Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,419 Posts
It sounds like the infamous broken air cleaner bracket problem. The valve cover breaks where the air cleaner bracket is attached. JD came out with a retrofit a while back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried to fix the valve cover by using j b weld to bond a piece of aluminum to cover the hole thinking I only had a bad diesel fuel problem and as more people got involved I realized it was much more serious I’ll contact the dealer after this weekend to see if there aware of the problem

·
Premium Member
17,419 Posts
I tried to fix the valve cover by using j b weld to bond a piece of aluminum to cover the hole thinking I only had a bad diesel fuel problem and as more people got involved I realized it was much more serious I’ll contact the dealer after this weekend to see if there aware of the problem
Be prepared for "That's the first we've heard of that problem". :)

·
Administrator
23,176 Posts
Long thread here...many have had engines replaced because of this issue.

FYY though, it's not the "valve cover", it's part of the intake.

·
Registered
J.D 2038r
670 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problem . But welcome to GTT from NW Ct.

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
You probably have a 2013 model, 2012 was the last year for the 1026R which was replaced in 2013 with the new fully EPA Tier 4 compliant 1025R. When I got my 1026R in March 2013, I debated on the new 1025R and went with the older version and I am glad I did.

·
Registered
2014 1025R, 1939 Ford 9N, CTA Grapple, BB, 60" MMM, Lndscp Rake, Back Bl, disk, cultv, 2 bott plow
7 Posts
1025r just found out why it’s blowing white smoke when I opened hood and found the valve cover broken and pieces if it missing probably in the motor it’s a 2012
Sorry to hear you machine was congested. My 2014 1025r had a rattle under the hood and i checked and noticed the air cleaner bracked had cracked the plate covering the intake manifold. Took it to dealer here in WI and they sent me the picture showing how bad the plate was busted. Motor ingested some steel, but kept running. John Deere and Yanmar stood behind product and replaced motor at no cost to me. It was 2014 withh 900 hours on it. Reseach previous posts on topic, I included a screen shot from one of the posts that helped my dealer..
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Bicycle chain Bicycle drivetrain part

Light Product Green Font Screenshot

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Talk about timing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
. Took it to dealer here in WI and they sent me the picture showing how bad the plate was busted. Motor ingested some steel, but kept running. John Deere and Yanmar stood behind product and replaced motor at no cost to me. It was 2014 withh 900 hours on it.
I'm in WI. I wish I had your dealer! The dealer told me it didn't concern 2013 models, and that was before and after showing pictures of broken covers. I've removed my bracket for now. I'm not sure, but I may have a fracture in the cover. Looks like a new cover & gasket is about $70. And $200 to relocate air cleaner. Every one of these should have been recalled!

·
Registered
2014 1025R, 1939 Ford 9N, CTA Grapple, BB, 60" MMM, Lndscp Rake, Back Bl, disk, cultv, 2 bott plow
7 Posts
Tractor Central in Cameron WI took care of issue with no difficulty for my 2014 1025r. Hope Kensr was able to get good results with their JD team.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I'm in WI. I wish I had your dealer! The dealer told me it didn't concern 2013 models, and that was before and after showing pictures of broken covers. I've removed my bracket for now. I'm not sure, but I may have a fracture in the cover. Looks like a new cover & gasket is about $70. And $200 to relocate air cleaner. Every one of these should have been recalled!
My new local dealer wouldn't do the update unless the intake was cracked or broken, however the full kit listed around $78 including the new, smaller filters. I bit the bullet and paid. the install is pretty easy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My new local dealer wouldn't do the update unless the intake was cracked or broken, however the full kit listed around $78 including the new, smaller filters. I bit the bullet and paid. the install is pretty easy.
I'm currently dealing with a similar issue...broken cover plate as a result of the air cleaner bracket vibrating loose. I recovered all pieces except for a tiny sliver of the top of the cover, which may not even be down in intake. Been back and forth with John Deere and my local JD dealer for almost a month now. John Deere won't give me any idea what they might cover without a diagnostic evaluation by the dealer.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I'm currently dealing with a similar issue...broken cover plate as a result of the air cleaner bracket vibrating loose. I recovered all pieces except for a tiny sliver of the top of the cover, which may not even be down in intake. Been back and forth with John Deere and my local JD dealer for almost a month now. John Deere won't give me any idea what they might cover without a diagnostic evaluation by the dealer.
Well does your engine run alright? I'd do a compression test and if it comes out showing all cylinders within a few percent of each other then, I'd say it's fine and no need to involve a dealer.

And it's only fair that JD wants to evaluate your tractor before they quote you anything. You have to remember, some people are shady and always try to "get theirs" at the expense of everyone else.

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
15,144 Posts
Been back and forth with John Deere and my local JD dealer for almost a month now. John Deere won't give me any idea what they might cover without a diagnostic evaluation by the dealer.
Seems reasonable to me, let them diagnose it, it's the only way you might possibly get Deere's help in remedying the situation. Just ask up front what costs you might incur for the diagnostic evaluation and find out what they plan to do during this evaluation.

Once they tell you, I would get the tractor on their repair schedule. Without a diagnostic evaluation, neither Deere nor the dealer can really tell you anything you don't already know. This seems to be a very reasonable request by Deere (and the dealer) to me. The longer you delay, the greater the chances you are going to bear the entire cost of the machine repair. Why take that chance?

Since the official program to perform the repairs for this problem closed about 3 months ago, I certainly wouldn't delay having the evaluation performed. Waiting is likely to only cost you more money and reduce the chances there will be financial assistance on this matter from Deere corporate.

The dealers hands are tied and they are merely following the directions from Deere corporate. Time is of the essence here, not to mention the tractor is sitting there wounded and inoperable in a safe manner until further action is taken.

And, we are rapidly approaching harvest time where the service department is going to be very busy with the machines used agriculturally. I would call the Service Department Monday and find out what the Diagnostic evaluation involves and what its going to cost you and I would get them started on the process immediately.

I don't see any upside for you for continuing the "back and forth" and I see only a huge downside. Its time to make the machine evaluation happen.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts