Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new 72" king kutter professional tiller for my 2038R. Went to install the slip clutch end of the PTO shaft and found they were too lazy to cover the splines when they painted it, so after taking the time to scrape it off and grease it I made an attempt to slide the shaft on. It wouldn't seat, took it off and tried again and pushed hard. I dont feel like its fully seated (see pictures) and now I cannot get it off by pulling on it. I even put a pry bar on it and pushed the spring pin, still nothing. To me the spring pin doesnt appear to be fully seated so I'm not sure if its locked in place. Anyone else have one of these? Looking to verify if the shaft is seated all the way on the gearbox spline.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
If the button is "out" it should be locked.

One method to remove;.........poor mans slide hammer
Short chain (4-6' )hooked to clutch....other end hooked on big sledge hammer /splitting mall.
Give it a few swings and check for movement.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
That is the type of connections I have. That does not look like it is on the shaft far enough to seat and release the push button. The end of the push button should not still be showing. You have some work to do getting it back off, but that is the first thing you have to work on. Then use a wire brush to fully clean the PTO shaft AND the inside of the connection. Try using oil or fluid film next time instead of grease as it is thinner than grease. That shaft should always just slide on without any significant force such as a hammer, but getting it off may require some more force. In that situation, I use a come-a-long, rather than a hammer.

Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update, I was able to get the slip clutch end back off the spline. I wiped everything down and cleaned the inside of the slip clutch end. Wire brushed it, wiped it all down again and put JD Superlube on both surfaces. Same issue I can get the shaft on about 1.25" before it stops cold. If I force it it gets stuck. I tried the tractor end of the PTO shaft coupler and same thing. I don't feel any noticeable burrs on the spline. I'm really hoping the spline end that made it into the gearbox isn't a reject or out of tolerance. I'll reach out to KK customer service tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
At about 1.25" you are likely hitting the push button lock rod on the end of the PTO shaft. Maybe the push button is not being pushed far enough to clear the end of the PTO shaft. Or possibly the push button lock rod is not turned correctly inside the female shaft. Look inside the female shaft and watch what happens when you push the push button.

Dave

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
At about 1.25" you are likely hitting the push button lock rod on the end of the PTO shaft. Maybe the push button is not being pushed far enough to clear the end of the PTO shaft. Or possibly the push button lock rod is not turned correctly inside the female shaft. Look inside the female shaft and watch what happens when you push the push button.

Dave
That might be the issue. I've also seen the lock rod have issues including being cracked. You might try pulling the lock rod out- it should be held in with a clip. If you pull the rod out and then shaft slides in easily, you know you've got a problem with the rod. Nothing personal but those have reasonably close tolerances to work right.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
I had a spline on a drive shaft that wouldn't go in and discovered the problem was in the spline receptacle. Sometimes they get paint or other material in there. Better check inside the receptacle if you haven't already. Dried grease inside the receptacle is also a possibility.

Keane

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The drive shaft fits on the tractors output shaft just fine, I put both ends on to be sure it wasn't the shafts couplers and both ends slide right on and lock in. It's the input spline shaft on the tillers gear box. Had some back and forth with KK customer service today but they are still asking me to try things I've already done. I'll probably blue it up this coming weekend to see where its hitting, really hoping I dont have to send this thing back, there isn't another in stock around me in JD Green.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Suspension confirmed. I dont think this spline shaft recieved its final grind or if it was broached the cutter was damaged. I took the slip clutch apart so I could see the shaft through the collar. Lucky me! I'm sure there are other tillers out there waiting for purchase with the same issues. I'd recommend fitting the PTO shafts before you lug it home if your buying a King Kutter.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just wanted to post another update about this, as it turns out I was instructed to bring the tiller back to where it was purchased for a full refund. This was the only option they offered me and the store I purchased it from didn't have another one on hand. I rented a trailer to return it (it won't fit in my truck bed due to the topper) and returned without issue, not wanting to give up I drove 75 miles to another store that had one. This unit had the same problem as the last and the drive shaft won't fit the spline on the gear box. I reached out to King Kutter again and they suggested that I now take it to a dealer for repair. At this point I'm growing a bit tired of shouldering the cost of logistics for their defective products. Full disclosure I have quite a few King Kutter attachments (box blade, middle buster, landscape rake) and they've always performed as expected. I know several people that have these tillers and swear by them. I still believe they have good products for the money, but I'm disappointed by the customer service. I don't know how many of these units are out there waiting to be purchased with a gearbox that has an unfinished splines but I don't think I am that unlucky to discover the only two out there. I'm not sure how they do their serial numbers but the difference between the two I have was 3,728. So I just want to reiterate that you should fit the PTO shaft before you leave that stores parking lot. To do this you need a cordless drill with a wire wheel brush on it to remove the paint from the splines as they don't cover them when they spray it and the shaft definitely won't go on with the paint present (sometimes it doesn't go on with it removed either :rolleyes:). Don't end up like me and forget to bring your drill to the store the second time around.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow.... doesn't bode well for me to buy KK products... was considering their 48" tiller .. maybe TTWT can poke in on this and help..

·
Premium Member
8,426 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Wow.... doesn't bode well for me to buy KK products... was considering their 48" tiller .. maybe TTWT can poke in on this and help..
Looks like a manufacturing defect to me. Happens once in awhile to every manufacturer.
They refunded the money. Should be able to get another one, right?

·
Premium Member
8,426 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looks like a manufacturing defect to me. Happens once in awhile to every manufacturer.
They refunded the money. Should be able to get another one, right?
Well Tim, I own a business, sell pretty good amount of parts we ship out.. I don't always make the product, but sometimes there are problems... I try to take care of my customers, quickly and fairly. This deal seemed too long and drawn out, with not very good communication or much concern about a product that cost about $1500 ... I was ready to buy the KK, simply because of your videos... I just unloaded a new TSC 48" tiller due to this thread..
I should add, not because of the defective part, but because of how it was handled by KK ....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys I was in no way shape or form trying deter anyone from purchasing a King Kutter product, I just wanted to bring it to your attention because quite honestly it was a pain in a rear for me to wait for direction from either the store or KK, I like to fix my own problems usually but I felt (at least on the first one) I was going to be taken care of a bit better. What I really wanted was for them to deliver me a new one and take the defective one back, a fair request in my opinion, but that didn't happen. My biggest issues was being out the time which nobody will repay you for anyway and the cost of renting a trailer twice to make an exchange only to have it happen again. Due to the COVID-19 scare and my states non-essential travel ban I elected to fix this problem myself this week by grinding the shaft splines so the PTO shaft would seat far enough to put in the retaining bolt. It was tedious and time consuming but I got it. Its still a bit wet to till but I tested it out on my pumpkin patch and its going to be a great tiller for my needs.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Well Tim, I own a business, sell pretty good amount of parts we ship out.. I don't always make the product, but sometimes there are problems... I try to take care of my customers, quickly and fairly. This deal seemed too long and drawn out, with not very good communication or much concern about a product that cost about $1500 ... I was ready to buy the KK, simply because of your videos... I just unloaded a new TSC 48" tiller due to this thread..
I should add, not because of the defective part, but because of how it was handled by KK ....
You’ll love the TSC County Line / Tarter tiller. It looks like an excellent machine to me.

I didn’t read the whole thread, sorry...someone asked me to weigh in...I should have read the entire thread before providing my commentary.

Tim

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks Tim, I have all the respect for you and your family, have watched your vids for hours and hours.... You inspired me to purchase my new 1025R and several attachments to go with it. You showed me the value and uses of a tractor that I could never have imagined. Definitely my go to tractor guru. In my line of work, I have a bit of a reputation for being somewhat of a guru. Like you I arrived at where I'm at by sharing my experiences with customers all over the country, experience is the best teacher one could have. I use your experience so that I don't have to make tooo many mistakes. Thank You

Oh, and by the way, no problem lifting the almost 600lb tiller, but it definitely sits low to the ground on full lift.. Hooked it up today, going home tonite to grease the shaft, fit it, if needed and try it out..

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
So it was the PTO input shaft on the tiller itself that had splines not properly sized? That is pretty weird. I'm sure that's going to cause KK quite a few headaches trying to resolve that issue with inventory scattered all over. Glad you were able to fix the issue yourself, though it sucks that you had to.

I have a KK Pro 60" tiller, also in 'not-quite-JD-green', and have been very happy with it. It's true though, they have a crappy method for painting things.

Rob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts