Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am not a tractor buff by any means. So here is my scenario; I was cutting the lawn and the tractor (LA100) just quit. I tried to restart but just a click (no turning of the engine). I made sure the battery was charged but still no dice.

The connections look in tact and the only odd thing is some oil residue in the engine (left side). There is oil in the engine still (I checked) so I am not sure what is wrong.

I have been waiting for John Deere to come and pick it up but it has been over two weeks and thought I would reach out to the experts. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
There are several possibilities. The engine could have gotten hot for any number of reasons and seized up. Can you turn the engine by hand? The charging system could have failed and drained your battery. How did you make sure the battery was charged? The starter relay could be bad. The fusible link could have failed. Can you give us a little more information. Do you have a multimeter?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

More information is always a good thing; The situation occurred after I was cutting some taller grass. The mower was struggling a little so I emptied the baskets and cleared out the side discharger while the mower was running. Then when I put it in gear again it shut down and that was it.

I thought it might be the battery so I hooked up a trickle recharger until it was fully recharged (my recharger tells me this).

I took a couple of pictures of the oil that is in the bottom of the engine. More on one side probably because it is on a hill.

I didn't try to turn the engine by hand because I wasn't really sure how...I am really a beginner here :)

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,263 Posts
That oil does not look good...is the crankcase still full?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are going to think I am an idiot but I am not sure what a crankcase is. I checked the dipstick and the engine has oil but not sure if this is the same thing.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Engine was running then died when put in gear. This could be a seat switch issue. You should be able to turn the engine with the pulley that drives your blades.

Sent from Kev's EVO.

·
Administrator
17,263 Posts
You are going to think I am an idiot but I am not sure what a crankcase is. I checked the dipstick and the engine has oil but not sure if this is the same thing.
Nope-I don't think you are an idiot, we are here to help, not judge or ridicule.

The crankcase is what holds the oil-and you say you checked it with the dipstick and the level was good-that's what I wanted to hear. I was concerned that a major failure occurred and you lost all the oil causing the engine to seize up, that is why Kevin wants you to try to turn it over by hand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help thus far. I am learning that this is kind of like a puzzle that can be fun to put together if it can be successfully solved. I have always seen people work on cars and tractors and now I understand that it can actually be fun (but also frustrating).

Anyway, I went back out and pulled on the belts. The belt for the blades turned and I was also able to get the higher belt that goes from the engine to under the back seat. However, this raised a question: when you first open the hood and look down, there is a cirucular grate with what looks like fan blades inside. This didn't turn in conjunction with the belt. Is it supposed to?

I also checked the connection of the seat cut off switch but it seemed to be plugged in. I ensured the other connections were plugged in also.

I checked and blew off the air filter but I don't think that this is it since it isn't running rough. I also did some reading about spark plugs. Does anyone think it could be the spark plug or doesn't this sound likely?

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
That grate should turn with the bottom pulley. Turning the belt will not necessarily turn the pulley. You should be able to turn the grate until you get to the compression stroke of the engine.

Sent from Kev's EVO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried manually turning the engine pulley today and had no luck. It is entirely locked up. It was in neutral when I did this.

What do you guys think that this indicates?

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
That is the worst scenario. Your engine is locked up. You will need to pull the engine out. Disassemble the engine and inspect the damage or buy a different engine. What rotten luck.

Sent from Kev's EVO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well thanks for all of the help! How much would you estimate a new engine to run with labor? I am guessing $1,000 which means that it might just be better to get a new tractor given that the LA100's are only $1,500 and mine is 5 years old.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wanted to let you all know how I decided to solve the problem. After doing my troubleshooting that you guys greatly helped me with, I was going with the assumption that the unit needed a new motor.

I had called the local John Deere dealer (Maple Mountain) for service and got the run around for three weeks to just pick it up. After three weeks, I just told them to forget it as it was going to be at least three additional weeks of waiting even after they picked it up due to a backlog. (Terrible service that they are known for).

Anyway, I then went to home depot and bought a new tractor. I bought the D100. My service experience almost pushed me to another brand but ultimately I decided to stick with John Deere as I like the brand and didn't want one bad dealer to ruin it.

It ultimately came down to a cost justification. A new engine was quoted at $800 + $240 for labor + transportation + cost of the lawn service during down period ($80/cut). OR a brand new D100 for $1,482.

My new baby arrived home today and I did my first cut that looks great! It seems to steer better than my LA100 and the self perceived lower center of gravity seems to give it better stabilty on the hills.

Anyway, I am glad it is done with and thanks again for all of your help!

·
Administrator
17,263 Posts
Good deal Lux....I hope it all works out for you:thumbup1gif:

Now you can take apart the other one at your leisure and learn all about it!

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Yeah, thanks for the update. You need to share some photos of your new machine. Sure would like to see it. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can anyone please send me a pic of a L100 carburetor

I need to put the carburetor back on and need a picture of the linkage PLEASE can anyone help:dance:

·
Administrator
20,351 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts