Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was mowing the lawn today and apparently came too close to a underground yellow jacket nest. They started stinging the crap out of me while I was going uphill towards the house. I pressed down all the way on the go fast pedal and was swatting, slapping, and jumping around in the seat when suddenly the tractor stalls midway. Operator out of seat shut down the tractor.

So there I am in a panic trying to escape as fast as I could and trying to figure out what next. Ok parking brake, seatbelt, and jump off. Well I got the parking brake, seatbelt was fighting me, but the arm rest snagged my shirt and I tumbled off the side, roll, and got up running towards the safety of the house. All in all I got stung only a few times and a sore ankle. Could have been worse if I didn't know exactly where the parking brake was or a somewhat collected mind to engage it before I escaped with my life.

Moral is you never know when you'll end up in a situation, some are foreseeable, some sting the hell out of you.

Tonight it's yellow jacket killing. Gas works great
IMG_20190728_115813.jpg

·
Registered
495 Posts
Bigness - I've not yet had the displeasure this summer of disturbing an underground yellowjacket nest. Our prior experience is one free pass then avoid the swarm the next time around, Gas or pre-mix is a great killer, but it doesn't cool off much at night to keep them from getting stirred up again.

I'm not cursed with an arm rest on my rig, so bailing out would be easier for me. Decades ago I was spraying "hot-shot" brand killer into a football sized paper nest in a landscape evergreen. The angry devil paralleled the stream and got me hard on the wrist. Probably the last time I've been stung here.

Brian

I was mowing the lawn today and apparently came too close to a underground yellow jacket nest. They started stinging the crap out of me while I was going uphill towards the house. I pressed down all the way on the go fast pedal and was swatting, slapping, and jumping around in the seat when suddenly the tractor stalls midway. Operator out of seat shut down the tractor.

So there I am in a panic trying to escape as fast as I could and trying to figure out what next. Ok parking brake, seatbelt, and jump off. Well I got the parking brake, seatbelt was fighting me, but the arm rest snagged my shirt and I tumbled off the side, roll, and got up running towards the safety of the house. All in all I got stung only a few times and a sore ankle. Could have been worse if I didn't know exactly where the parking brake was or a somewhat collected mind to engage it before I escaped with my life.

Moral is you never know when you'll end up in a situation, some are foreseeable, some sting the hell out of you.

View attachment 697414

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
Been there, done that two summers ago. Got me twice in the back under one eye and in the forehead. It took me a while to locate the nest which was buried deep under a lot of dead leaves in the middle of a bush.

Once located it was time for full on warfare. It was the best use of half a gallon of kerosene I’ve ever witnessed. The flames against the night sky was a sight to behold. When the charred earth cooled I dug up the bush to reveal a huge underground cavity containing thousands of dead enemy soldiers.

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
Dang, still a beautiful piece of property. And who wouldn’t want that awesome tractor there sitting on it as well.

Too bad the OP can’t use it....

Perhaps I could store it for you here? Just trying to help man. This yellow jacket problem could last a long time.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been there, done that two summers ago. Got me twice in the back under one eye and in the forehead. It took me a while to locate the nest which was buried deep under a lot of dead leaves in the middle of a bush.

Once located it was time for full on warfare. It was the best use of half a gallon of kerosene I’ve ever witnessed. The flames against the night sky was a sight to behold. When the charred earth cooled I dug up the bush to reveal a huge underground cavity containing thousands of dead enemy soldiers.
Funny how we take such vengeance against such tiny creatures. Very painful tiny creatures though.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dang, still a beautiful piece of property. And who wouldn’t want that awesome tractor there sitting on it as well.

Perhaps I could store it for you here? Just trying to help man. This yellow jacket problem could last a long time.

Thanks, but I rescued it an HR ago. They seemed to have retreated to their underground bunker. They don't know what is to come.... hahaha. I may be replying a successful attack tonight or painful failure. We'll see:lol:

·
Registered
21,530 Posts

I would say that pic would make an awesome Deere ad.

Big - back to your subject - yes, being able to automatically get to the controls like the parking brake are certainly warranted. It could have come out a lot worse than it did for you especially with the hill involved. You could have easily been run over by your own tractor while trying to escape. Then the little buggers would have had their way with you.....

·
Premium Member
11,015 Posts
Funny how we take such vengeance against such tiny creatures. Very painful tiny creatures though.
I'm a "Live and Let Live" guy usually but once they draw first blood then it becomes an Apocalypse Now remake! Except when it comes to snakes... then it's strike first and strike hard. :)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. Its the only way to be sure. :lol:
I actually thought of a flame thrower. Or gas and tannerite combination

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Revenge was served! With a gallon or two of room temperature gas. Dug it up and found a smallish nest with allot of yellow jackets.

Ducks came by to oversee the attack.:lolol:

IMG_20190728_193606.jpg

IMG_20190728_193738.jpg

IMG_20190728_193743.jpg

IMG_20190728_193829.jpg

·
Registered
12,577 Posts
Yellow Jackets are the devil's own children, I'm convinced of that.
Many years ago we had a swingset when Miranda was very small, one of them tubular ones. In the top tube they had nested and when she was climbing up to go down the slide one stung her on the back of her hand. I brought her in the house and put an ice cube on it and then some sting stuff that my wife had. Afterwards, her and I went back and I told her I would even the score, I used two cans of the foaming spray and literally filled the whole tube from one end to the other and used the good stuff on them as they dropped out and tried to escape. The whole time she standing at a distance yelling "kill them daddy, kill them all" :lol: And so I did as she asks. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
610 Posts
At our last house (in Florida) I spent a bunch of time taking care of the yard and landscaping. I would sip on a beer for an hour or so, one time I took a sip and felt something in my mouth. Then it stung me on the inside of my lip - I think it was a bee or wasp.

Being the bright fellow I was it happened again a couple of months later - then I got the message.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It seems like a bad year for bees. I took a shotgun to a basketball sized nest of bald faced hornets just a few weeks ago. My dad got stung up by yellow jackets in the ground the other day here in my woods. They stung up my dog as well. I’m glad to see you put a hurting on them!

·
Premium Member
7,515 Posts
A couple years ago I was clearing brush with the grapple. As I backed up with a load of brush, I saw a cloud of dust from where I just pulled up brush. But is was not dust, but a cloud of angry yellow jackets. I knew there would be no "free pass" like when you pass by too close.

Behind me was a hill, too steep for the 2wd 2030 to back up (where is MFWD when you need it?). This was trail along a fence line, no room to turn around. I had planned to go forward with the load of brush to the burn pile.

So I shut off the tractor, slowly got off, and walked backwards away and up the hill. The cloud of yellow jackets were bouncing off the tractor, apparently they were heat seeking missiles :laugh:. I escaped without any stings. I retrieved the tractor after dark.

Not one to push my luck, I never did go back and attack the nest.

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
Hard to maintain a presence of mind while being attacked by those buggers. Glad you managed to escape and the tractor was safe as well.

Many years ago Dad and my brother were bush hogging and my brother ran over a nest. When they attacked him he just jumped off the tractor and ran. All Dad could do is watch it drive off into the woods. Fortunately it hit a big tree and stalled. For what ever reason, my brother decided to take off his shirt to fight them. Dad said it was hilarious to watch.

I've only found one nest here. Actually my dog found it while we were all on a walk. Once they came out, she vacated the area. My wife's dog just stood there snapping at them so my wife went into save her. They both got bit. Kimber and I just watched. My wife was not happy with either of us.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad you are okay Big. I had a similar experience two months ago. While doing loader work, I managed to pick up part of a subterranean hornets nest. I didn't realize what happened until the loader was eye level just above the hood of the tractor. There was a huge black cloud of swarming hornets in the bucket. I was level and stopped so I jumped off the tractor, lost my footing when I hit the ground and face planted on my left side. When I hit the ground, it was like someone threw a blanket over me from head to boot. I got up and ran 50 yards before tripping and the swarm covered me again. I ran another 50 yards while stripping my clothes off as they had managed to get inside my jeans. One hornet entrapped himself in my right ear canal of which I may have sustained some hearing loss. I counted 70 stings - 20 of which were to my right ear. The swelling was such that there were probably more stings, I just couldn't count them. I'd imagine that if I were allergic I would have been dead before getting back to the house. The infuriating thing was that the hornets pretty much had my tractor hostage as half the nest was in my bucket and hornets will swarm and attack at night. They continued to swarm through the night and the next day. It took 4-5 attempts the following day to retrieve the tractor and once I did, I mixed 40 gallons of poison in my pto sprayer and proceeded to drop the entire payload on the nest and surrounding area. This can be a very dangerous situation and honestly, I'm not sure how to avoid something that I can't see. I'm just glad that I found them and not my wife or kids.

Be well sir.

View attachment 697414

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hard to like that. Glad you're ok:bigthumb:

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
Wow! That’s crazy! Glad you’re ok to share the story with us.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts