Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
We had 12x12 ceramic on our floor in our last kitchen. They used the Schluter DITRA underlayment which really surprised me for a (mid range) builder install back in 2001. We were in that house 9 years and I can honestly say most of the same things that Kenny said. I was really not impressed with the condition after only 9 years. I had some cracked tiles, some grout that was cracked, and some issues with tiles that were in motion. We just started over again last year (new house) and did hardwood this time. I have already dropped a knife and had it stick in the hardwood. Luckily it did not break like Kenny's. I don't have the 9 years of history to compare for the hardwood. But, I will say that I prefer the hardwood for both appearance and comfort. I should add that we did a finished in place hardwood. I had a Bruce pre-finished in the foyer at the old house. I was not pleased at all with how it held up. Many argue that the pre-finished hardwood has a much harder finish. We prefer the appearance of the finished in place hardwood. But have been warned that it will not hold up as well. Ask me again in 5 years. But for now, we are happy with hardwood in the kitchen.

Lee

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.