Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a Koi pond out there? I'm fighting a losing battle with the algea this year and just installed a UV Filter as a last ditched effort. Has anyone had luck with the UV Filter or is there a water treatment I am missing?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi,

I owned a house with a Koi pond (from previous owner). I owned the house for 10 years. I installed a UV filter to fight algae. This was in Northern CA-- temps ranged from 32F to 102F.

Koi generate lots of "waste" (aka poop) and that causes algae to grow.

Also, most owners build a sand,gravel filter with screen to "trap" waste and clean the water. These are pretty simple to build-- anything from a five gallon bucket to a 50 gallon plastic barrel will do.

check this site out for the "how to": DIY 55 Gallon Barrel Pond Filter

Also, there are "algae eater" fish-- but they don't like temps much below 35F.

Good luck!

Koi are a lot of fun.

-Matt

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great resource! Now I have a use for all of those plastic straps on my FedEx shipments.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
We had a koi pond. At our old house. Had the same problem. The UV filter cleared it right up.

Look up the pond digger on YouTube. He has lots of good information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We had a koi pond. At our old house. Had the same problem. The UV filter cleared it right up.

Look up the pond digger on YouTube. He has lots of good information.

My pond looks vanilla compared to the one at your old place.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Off on a topic tangent here, but how do you prodect the koi from predators - cats, birds, possums, raccoons, etc.?

Around here koi ponds are sometimes called "wildlife feeders."

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Off on a topic tangent here, but how do you prodect the koi from predators - cats, birds, possums, raccoons, etc.?

Around here koi ponds are sometimes called "wildlife feeders."
Never had a problem with predators even though I regularly see racoon scat. The fish can go 4' deep and hide between the folds in the liner.

Originally, I installed bird netting over the top but the squirrels were always tearing it up to drink water so it was removed.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Keep the edges deep and make the pond 3-4 feet deep.

You can also install a fish cave.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi,

For "varmints"-- raccoons, skunks, feral cats, etc.-- use metal mesh wire-- like "chicken wire" fence or hardware cloth.

I had this issue and they can wipe out your pond in a hurry-- regardless of depth and rocks. I had a three foot deep pond with a 2 foot rock retaining wall and the raccoons got in no problem.

Good luck!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Roughly two weeks and the UV Filter has done amazing job cleaning up the water.

How does a UV filter work? Do you need electricity at the pond for it?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
How does a UV filter work? Do you need electricity at the pond for it?
Yes.

Same as the UV filter in a well. Kills bacteria. Then they climb together and get filtered out.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I've found keeping the ph down helps,found this out a couple of years ago when we had rains out of the NW.Acid rain is higher due to the steel plants in Hamilton,Ontario.(I'm SE in NY) My pool ph was running on the low end to the point I needed ph plus to get it back to 7.2-7.5 range,however the pond never looked so good.This is a newer pic had to replace the pine trees they got to big,found some dwarf spruces that max out at 15-20'.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
My ponds are different. My larger pond is maybe 100X150 and the smaller one is about half that size and they are about 6' deep in parts of them. They are filled with bass, crappie, blue gills and some catfish. When I moved here 19 years ago, I tried to deal with the algae and other issues but finally gave up. The ponds have a life of their own and they may be clear one day and filled with algae and covered another. The water in the ponds turn over and mother nature tends to take care of things. I just let it go and shoot turtles occasionally as they like to eat fish. The fish are fat and I don't feed them anything. IMG_0416.JPG My house 001.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts