Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, thanks for the forum...

My father-in-laws PTO quit working on his LA-140...I got out my voltmeter and checked voltages, resistance, etc and everything looked ok... When I went to unhook the PTO clutch harness connector, the yellow (Power) wire fell out of it's connector...Broken...

After removing the connector from the clutch, I checked voltages and have 12 volts between the yellow and black ground wires when the pto switch is engaged...So, problem solved except I need some suggestions on how to repair the connector or use a work around...I would rather not spend 50 bucks for a complete harness just to cut off the connector and pig-tail it back together...Also, it is a nasty place to try to get into that area and work...

Would I be better off to remove the clutch to see what kind of connectors might fit ? Remove the deck ? Anyone else had to deal with this before?

Here is a similar picture of what I am dealing with, except my yellow wire is broken off the connector and not the black....
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h433/tigeridge/la140_PTO_plug_zpse256d7b1.jpg

Thanks so much for any help !!

·
Super Moderator
5,976 Posts
I don't blame you for not wanting to get a complete new harness for one wire. If it's possible, I'd cut the wire at both ends and make my own "new" wire with male and female spade connectors. If it is in a confined space,then it's definitely not going to be quick and easy. I'm sure things are going to have to be disassembled.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Tigerridge, hope you figured out a solution. It looks like you might be able to push out the old spade connector in the plug and re-crimp the wire back into it. I've reused connectors before like that when they were "special" and/or not easily replaced. Further to glc's response, maybe new spades on the ends and skip the plug altogether.

I have a similar problem myself right now... my deck stopped working and attempted to check all circuits etc. What OHM reading did you get or what are you supposed to have from the magnet coil? I think I have multiple issues but want to narrow it down. What I have done is tap into the wires and put 12v straight to the magnet coil. It works and engages but only intermittently, sometimes not at all. That makes me think the magnet is the problem. However, I'm not getting the 12v from the wire harness alone so there is something wrong up the line.

I'm working the "hot wire" approach first to at least cut my grass! was away for holidays and it needs it now!!
Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unconnected, you should have 3-4 ohms across the terminals...Let me know how you come out....If you need a clutch, there is a great source on EBay

·
Premium Member
9,067 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had both the electric clutch and PTO switch fry themselves on my L-130.

This picture and caption, and the six following it describe the fun I had with my clutch and switch.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110106108324823291002/JohnDeereL130Misc#5382692278412032866
Nice work !! I guess I lucked out on the clutch as I was able to remove it with just an impact wrench... I also used your method of fixing the wiring harness with spade connectors and quick connects.... As a word of advice to anyone else, use 14g wire and female spade connectors on the clutch side, and quick connects on the other end... BEFORE reinstalling the new clutch, go ahead and connect your pigtail to the clutch terminals FIRST....Then install clutch, making sure that the drive pulley above the clutch is completely pushed all the way up the shaft on it's key.... This is a two man job if you can get help... After bolting clutch and pulley back on the shaft, tighten with an impact....Then, connect the quick connect end of the pigtail to the rest of the harness....

Not an easy job but can be done with some patience and an extra set of hands....:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hi Tigerridge, hope you figured out a solution. It looks like you might be able to push out the old spade connector in the plug and re-crimp the wire back into it. I've reused connectors before like that when they were "special" and/or not easily replaced. Further to glc's response, maybe new spades on the ends and skip the plug altogether.

I have a similar problem myself right now... my deck stopped working and attempted to check all circuits etc. What OHM reading did you get or what are you supposed to have from the magnet coil? I think I have multiple issues but want to narrow it down. What I have done is tap into the wires and put 12v straight to the magnet coil. It works and engages but only intermittently, sometimes not at all. That makes me think the magnet is the problem. However, I'm not getting the 12v from the wire harness alone so there is something wrong up the line.

I'm working the "hot wire" approach first to at least cut my grass! was away for holidays and it needs it now!!
Thanks for any help...
I said 3-4 ohms, but it could be as high as 3-6 ohms... If the coil is bad, you will get a very high resistance value as high as infinity....

Also, check your voltage going to the clutch terminals with the key on and the pto switch engaged....you should have 12 volts....If you don't, I would suspect the PTO switch as they tend to go bad with the clutch...

Here is a great source for the clutch and they probably have the PTO switch as well...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221150122671?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Good Luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys... but I guess my luck has run out. I'm not sure if I ever figured out the problem but I did get to cut my lawn... for the most part. For OHMS I was getting about 1.72, or actually .172 because of where my dial was set. At any rate I knew I had a problem with the switch also so I jumped the terminals with a screw jammed between the terminals and everything worked proper. I had put a new switch in and it only lasted for an hour or so, maybe there is a short somewhere but seems okay now. So there I am all happy and cutting my grass, somewhere around 3+ acres worth. Then I start seeing smoke, and smelling oil. Sure as S%$#... now my gasket has blown on the engine.... so off I go and push the poor old girl back to the shop... ho hum.

It's an L120 and it doesn't owe me anything, I've had it about 15 years and all I've done is change oil and add gas. Of course there was the complete deck spindle/blades/belt overhaul but considering the amount of lawn I cut on a regular basis, I'm happy with the machine. I'm up here in Winnipeg and it's very hot today, 85 in the shade. So I"m going to go drink beer instead!

Have a nice day and thanks again!!

·
Premium Member
9,067 Posts
Cutting 3-acres of lawn over 15-years and your transmission hasn't failed you? If so, you've definitely gotten your money's worth out of a Big Box Mart grade of mower.

Reactions: Tigerridge
1 - 10 of 10 Posts