Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Yellow jackets, ground wasps are the few things that I will kill without mercy. A few years ago I had a ground wasp nest in my landscaping next to my house, too close to burn em. I found this poison powder that you sprinkle around the openings of the nest at night. Did this for a few days and I’ll be damned if that stuff didn’t kill that nest completely in a few days, I was impressed.

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
No need to light the gas. Just pour down the hole, kills them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
insecticide dust for wasps

I... Tonight it's yellow jacket killing. Gas works great.
View attachment 697414
We all have our favorite means of exacting revenge. Mine is to creep to the nest about a half hour after sunset, when it's almost dark and the wasps are all tucked into their nest, and loathe to fly. Then I squirt a teaspoon or so of "Tempo" (cyfluthrin) 1% dust into the hole. The nest will be entirely dead within 24 hrs or so. Wasps flying in and out will carry the dust deep into their lair.

This is the stuff a pro exterminator used on a large nest on my house a few years ago. It's very effective. I have no relationship other than being a customer, but I got it at domyown dot com. A small bottle should last you many years.

I get swarmed every year, working in my prairie. Neighbors laugh . . . but mosquito netting has often saved my face, if not my hands.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I had a nest of yellow jackets get me while mowing years ago. I saw the area they were at and got a can of raid, taped the nozzle down and threw it like a hand grenade. :lolol: Not sure that did any good, but later I did some research and found out they go into their hole at night. I poured gas in the hole after dark and that did the trick.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Yellow jackets, ground wasps are the few things that I will kill without mercy. A few years ago I had a ground wasp nest in my landscaping next to my house, too close to burn em. I found this poison powder that you sprinkle around the openings of the nest at night. Did this for a few days and I’ll be damned if that stuff didn’t kill that nest completely in a few days, I was impressed.
...nature is intresting...

Skunks here will search out and dig up nests and eat yellow jackets
insecticide dust for wasps
We all have our favorite means of exacting revenge. Mine is to creep to the nest about a half hour after sunset, when it's almost dark and the wasps are all tucked into their nest, and loathe to fly. Then I squirt a teaspoon or so of "Tempo" (cyfluthrin) 1% dust into the hole. The nest will be entirely dead within 24 hrs or so. Wasps flying in and out will carry the dust deep into their lair.

This is the stuff a pro exterminator used on a large nest on my house a few years ago. It's very effective. I have no relationship other than being a customer, but I got it at domyown dot com. A small bottle should last you many years.

I get swarmed every year, working in my prairie. Neighbors laugh . . . but mosquito netting has often saved my face, if not my hands.
Sevin dust also works well to kill Yellow Jackets. A handful of dust into the hole of the nest will eliminate them in a couple of days, they get it on their bodies and carry it into the nest. The queen has to die in order to eliminate the nest. My exterminator told me about this several years ago and I've gotten rid of several nests this way

As for skunks, I seem to have a good supply of them around here, I wish there were a way to "introduce" them to the yellow jacket nests I find, let them take care of business for me

·
Registered
23,057 Posts
Sevin dust also works well to kill Yellow Jackets. A handful of dust into the hole of the nest will eliminate them in a couple of days, they get it on their bodies and carry it into the nest. The queen has to die in order to eliminate the nest. My exterminator told me about this several years ago and I've gotten rid of several nests this way

As for skunks, I seem to have a good supply of them around here, I wish there were a way to "introduce" them to the yellow jacket nests I find, let them take care of business for me
Good to know about the Sevin dust - have lots on the shelf.

I has my first bout with yellow jacket ground nests this past summer after living here for 25 years. I get to wondering what us different now all of a sudden.

We have lots of skunks also. I let them be as long as they stay far enough from the house where Jake isn’t going to get them.

It would be a nice evolutionary solution if the skunks would take care of those nests.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Good to know about the Sevin dust - have lots on the shelf.

I has my first bout with yellow jacket ground nests this past summer after living here for 25 years. I get to wondering what us different now all of a sudden.

We have lots of skunks also. I let them be as long as they stay far enough from the house where Jake isn’t going to get them.

It would be a nice evolutionary solution if the skunks would take care of those nests.
I might go a couple of years and not find a YJ nest, and some years find two or even three. I had one in the soffet of my house above the kitchen window about 4 years ago, it was incredible hard to get rid of, they had numerous entrances. I couldn't use the "nuclear option", didn't want to burn my house down. I used Sevin in repeated applications and finally killed the nest.

The skunk option doesn't work in my fenced yard, my Pit/Boxer mix loves to go after anything in the yard and she is pure hell on skunks, to my chagrin. Usually gets at least three a summer and it's no fun trying to wash the stink off her, because she's an inside dog, too.

·
Registered
23,057 Posts
I might go a couple of years and not find a YJ nest, and some years find two or even three. I had one in the soffet of my house above the kitchen window about 4 years ago, it was incredible hard to get rid of, they had numerous entrances. I couldn't use the "nuclear option", didn't want to burn my house down. I used Sevin in repeated applications and finally killed the nest.

The skunk option doesn't work in my fenced yard, my Pit/Boxer mix loves to go after anything in the yard and she is pure hell on skunks, to my chagrin. Usually gets at least three a summer and it's no fun trying to wash the stink off her, because she's an inside dog, too.
I usually spot the skunks at night - we have a dusk-dawn light that shines all the way between the barn and house. Easy pickings out the window with the .22 - the sound doesn’t even phase them when they are concentrating on grubbing. Seems to take me a few shots in the dark.

But if it is multiple shots most likeky I will get the stink which works itself into the house somehow anyway.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I usually spot the skunks at night - we have a dusk-dawn light that shines all the way between the barn and house. Easy pickings out the window with the .22 - the sound doesn’t even phase them when they are concentrating on grubbing. Seems to take me a few shots in the dark.

But if it is multiple shots most likeky I will get the stink which works itself into the house somehow anyway.
I usually go after them with a .410 and #6 shot. You need to be a little closer, maybe, but not so close you get sprayed, and a couple of pellets is all it takes on them. The problem is getting to them before the dog see them.

·
Registered
670 Posts
We usually get yellow jacket nests over the shed or garage door. Someplace you can't burn them out. I've tried the foaming bug killer and it does work usually overnight. If they build a nest around a tree branch the shotgun is usually very effective. I didn't realize that you didn't have to light up the gas to kill yellowjackets. I'm going to have to try that one out.
Something that has worked for us too is the paper wasp nests that you can buy at the hardware store. You hang one up and the wasps won't come near it. It's a territory thing I guess.

Reactions: Poppi

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Knock on wood, but so far been lucky on my property. Wife stirred some up with the string trimmer last year (guess which chore she doesn't do anymore, lol), but it wasn't even a 'swarm' just one or two really persistent buggers that got a few shots in.

As we're on a very wet, wooded lot next to some typical NJ wetlands, I can't help but wonder if mother nature is doing her thing to keep down the mega nests. We have a massive population of hunter-killer ground spiders (I can easily eyeball at least half a third dozen scurrying around any given square foot of my property depending on the time of year), and an even more abundant population of dragon flies. Have at least 4 different species floating around. The latter certainly go to town on our mosquitos, as we get mosquitos for about a week, and then get an explosion of dragonflies. You'll get no complaints from me!

I figure that's a pretty hostile environment for even a wasp; ground nests are easy prey for the hyper athletic hunter killers (hard to grow the swarm if they're constantly being snacked on), and the dragonflies clearly have air superiority covered.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts