Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was shopping around for landscape rakes and trying to understand the differences. One would think it would be simple but I am struggling to find the right information. Even Google didn't seem to help me out much.

Green paint seems more expensive than what I might have tolerance for this time.

Has anyone had good luck with King Kutter landscape rakes? Do they work with the iMatch? Does one have to get the XB series for a 1025R tractor? In general, one can purchase an 84in. tubular framed landscape rake cheaper than a 60in. XB yard rake.

What might be the pros and cons between a King Kutter landscape Rake and a JD one?

Thanks for your insights!

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
I've been looking at new and used landscape rakes for a month, and one of them was a new KingKutter 7', that a dealer had setting on his lot. I looked and took some pics of it. It looks ok, but not any better than the TSC County Line series, which also looked well-made, and heavy. I don't know anything about the quality of the tines on either rake, but I did talk to a farmer who has been using the CountyLine rake for 7 years, and he told me it works well, and has had no trouble with it. He's backed it into a number of things he said he shouldn't have, but hasn't broken anything.

I looked at the Frontier at a JD dealer, and I really wasn't impressed at all with it. Single point mount bolt for each tine tells me that the max stress point on the tines, is right where the holes through the tines are. Seems likely they would break off right there, if mistreated.

I liked the TSC rake, and the way the tines were mounted. The 6' rake was 499, but if you catch them at the right time, you can get 10% off, so 449 OTD (we have no sales tax here in De). The wheel kit is $280, of you also need that. I think the KK rake was $700 without wheel kit.

I'm sure others will weigh in here, to provide some more info from their perspective.

·
Registered
12,598 Posts
u fellas wanting info about land scape rakes, best place to learn---u-tube on everything attachments--watch teds video's--he talks about his tines where he buys them at, why he put them on this way and such, all very good info to make ur decision. I can't tell u much about the different parts of them, I got a frontier back in 2006 or 07. added the wheel kit around 2010-yeah it's pricey, but I think it's worth every penny, now that's just my 2cts worth. aw-yeah I only bent 2 tines so far from root's getting between them , my uncle has the TSC one, but he only barely uses it-oh. buy what ur happy with--whatever u can afford-u got to be happy with it for sure.:laugh:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I still don't understand the difference between the King Kutter YR-60 (Landscape Rake) vs. YR-G-60 (Professional Landscape Rake) vs. TYR-60 (Tubular Frame Landscape Rake) vs. TYR-60-XB (Sub-compact Landscape Rake). I think the professional one is built heaver but its hard to tell by the pictures. The others all look identical.

I would prefer to have a 6' rake instead of a 5' rake though. The XB series only comes in a 5' model.

Anyway I found TYR-72 at D&L Fleet for $440. I found the same one on sale at Fleet Farm for $400 or regularly priced at $419. The TYR-60-BX regular price was $473 and it was not on sale.

So I decided to purchase the TYR-72 and give it a try. Hope it fits and works well. I will report back after I give it a try.

JFC

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Picked her up at lunch. :yahoo:

Attachments

Reactions: gbnpp05 and Jeff B

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Reactions: gbnpp05

·
Registered
453 Posts
I just bought the same rake locally, used off of Craigslist this past Tuesday night. Per the owner it had been used just twice and it looks it. Wed evening I started attempting to level out some topsoil I had dumped in the yard. I had all but convinced myself that I needed to buy a wheel because it wasn't going good over my rolling/rough yard. I decided to turn the rake around and pull it "backwards". What a difference that made! I got everything leveled out as well as i had expected. Tomorrow I'll give raking a try.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just bought the same rake locally, used off of Craigslist this past Tuesday night. Per the owner it had been used just twice and it looks it. Wed evening I started attempting to level out some topsoil I had dumped in the yard. I had all but convinced myself that I needed to buy a wheel because it wasn't going good over my rolling/rough yard. I decided to turn the rake around and pull it "backwards". What a difference that made! I got everything leveled out as well as i had expected. Tomorrow I'll give raking a try.
By chance do you have the iMatch Quick Hitch? I do and I can't get it to attach. The bolts on the top hook get in the way of it seating properly.

Is yours the same model as mine?

Thanks
JFC

·
Premium Member
10,105 Posts
By chance do you have the iMatch Quick Hitch? I do and I can't get it to attach. The bolts on the top hook get in the way of it seating properly.

Thanks
JFC
A common fix for that is to replace the bolts with pins.

Reactions: Jarred

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

Thanks
JFC
Have you tried raising or lowering the top hook?

I have a King Kutter tiller, Woods rear blade, King Kutter middle buster and a cultivator and all of those require that I move the hook to different positions.

Another thought is to adjust the top link in or out.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts

Thanks
JFC
Several people have solved that by loosening the bolts and moving the hook outward as far as it will go (fraction of an inch) and retightening the bolts. Apparently there's enough slack there that it will work properly. You could also replace the bolts with pins like rtgt mentioned.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Several people have solved that by loosening the bolts and moving the hook outward as far as it will go (fraction of an inch) and retightening the bolts. Apparently there's enough slack there that it will work properly. You could also replace the bolts with pins like rtgt mentioned.
Forgot about that trick.:bigthumb:

Reactions: 56FordGuy and rtgt

·
Registered
453 Posts

Thanks
JFC
My apologies...got my brands mixed up. I bought a County line rake. I do have it on an I Match...the older non-adjustable model, which I bought specifically because I read here about the connection issues with the new style. My dealer had both styles in stock.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have several King Kutter products and love them. They are priced fairly and they hold up well. I have had no issues. The one thing I have been tempted to do is add the wheel kit to my landscape rake. I think it would make it easier to levels things out but the kit is pricey at $200+. I think I will make a wheel kit myself.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you tried raising or lowering the top hook?

I have a King Kutter tiller, Woods rear blade, King Kutter middle buster and a cultivator and all of those require that I move the hook to different positions.

Another thought is to adjust the top link in or out.
It looks like the hook is adjusted to the right setting. It is just that it needs a little more room to get around the bolts while connecting it.

I did play with the top link but it did not seem to mater.

Documentation does state that it is "Quick Hitch" compatible but I wonder if that means for their own brand of quick hitch or some other brand. Is there a "Quick Hitch" standard?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have several King Kutter products and love them. They are priced fairly and they hold up well. I have had no issues. The one thing I have been tempted to do is add the wheel kit to my landscape rake. I think it would make it easier to levels things out but the kit is pricey at $200+. I think I will make a wheel kit myself.
I called King Kutter and they wanted $228. $289 with shipping to North Dakota.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I called King Kutter and they wanted $228. $289 with shipping to North Dakota.
Correction: I called King Kutter and they wanted $242.00 and part number 506005. $286.26 with shipping to North Dakota.

For some reason I could not edit my previous post. :thumbsdown:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Correction: I called King Kutter and they wanted $242.00 and part number 506005. $286.26 with shipping to North Dakota.

For some reason I could not edit my previous post. :thumbsdown:
There is a time limit on post edits. I think it is set at 30 minutes.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Reactions: Zebrafive

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
It's currently set to zero minutes.:laugh:
Well, we are currently having some site issues with this and hope to have it fixed soon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts