able to start the truck. It was nice and toasty when I went to get it. A very important concept if you're wearing a light jacket, sandals, and a Hawaiian shirt when you return to Minnesota in the middle of winter.

·
Registered
21,563 Posts
My 2015 GMC 2500HD, like most GM cars these days I guess, came with an app that lets me access the truck from my iPhone. From anywhere with an internet connection, I can pull up the GM app and lock/unlock, or start the truck. As I was flying commercially into our little regional airport yesterday, returning from 10 days in Hawaii, once we got low enough on approach to get a cellular connection I was able to start the truck. It was nice and toasty when I went to get it. A very important concept if you're wearing a light jacket, sandals, and a Hawaiian shirt when you return to Minnesota in the middle of winter.
Too funny - nor related but....

You reminded me of my first real vacation which was a company sponsored trip to Jamaica when I was in my late 20’s. Had such a blast!

So here I am in Feburary leaving Jamaica with my shorts and silk Hawaiian style shirt. I must have looked quite the sight getting off the plane in Buffalo - that was before such things as those tunnels that reach out to the plane. I relished the warmth when arriving in Jamaica by stripping clothes off while exiting the plane. Didn’t have the opposite option when exiting in Buffalo at 10*F with the wind blowing.

As far as I know Ford has a similar app which you can start your truck with and other things. Don’t know for sure as things like that are useless to me without cell service where I live.

·
Registered
280 Posts
So that’s why they invented these stoopid FOB thangs.
Folks that wear sandals in Minnie Sota in February surely ain’t smart enough to use a regular key to start their pickup. LMAO!

**insert sarcasm feller stirring a pile of poop here. <<<<< !

·
Registered
945 Posts
So that’s why they invented these stoopid FOB thangs.
Folks that wear sandals in Minnie Sota in February surely ain’t smart enough to use a regular key to start their pickup. LMAO!

**insert sarcasm feller stirring a pile of poop here. <<<<< !
Hey now...I don't think you properly understand the nuances of living in Minnesota.....

Minnesota according to Jeff Foxworthy :
  • If your local Dairy Queen is closed from October through May, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If someone in a Home Depot store offers you assistance and they don't even work there, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you've worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you've had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed a wrong number, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If "vacation" means going "Up North", you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you measure distance in hours, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you know people who have hit a deer more than once, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you have switched from 'heat' to 'A/C' in the same day and back again, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you can drive 65 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you install security lights on your house and garage, but leave both doors unlocked, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you carry jumpers in your car and your wife knows how to use them, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If the speed limit on the highway is 55 mph -you're going 80 and everybody is passing you, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you find -10 degrees "a little chilly", you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you see people wearing hunting clothes at social events, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you think that ketchup is a little too spicy, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If your town has an equal number of bars and churches, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If “Down South” to you means Iowa, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you can identify a Nebraska accent, you may live in Minnesota.

·
Registered
21,563 Posts
Hey now...I don't think you properly understand the nuances of living in Minnesota.....

Minnesota according to Jeff Foxworthy :
  • If your local Dairy Queen is closed from October through May, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If someone in a Home Depot store offers you assistance and they don't even work there, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you've worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you've had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed a wrong number, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If "vacation" means going "Up North", you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you measure distance in hours, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you know people who have hit a deer more than once, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you have switched from 'heat' to 'A/C' in the same day and back again, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you can drive 65 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you install security lights on your house and garage, but leave both doors unlocked, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you carry jumpers in your car and your wife knows how to use them, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If the speed limit on the highway is 55 mph -you're going 80 and everybody is passing you, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you find -10 degrees "a little chilly", you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you see people wearing hunting clothes at social events, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you think that ketchup is a little too spicy, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If your town has an equal number of bars and churches, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If “Down South” to you means Iowa, you may live in Minnesota.
  • If you can identify a Nebraska accent, you may live in Minnesota.
That was great! I live in NW Pa and most every entry applies here also.

My wife still laughs at me when I hike up to the mailbox with my shorts on with my Arctic Muck Boots and Carhartt chore coat on.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
When someone mentions "Mayo", they aren't talking about a condiment but rather the Rochester institution......

And if you speak like they did in the movie Fargo, you are likely from Minnesota, "yaahh, fer sure".

If "hockey" is an important part of your life......

And if you or your parents still talk about how Jimmy Carter was robbed, well, you are likely from Minnesota........ :giggle: ;)

Screenshot_2020-02-14 Presidential Election of 1980.png

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
When your snowblower has more miles on it than your car
Thats funny right there I don’t care who ya are.
BTW we have taverns around here and the difference is they only sell beer. Gotta go to a bar to get liquor.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts