Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a LA115 and the spindle will not turn in the axle.
I have removed the c ring and I have tried beating down on the spindle with a mallet and it will not budge. When hitting from the spindle from the side, it will move a few mm at a time. I am afraid that I will break the axle.
Any suggestions? Heat? Some sort of penetrating oil? Or do I need to replace the whole damned front end?
Thanks

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have a LA115 and the spindle will not turn in the axle.
I have removed the c ring and I have tried beating down on the spindle with a mallet and it will not budge. When hitting from the spindle from the side, it will move a few mm at a time. I am afraid that I will break the axle.
Any suggestions? Heat? Some sort of penetrating oil? Or do I need to replace the whole damned front end?
Thanks
Hard to tell what spindle you are referring to. But you mentioned the front end. Are you saying the front wheel is not turning on the spindle (not really an axle)? Because that is stationary, the only thing that should be turning is the wheel. Or are you saying that the you can’t get the wheels to steer/turn?
I might be able to help you (I have an LA135 that had a difficult to steer/turn spindle), but need more info.

·
Super Moderator
5,458 Posts
:gtfam:

As posted, more information is needed to help you!

Pictures would help very much!

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
:gtfam:

As posted, more information is needed to help you!

Pictures would help very much!
Below is the LA115 front end. Perhaps you can tell us which components are not cooperating.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
Spindle stuck in Axle
Thanks! That helps. I suspect lack of grease has things rusted together. If possible, apply some heat from a torch to the axle area where the spindle passes through. Once hot apply some penetrating oil. Let cool and heat again and apply more penetrating oil. Find a piece of pipe that will fit over the axle stub and use it for leverage turning the spindle back and forth. A combination of heat, penetrating oil and leverage should loosen the spindle.

·
Registered
45 Posts
With a lot of persistance you may get it free. If your front wheels were toed outward before this started, (as a lot of these do) do yourself a favor and replace the axle and spindle.

·
Registered
136 Posts
x2 what j said. Some heat, some penetrating oil and keep working it, it should come out, just takes some time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yup, what these guys said.. if you want to tap the thing back and forth use a block of wood so the spindle don't get damaged..Also, if you try driving it out use a brass rod/punch.. be careful not to start mushrooming the thing.. Just have patience..it will come out...

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
Yup, what these guys said.. if you want to tap the thing back and forth use a block of wood so the spindle don't get damaged..Also, if you try driving it out use a brass rod/punch.. be careful not to start mushrooming the thing.. Just have patience..it will come out...
Good advice. Also, I would not start beating on the spindle until you have it turning back and forth freely. Once you get it moving back and forth hit it with some more penetrating oil and let it sit a bit. Don't be stingy with the penetrating oil. :)

·
Registered
927 Posts
Mine had same problem, though not as severe. Mine was caused by a clogged up grease fitting. Looked like it had never been greased.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Had the same problem with an older 170. Heated outside with a yellow can propane torch and it tapped right out. Clean it good inside with brake parts cleaner after. Then regrease and put back together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts