Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
I placed an "ad" in the "Want to Buy" forum that I'd like to buy a LA John Deere. I have located one but it just pours oil out the front seal. Or at least that's where we think it's coming from, we haven't removed the front radiator cover to really find out.

The owner said the motor was reworked about 3 year ago and can't explain the oil pouring out the front seal. In his words," It just started." I wonder if the seal housing is worn so badly it will not allow the seal to do it's job?

At any rate, I'd appreciate some advice on this problem and even about buying the tractor in this condition. Anyone ever replace the front main seal in a LA before?

He's asking $3k for it and it's been freshly painted but not restored. Seems a little high to me for the condition the motor is in.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

Registered
UW. Did you look at the front seal as shown in the JD parts catalog on the JD website? I have never changed one and have very little experience with an LA, but the parts catalog shows what looks to be a regular lip type seal and a slinger or thrower. I can't remember which term they use in the catalog. I never could figure out what a slinger "slung" or what a thrower "throws", but they were common terms on old engines.

Some of the guys can copy the pictures, but the best I can do is send you a link to the LA parts catalog. Copy and paste the following. http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/pdfs/PC0151.PDF The crankshaft and related parts are listed on page 8. If you have problems with the website, write back and I will try to help. Green Magazine is also a great source for parts and information on the old tractors.

The LA is a really neat little tractor. I always wanted one, finally got one and when we closed our dealership, I gave it to a friend of mine who was a collector, thinking that I might be able to have some fun with it, with him. He died suddenly, shortly after. I could have asked his wife to get it back, but I couldn't bring myself to ask.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
DRobinson, thanks for the link. Since I posted that question, the owner has offered to let me him tear down the LA to see exactly where it is leaking and he'll make it right. I can't ask for a better deal than that so we're going to see about it Wednesday afternoon.

I'll post back what we find out with some pictures hopefully.

Touching story about the LA and your friend. Sorry it happened that way.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #4
a LA John Deere that just pours oil out the front seal. Or at least that's where we think it's coming from, we haven't removed the front radiator cover to really find out.
Now we have. The leak was coming from a stripped bolt on the front corner of the oil pan. We retapped the hole and after running it for 45 minutes and then letting it sit for another 30, there was only a pencil eraser size spot on the floor under the tractor. Problem solved.

Administrator
Great news! Now we just need pictures to make it official:good2:

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6

Attachments

Administrator
Fantastic looking machine you have there! It is truly amazing how far we have come in such a short time:laugh:

Premium Member
That is one SWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEET machine. Right down the the front hub caps.

:good2::thumbup1gif::good2::thumbup1gif::good2:

Registered
Wayne, that is a beautiful tractor. You said that it still drips a drop from time to time. I am not a motorcycle guy, but don't they say that the drips from a Harley Davidson are not leaks, but that they are just marking their territory? I know you will enjoy playing with the LA.

Don

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #10
I am not a motorcycle guy, but don't they say that the drips from a Harley Davidson are not leaks, but that they are just marking their territory?

Don
Don,

LOL, I've never heard that but that's a good way to look at it. :thumbup1gif:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts