Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
When your snowblower has more miles on it than your car
Thats funny right there I don’t care who ya are.
BTW we have taverns around here and the difference is they only sell beer. Gotta go to a bar to get liquor.
That whole etymology has been upended by the widespread advent of “brew pubs”. Craft breweries are now everywhere due to a legislative change led by Surly Brewing to allow micro-breweries to brew and sell their beers on sale (draft and growlers) as well as serve food (used to be you couldn’t sell both). Within 20 miles of here, there must be more than 50 craft breweries, most selling food. There aren’t really “taverns” anymore. So these days, most Minnesotans don’t care if they’re in a “tavern” or a “bar”. Many would be surprised to know that they can’t get mixed drinks at their ”tavern”, and most wouldn’t care, especially since “taverns” have given way to craft brew-pubs. And man...there are some truly excellent beers that come out of those places.

The latest thing these days are craft distilleries. We’re getting some really great whiskeys too.

Surly Brewing and their "brew pub" is a pretty unique experience on a nice Minnesota summer evening. It's one of Guy Fieri's favorite places. Their published credo is:

-Brew Remarkable Beer
-Give a Damn
-Be Independant
-Don't Be a Dick

Words to live by. Kind of sums up the entire Minnesota ethos.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
When someone mentions "Mayo", they aren't talking about a condiment but rather the Rochester institution......

And if you speak like they did in the movie Fargo, you are likely from Minnesota, "yaahh, fer sure".

If "hockey" is an important part of your life......

And if you or your parents still talk about how Jimmy Carter was robbed, well, you are likely from Minnesota........ :giggle: ;)
Couple of clarifications...;)

--- It's not really "Mayo", it's "The Mayo"...sometimes also referred to as the WFMC (World Famous Mayo Clinic). But most of the state, upper 2/3 anyway, doesn't go to The Mayo for tertiary care, they go to one of the hospitals in "The Cities" (Minneapolis/St. Paul ...Twin Cities). Most Minnesotans, however, prefer to stay home at their local hospital, even for complicated medical problems. It's often hard to convince them to go elsewhere.

---- Most Minnesotans don't talk the way they stereotyped in "Fargo", but I do know people that talk that way. Of course, I live about 10 miles from "Brainerd"... Ground Zero for the movie. That movie, Fargo, stated in the opening credits that that kidnapping was a true story. It's not. It was totally based on the imagination of Joel and Ethan Cohen.

--- Hockey is indeed rampant in Minnesota. I was extremely grateful that neither my son nor daughter wanted to play high school or amateur hockey. The distances that those parents drive those kids for tournaments is amazing and a HUGE commitment. Among other things, your 4WD (everyone in Minnesota has at least one 4WD vehicle) has to be big enough to carry the incredibly bulky hockey gear...usually takes a Suburban because you're also hauling a couple of the kids' teammates. Lord help you if your kid happens to be the goalie. And that committment is one that goes on for years since they start about age 10 (Squirts) and can go through high school. High School Hockey in Minnesota is like High School football in Texas, only more so.

--- It wasn't actually Jimmy Carter that Minnesotans cared about in the 1976 election, it was his running mate Walter Mondale, a long-time revered Minnesota politician. Politics in Minnesota is...complicated...as you'd expect from any state that would elect Jesse Ventura governor. About 2 years ago I sat next to Walter Mondale on a flight to Minnesota coming back from Washington DC. I found him to be friendly, charming, and interesting as we chatted prior to takeoff. I then put on my Democrat-cancelling headphones and we both had a very enjoyable flight back.

More illustrative of Minnesota politics than the 1980 election was the 1984 election.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Couple of clarifications...;)

---- Most Minnesotans don't talk the way they stereotyped in "Fargo", but I do know people that talk that way. Of course, I live about 10 miles from "Brainerd"... Ground Zero for the movie. That movie, Fargo, stated in the opening credits that that kidnapping was a true story. It's not. It was totally based on the imagination of Joel and Ethan Cohen.

--- Hockey is indeed rampant in Minnesota.
I've always felt that the accent used in the movie was a bit over the top.. but then people from up on the iron range sound awfully darn close...

People tend to go hockey crazy... try and drive through downtown St. Paul during the h.s. hockey tournaments... no thank you.

I was born in WI, but lived for 50 years in MN.... then got smart and moved back to WI

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
756 Posts
And back on topic.

I have a 2007 Corvette that uses a key fob transmitter and a push button start system. There is no key ignition switch and no key holes in the doors. The doors open it you have the fob on you and touch the pad behind the door edge.

If the fob battery fails, there is a key with the fob that can open the trunk/rear hatch and you can open the door with a pull wire. The dead fob can be placed in a slot in the glove box so the car will read/recognize it and allow it to start with the push button.

Getting into it with a good fob, but a totally dead starting battery is similar ... Use key to open rear, pull wire door release, get in, pop hood latch... Good luck if your key won't open the hatch/trunk!!

There has been at least one reported death... an older gentleman got into a Corvette, shut the door and couldn't get out.... Sadly, he wasn't aware of the emergency door releases on the floor by each of the 2 doors, or how to open the removable roof panel.(flip levers and push... it's light weight)(life or death situation, who cares if it slides and scratches the paint!).. :(

That serves as a good reminder to read the manual with all this fancy, newfangled stuff!!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
We have 1 car with keyless FOB and my truck does not have it as Ford was not doing it in 2016 F250. I really like the keyless FOB because you do not have to remove it from your pocket to get in or start the vehicle. If the FOB is dead in the Jeept, you use the key FOB and push it against the start button and this is supposed to work. Not ever done it though to see if it really works...

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Yeah we avoided the hockey thing as well. I have neighbors, friends and neighbors that are in it big time. Not only are they constantly running around, it all year long. They run all winter in the normal season. Then the season ends and they might have a week or two off and then it is back into camps, private lessons and then the next season starts up. It is very common to have yards with sections flooded and lights set up so they can skate. A house just down the road has a full hockey rink with side boards and outdoor parking lot style lighting. That is needed because in the dead of winter it is getting dark at 4pm. There fighting over ice time is insane. I figure that family built the hockey rink because that way their team could do their practice at a reasonable time rather than 5am on school days or 10-11pm on school nights. Yes that happens because there are so many teams and only so many sheets of ice.

I look at all that and just say I am glad my son is just in Scouts. Though this weekend we are off to camp up at Stearns in Central MN.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
And back on topic.

I have a 2007 Corvette that uses a key fob transmitter and a push button start system. There is no key ignition switch and no key holes in the doors. The doors open it you have the fob on you and touch the pad behind the door edge.

If the fob battery fails, there is a key with the fob that can open the trunk/rear hatch and you can open the door with a pull wire. The dead fob can be placed in a slot in the glove box so the car will read/recognize it and allow it to start with the push button.

Getting into it with a good fob, but a totally dead starting battery is similar ... Use key to open rear, pull wire door release, get in, pop hood latch... Good luck if your key won't open the hatch/trunk!!

There has been at least one reported death... an older gentleman got into a Corvette, shut the door and couldn't get out.... Sadly, he wasn't aware of the emergency door releases on the floor by each of the 2 doors, or how to open the removable roof panel.(flip levers and push... it's light weight)(life or death situation, who cares if it slides and scratches the paint!).. :(

That serves as a good reminder to read the manual with all this fancy, newfangled stuff!!!

View attachment 727315
Is that something that they changed may be later on down the road? I ask because my parents are into Vettes. They have an 03 Anniversary. I remember my dad saying something about people getting locked out of them since it is so common to store them in the winter and maybe they didn't have it on a tender. I thought he said something about an adapter they would have to plug into the bulb socket for the license plate light or some other light bulb on the back of the car. They would have to trickle charge it enough to get the battery enough juice to unlock it and then be able to get in and at the battery. I guess Chevy wanted the clean lines of no key hole. Oh and for those of us with keyless systems and a lock in the door. You might want to use it and lube it with graphite every now and then. If you don't use it, they can seize up and then you are stuck. Maybe there is one on each side of the car, sometimes they only put it on the drivers side to save a couple bucks. It depends on the vehicle. That is also the case for those of you out there that just have a key fob for unlocking and use the traditional key for starting.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Yeah we avoided the hockey thing as well. I have neighbors, friends and neighbors that are in it big time. Not only are they constantly running around, it all year long. They run all winter in the normal season. Then the season ends and they might have a week or two off and then it is back into camps, private lessons and then the next season starts up. It is very common to have yards with sections flooded and lights set up so they can skate. A house just down the road has a full hockey rink with side boards and outdoor parking lot style lighting. That is needed because in the dead of winter it is getting dark at 4pm. There fighting over ice time is insane. I figure that family built the hockey rink because that way their team could do their practice at a reasonable time rather than 5am on school days or 10-11pm on school nights. Yes that happens because there are so many teams and only so many sheets of ice.

I look at all that and just say I am glad my son is just in Scouts. Though this weekend we are off to camp up at Stearns in Central MN.
Heh. Yeh, that describes the commitment of hockey parents. Remarkable. We have at least two hockey camps right here and they are indeed bustling all summer. As to ice rinks...there are a huge number of opinions about the best way to build an ice rink on the lake. It is apparently a lot more complicated than it seems.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Is that something that they changed may be later on down the road? I ask because my parents are into Vettes. They have an 03 Anniversary. I remember my dad saying something about people getting locked out of them since it is so common to store them in the winter and maybe they didn't have it on a tender. I thought he said something about an adapter they would have to plug into the bulb socket for the license plate light or some other light bulb on the back of the car. They would have to trickle charge it enough to get the battery enough juice to unlock it and then be able to get in and at the battery. I guess Chevy wanted the clean lines of no key hole. Oh and for those of us with keyless systems and a lock in the door. You might want to use it and lube it with graphite every now and then. If you don't use it, they can seize up and then you are stuck. Maybe there is one on each side of the car, sometimes they only put it on the drivers side to save a couple bucks. It depends on the vehicle. That is also the case for those of you out there that just have a key fob for unlocking and use the traditional key for starting.

Good advice to use the keys once in a while to make sure they still function in the locks.

As far as charging a dead battery on an earlier Vette by using a light socket?... I'm not sure.... But, on the C5 (1997-2004) there is a key slot in the drivers side door. If the key won't work in the lock, one can apply 12 volts to the starter from under the car.. + to the red wire on solenoid... - to a ground. That should power up things enough to get the fob to unlock the doors. Even light gauge wire should work... you're not trying to start it, just powering up the electronics. From there, pop the hood, charge the battery, enjoy the car, and go get a working key for the door!!!

Some owners put a small, color matched, magnetic metal cap over the keyhole to hide it, but.... there should be a keyhole.

The one I own is referred to as a C6, or 6th generation... made from 2005 to 2013. The only key hole is under the lip where the rear license plate mounts. It's notorious for filling with road grit and not working when you need it to. Luckily, it can usually be cleaned up with a shot of some aerosol cleaner/lube and worked with the key to free it up.
I store mine all winter in the attached garage, with the hood open to discourage mice, and a small battery tender plugged in 24/7. I clip mine directly to the battery. Others use a tender and plug it in to the lighter outlet next to the ashtray. The C6s are known to drain batteries when parked, so a tender should be used if parked more than a week or so without being driven.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
As far as charging a dead battery on an earlier Vette by using a light socket?... I'm not sure.... But, on the C5 (1997-2004) there is a key slot in the drivers side door. If the key won't work in the lock, one can apply 12 volts to the starter from under the car.. + to the red wire on solenoid... - to a ground. That should power up things enough to get the fob to unlock the doors. Even light gauge wire should work... you're not trying to start it, just powering up the electronics. From there, pop the hood, charge the battery, enjoy the car, and go get a working key for the door!!!
You are right he has a C5. It was on the newer ones not his. I was thinking C6 like yours but you mentioned a cable that you can pull. Maybe it is the C7? Not sure. Like I said it was an issue that a couple other people had with their Vettes in their club. Maybe they didn't know about the cable. Of course most people leave their owners manual in the glove box and may not think to look how to get into a disabled car until the battery is dead and they can't get in. At least most companies make owners manuals available on the web.

His is stored in one of our garages on a tender.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Not sure if this explains it. It sounds like the 06 didn't come with the key in the fob?

Maybe they changed something on your 07 to be able to get in after people were having this issue.

·
Registered
756 Posts
All C6s should have a cable to pull to open the doors. Sometimes it slips behind the trunk/hatch upholstery and disappears, so there may be some digging to find it.

Also, '05 - '07 fobs have a regular key like this...

and '09 -'13 have a key contained in the fob... like this...

I would bet that the C7s have a similar set up. Even if there are no door keyholes, there's got to be one for the hatch/trunk and a manual way to open doors in the event of a power failure.... fobs or main car battery.. from inside or out.

interior door release, on the floor next to door....

Unfortunately many owners never seem to RTFM, but yes... luckily, many are on-line in the event of a problem...

All this reminds me to go out to the garage and test my keys... lol....

Yup, they work!

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
So 05-07 have a key and fob. What is the key used for if the fob starts it with the push to start button? Just the emergency key hole down by the license plate and glove box? If that is the case I can see why people would be tempted to not bother carrying it.

·
Registered
756 Posts
So 05-07 have a key and fob. What is the key used for if the fob starts it with the push to start button? Just the emergency key hole down by the license plate and glove box? If that is the case I can see why people would be tempted to not bother carrying it.

Yup! All I carry on that fob is a house key and the vette key

That's probably why GM went to a hidden key in the '09 and up fobs.. With a garage door opener, I can't remember the last time I used the house key.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
We've had multiple Nissans for many, many years. Their keyless entry works great and has been extremely reliable. I've never had to use the actual key, but it's pretty straightforward since there is is a key lock on the door handle. If the fob battery dies, I just have to remove the key from the fob, open the door, and put the fob in the fobgina. The fob has an RFID chip in it, so when in the fobgina, it's in close enough proximity that it unlocks the ignition circuit without the need for battery power.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Yup! All I carry on that fob is a house key and the vette key

That's probably why GM went to a hidden key in the '09 and up fobs.. With a garage door opener, I can't remember the last time I used the house key.
Ok, that is odd. Wonder what took them so long to hide the key in the fob. Not like many people lock their glove box.

My Subie has a hidden key in the fob. The only thing on my key ring is the fob with hidden key, a bottle opener, and a Yubikey that is for Multi Factor Authentication.

·
Registered
23,476 Posts
Nothing attached to my fob. I can’t stand to have anything in my pockets but have forced myself to get used to the fob. I can now put it in my pocket and forget about it until I get home.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I will never ever own a car with a key again:

Few things - this is Ford/Lincoln - pretty sure most of this won't work on others...
If you leave your key in the vehicle and press the 7/8 and 9/0 buttons simultaneously and lock the vehicle it disables the key fob in the vehicle until you type in your code to unlock the vehicle
The key fob has a built in key - it works in the door
The iPhone app allows you to start your car, lock and unlock it, you can set planned start times for if you are going on vacation and start it every 2 weeks it won't go into deep sleep mode
The iWatch app allows you to lock/unlock and start your vehicle as well - you can use siri to open the app, but you have to press the start button manually (I know 1st world problems)

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
The iPhone app allows you to start your car, lock and unlock it, you can set planned start times for if you are going on vacation and start it every 2 weeks it won't go into deep sleep mode
The iWatch app allows you to lock/unlock and start your vehicle as well - you can use siri to open the app, but you have to press the start button manually (I know 1st world problems)

Just wondering, do you know what model years started this feature and is there a monthly charge for this like OnStar? I am coming from the GM world but we are considering a Ford for our next purchase. Basically looking at 2017 and newer (maybe new) and still sorting out all the changes by year.

Since it is likely a trim level dependent thing we are looking at F150 Platinum or Limited.

·
Registered
23,476 Posts
As far as I know the keyless ignition is on Lariat and higher trim.

Don’t know anything about the phone stuff as I don’t have one. Plus the fact mine is a 2015 with Sync 2 which I doubt has all those phone features anyway.

Having the keyless entry/ignition plus the factory remote start is plenty enough for me anyway. I’ll never understand why everything has to be tied to the cell phone.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts