Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check if you have these. Free Replacement
More Than 40 Million Kidde Fire Extinguishers Recalled:
ANNAPOLIS, Md., November 6, 2017 – More than 40 million Kidde fire extinguishers equipped with plastic handles, some on the market for more than 40 years, have been recalled. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), “The fire extinguishers can become clogged or require excessive force to discharge and can fail to activate during a fire emergency. In addition, the nozzle can detach with enough force to pose an impact hazard.” The BoatUS Foundation for Boating Safety and Clean water is urging recreational boat owners to check their boats for the recalled extinguishers and get a free metal-handled replacement by going to the CPSC recall website. https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/kidde-recalls-fire-extinguishers-with-plastic-handles-due-to-failure-to-discharge-and

·
Premium Member
14,133 Posts
Thanks for the info I'm thinking mine have metal handles will have to check them.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Thanks for the Gummint link. Great, another blasted chore I don't need. :banghead:
I'm with you on that.
My daughter's place had a garage fire a few months back. Apparently none of the fire extinguishers that they had worked. She eventually put it out with the garden hose until the fire department showed up. Witch was amazing because it started as a gasoline fire. This could explain why they didn't work. I'll have to mention this recall to her.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Well,, BOO HISS on KIDDE!! :nunu:

My recalled fire extinguisher is a Kidde 10-B-C,,, they sent a Kidde 5-B-C

The new extinguisher is half the size of the old one, and weighs a pound less (about 1/3)

After 4 calls, I have been on hold for 15 minutes (thank goodness for speaker phones, and volume control)

I assume the one sent is 1/2 the capacity of the old one? :dunno:

They sent a note that I should put the old one in the same packaging, and return,,,
that is a JOKE, it should be a similar extinguisher, not half the size,,,
My old extinguisher will not fit in the little box they sent,,

I have been on hold long enough to get a pic,,,

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I have 3 Kidde's that are on the list. But one is an old Halon unit. IIRC Halon is no longer manufactured, but my last Google says that extinguishers with recycled Halon are available. I have to find out if I send in my old Halon unit, will I get another Halon one or will they substitute something else.:dunno:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Well,, BOO HISS on KIDDE!! :nunu:

My recalled fire extinguisher is a Kidde 10-B-C,,, they sent a Kidde 5-B-C

The new extinguisher is half the size of the old one, and weighs a pound less (about 1/3)

After 4 calls, I have been on hold for 15 minutes (thank goodness for speaker phones, and volume control)

I assume the one sent is 1/2 the capacity of the old one? :dunno:

They sent a note that I should put the old one in the same packaging, and return,,,
that is a JOKE, it should be a similar extinguisher, not half the size,,,
My old extinguisher will not fit in the little box they sent,,

I have been on hold long enough to get a pic,,,

Maybe it is for little fires? lol

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have 3 Kidde's that are on the list. But one is an old Halon unit. IIRC Halon is no longer manufactured, but my last Google says that extinguishers with recycled Halon are available. I have to find out if I send in my old Halon unit, will I get another Halon one or will they substitute something else.:dunno:
I still have one of them. Think I bought it back in 1993. That's my engine fire/diesel run away extinguisher. It's not going anywhere. I'll take my chances with it.

·
Super Moderator
4,892 Posts
I found that I had 2 of the recalled extinguishers. Submitting the info online wasn't terrible but seemed to be more complicated than it needed to be. I got a response that my submission was accepted but still waiting to hear something back from them.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I have several as well.
Actually got a message on answering machine from BJ's saying that i bought one from them that was being recalled.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
I have 10 extinguishers and found the recall instructions to be a bit confusing. It ended up being easier to simply key in the model / serial / date code for all my extinguishers and let the website come back with a list of which ones were and weren't part of the recall. It also provided a nice printable list of your equipment for future reference.

·
Premium Member
7,334 Posts
It looks like all five of ours on on the list. The oldest being from 1991 and the newest around 2009. Jgayman is right that the Gummint and Kidde's websites' instructions are as clear as mud. Also, the labeling has changed over the years adding to the confusion.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I don't know what's up with that recall...
Had 4 extinguishers. 2 with same date codes. One was made 4 extinguishers after another on serial number. Only one was in recall. Really?:dunno: What gives there?

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
FedEx just delivered a new Kidde fire extinguisher. It came with a FedEx label and instructions to place the effected unit in the box and call FedEx to schedule a pickup. The problem is, none of the 5 I have are on the recall list. I called the 1-855 recall number, explained what happened and I swear I could hear the guys head explode. He said there was nothing he could do and I was to call the 1-800 customer service number.

I called customer service and explained the situation. They asked for the model number of the unit which was sent to me (FA110). They then said it was their mistake and I was to just keep the new extinguisher.

I said Ohhhhh Kay. Thank you. :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
I called customer service and explained the situation. They asked for the model number of the unit which was sent to me (FA110). They then said it was their mistake and I was to just keep the new extinguisher.
so that's where it went, I've been on the phone with the guy whose head exploded looking for mine that they said shipped. apparently the bang head character isn't working along with the pictures. :)

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
thanks for the information I just found 2 :fire: that were included in the recall i will be sent new ones now after registering on line :thumbup1gif:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts