Looks great! I love the colors.:good2:

·
Premium Member
14,714 Posts
Very nice ,,:bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Very nice. Wife and I are talking about doing ours this spring. Every thing we agree on but The flooring. I want to refinish our hardwood floor and she wants to tear it out and tile it. She probably wins.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

Very nice:good2: p

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice. Wife and I are talking about doing ours this spring. Every thing we agree on but The flooring. I want to refinish our hardwood floor and she wants to tear it out and tile it. She probably wins.
I would run from tile. It was always cold, hard and uncomfortable to stand on. Also, it was an unpleasant experience ripping out the old tile. We decided to go with a waterproof vinyl plank because we always end up with a water on the floor. I would say stick with the hardwoods for resale value alone.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Corndog Hater
11,686 Posts
I would run from tile. It was always cold, hard and uncomfortable to stand on. Also, it was an unpleasant experience ripping out the old tile. We decided to go with a waterproof vinyl plank because we always end up with a water on the floor. I would say stick with the hardwoods for resale value alone.

We want to put laminate in our dining room and living room. We just looked at the vinyl plank flooring this weekend. We really liked it.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
We want to put laminate in our dining room and living room. We just looked at the vinyl plank flooring this weekend. We really liked it.:thumbup1gif:
I have put down an insane amount of laminate over the years but it only took laying the vinyl plank once to turn me away from laminate. Obviously it's no different than anything else in the world, you get what you pay for and I quickly learned there are some choices out there to stay away from. In general though, vinyl is the way to go if you have narrowed your choices down between laminate and vinyl IMO.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
That's one argument I couldn't step back from. It would kill my soul to see hardwood ripped out for tile to be slapped down.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Time to share my kitchen refacing project we worked on over the past couple months.

Great work, your kitchen looks awesome.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,414 Posts
Kitchen looks really good buckteeth445. :thumbup1gif: I for one like the flooring.

·
Corndog Hater
11,686 Posts
Time to share my kitchen refacing project we worked on over the past couple months.

Looking at your pics again, I must say I really like how the window stands out with the white trim. I have been trying to get my bride to come around to the idea of going to white trim. She cannot see past the fact that our windows and sliding doors are stained wood. :banghead:

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking at your pics again, I must say I really like how the window stands out with the white trim. I have been trying to get my bride to come around to the idea of going to white trim. She cannot see past the fact that our windows and sliding doors are stained wood. :banghead:
It was a lot of work going from stained wood to enamel, sand, killz (oil based) and two coats of water based enamel, it was definitely worth it. My biggest obstacle was having 18 windows to paint in the dining room.

I take no credit for the color scheme, the wife dreamed it up.

Total project came in at 12k. Granite and flooring were the only jobs we subcontracted. The lowest bid for an outside contractor to do all the work was 30k.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have put down an insane amount of laminate over the years but it only took laying the vinyl plank once to turn me away from laminate. Obviously it's no different than anything else in the world, you get what you pay for and I quickly learned there are some choices out there to stay away from. In general though, vinyl is the way to go if you have narrowed your choices down between laminate and vinyl IMO.
From what I understand you want to stay away from anything water resistant. Waterproof with no organic materials is the best route.

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
Nice remodel, a he77 of a lot of work! Went floor cover shopping yesterday and Mrs.P. decided on engineered hardwood. 3/8" thick 5 layered t&g stuff. It is a little spendy but has a lifetime warranty. Anyone use this stuff? Will be replacing Laminate and carpet end will use some area rugs for warmth. I like the current flooring and checkbook balance. I even asked her if seeing the joy on my face if I got a Gator would replace the need for new flooring? Bad question!:laugh:

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
That's one argument I couldn't step back from. It would kill my soul to see hardwood ripped out for tile to be slapped down.
I'm with you on that. We remodeled and added on a few years back and I asserted my will and had red oak tongue and groove flooring installed. The finishing was a nightmare to live through but I am satisfied that to me it was worth it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts