Very nice! Nawwd on that bad boy with the deere! Haha:lol:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,737 Posts
Very persistent HoneyDew, I give ya that. :thumbup1gif:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,219 Posts
Well, there you have it. Axe and loppers 0, stump 0, John Deere 1. Not bad for a weekend.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
194 Posts
since I have had my tractor, I cant imagine life without one again!!!

especially at 56 YO.....the work this thing does is amazing....hauling timber out of the woods and piling logs nice and neat and digging stumps, and leveling land...

how are white birch stumps to dig??

Got one on my agenda

bob

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,219 Posts
since I have had my tractor, I cant imagine life without one again!!!

especially at 56 YO.....the work this thing does is amazing....hauling timber out of the woods and piling logs nice and neat and digging stumps, and leveling land...

how are white birch stumps to dig??

Got one on my agenda

bob
I think it would be best if you used your back hoe. :lol:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Great job!

But, golly, that looks like it was a heckuva lot of work! And to think I was unsure whether I wanted to tackle some much smaller stumps when I (finally) get a backhoe for my 2012 1026R. You give me faith, brother!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was about twice as fast removing this stump than the first.. now that I understand the technique to use. This one took about 3 hrs of digging, moving, and cutting roots. I wasn't in a hurry.

I found that running the bh at about 2200 rpm worked best. That allowed me to use multiple functions at same time (boom, dipper, curl). I also found that if I started to dump (uncurl) when boom was close to max swing I had less tendency to hit the stops hard. It was much smoother.

Just wondering... does running the rpm's a little higher help keep the hydraulics cooler? seems like it did to me when diggin. I felt less heat coming off the valve body.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I was about twice as fast removing this stump than the first.. now that I understand the technique to use. This one took about 3 hrs of digging, moving, and cutting roots. I wasn't in a hurry.

I found that running the bh at about 2200 rpm worked best. That allowed me to use multiple functions at same time (boom, dipper, curl). I also found that if I started to dump (uncurl) when boom was close to max swing I had less tendency to hit the stops hard. It was much smoother.

Just wondering... does running the rpm's a little higher help keep the hydraulics cooler? seems like it did to me when diggin. I felt less heat coming off the valve body.
Actually, I believe it's the opposite. The faster you run the pump, the more heat you create. According to the operator's manual for the 260 backhoe:

Operate tractor engine at the proper speed to reduce hydraulic system heat buildup in hot conditions.

Maximum engine speed when using backhoe in hot conditions:

1023 / 1026R - 2400 rpm

2210 / 2305 - 2300 rpm

Faster engine speeds result in faster backhoe movement. When operating where precise movements of the backhoe are required, slow the engine to slow backhoe movement.

Digging forces and breakout forces are functions of hydraulic pressure only, and are the same at any digging rpm.

Source: Operating

Full Manual: omlvu23711_h0

Higher rpm's don't increase the pressure, just the flow rate of the fluid. Personally I like to run my backhoe right around 2000-2200 rpm. It's fast enough to be effective but not so fast that it's hard to control.

I run it slower when my wife is at the controls, but she likes it that way.
:good2:

·
Registered
982 Posts
I keep my idle very low or the 46 hoe is like a bucking bronco. When I think I need more power I am inclined to boost the revs only to find I don't really have more power just the rodeo is back. If I keep the revs up any savings in time I might realize with quicker operation are negated by feathering time on the sticks.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,737 Posts
I keep my idle very low or the 46 hoe is like a bucking bronco. When I think I need more power I am inclined to boost the revs only to find I don't really have more power just the rodeo is back. If I keep the revs up any savings in time I might realize with quicker operation are negated by feathering time on the sticks.
Was the same with the 2320, now I like right around 2600 RPMs but I do have less GPM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts