Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i have a new to me b6200 gear drive and when i put it in gear with clutch pressed down it lets a horrible grinding noise. Any ideas? when i let off the clutch it quiets to nothing and drives fine.:hi:Thanks in advance!!!:hi:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Hello i have a new to me b6200 gear drive and when i put it in gear with clutch pressed down it lets a horrible grinding noise. Any ideas? when i let off the clutch it quiets to nothing and drives fine.:hi:Thanks in advance!!!:hi:
Sounds like a clutch problem. When the clutch pedal is down gears are still spinning. That's usually why it won't engage cleanly. Could also be that the clutch linkage is not working correctly.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Your throw out bearing is going bad. This is the bearing that takes the load and spins on the clutch when you press your clutch pedal in allowing your clutch to disconnect so you can change gears. I don't know how many hours you have on your tractor but that would also be a good time to replace the clutch and review the pressure plate for wear.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Your throw out bearing is going bad. This is the bearing that takes the load and spins on the clutch when you press your clutch pedal in allowing your clutch to disconnect so you can change gears. I don't know how many hours you have on your tractor but that would also be a good time to replace the clutch and review the pressure plate for wear.
I agree, based on the description. The clutch can be adjusted, but if the grinding is in the clutch, and not the transmission, it's the throwout. The tractor will have to be broken in half, so it's a good time to put a whole clutch system in it (not just the throwout bearing).
You have a tough, reliable, simple tractor, and clutches, and the associated parts, are wear items. It's gonna go bad, sooner or later.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But when i press the clutch down it is a different grinding sound and comes from the transmission area not the clutch. I adjusted the clutch but it did not help

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
But when i press the clutch down it is a different grinding sound and comes from the transmission area not the clutch. I adjusted the clutch but it did not help
Adjusting the clutch will not change the sound or help in anyway. Sound does travel, when you press the clutch in, ALL torque to the transmission is gone. It's like being in neutral ALL gears stop turning to include the shaft that goes into the transmission. ALL of the load is now on the throw out bearing. When the clutch is pressed you are separating the engine torque to the transmission. The clutch is the intermediate part that allows you to change the gears. The only way the transmission or the gears in the transmission will turn when the clutch is pressed is to roll the tractor down a hill or drift.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok that helps some. but it does not grind in neutral. Is that still the throw out bearing?
I feel i am just not very brilliant so bear with me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It has 1000Hours on new clutch and bearings. is that normal hours for them to give up? 0124181131.jpg 0124181131a.jpg 0124181131b.jpg 0124181131c.jpg

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Ok that helps some. but it does not grind in neutral. Is that still the throw out bearing?
I feel i am just not very brilliant so bear with me.
That would be correct. Being in neutral there is no load on the bearing, which is now engaged with the engine to the transmission. Clutches on tractors vary on length of time and the way a owner may use them. Some tractors never need a clutch replaced, while an owner that uses their tractor for everything from plowing a garden to plowing snow may shorten the life on the clutch. It will also depend on if the owner rides the foot on the clutch pedal. This will ruin a throw-out bearing in a heartbeat and shorten the life on the clutch plates and fingers.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks i will s[plit it and let you know what i find.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts