Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased 30 ac and will be building a home and pole barn on-site, the problem is that the current clearing in the trees isn't big enough for both, so I need to do some clearing in the woods for the pole barn.

I'm assuming that any stumps, roots, etc. MUST be removed from the soil rather than buried, correct?

Plan is a 30x48' with 14' walls and a 4 or 6" concrete floor (Class A motorhome to be stored inside.)

Recommendations? I'm thinking i need to bring in a crew to perform this type of clearing. Mostly 6" dia and smaller trees, but a couple fairly large ones as well (12-15" dia)

·
Registered
21,428 Posts
Around here the common way they clear trees for a building site is to use a good size dozer and push the trees over. This way the stump comes up as the tree goes down and can all be moved or disposed of.

When I had a driveway pushed in through the woods I asked the contractor if I should cut the trees first to save some money. He said it will cost more that way for all the time it will take to dig the stumps out.

These were all 60’-80’ / 12”-14” diameter cherry and maple trees.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Around here the common way they clear trees for a building site is to use a good size dozer and push the trees over. This way the stump comes up as the tree goes down and can all be moved or disposed of.

When I had a driveway pushed in through the woods I asked the contractor if I should cut the trees first to save some money. He said it will cost more that way for all the time it will take to dig the stumps out.

These were all 60’-80’ / 12”-14” diameter cherry and maple trees.
Just what I was wanting to hear. I'm hoping if I hit it early enough in the spring the ground will still be a little wet and allow for easier removal.

Thanks coaltrain.

·
Registered
141 Posts
my brother-in law (contractor) and his buddy (excavator) used a small trackhoe to push over all of my trees that were in the way. Only a few gave em problems that needed dug out, but most just pushed right over.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Yes, absolutely remove the stumps and roots prior to your build. Once they rot they’ll leave voids and you’ll have potential for all sorts of issues later on down the road.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
When I had a couple of acres cleared for my lot I had a guy come in with a track hoe and a dozer. They pushed over the trees and then stacked up a debris pile in one place. I should have them do it in a couple of spots to make it easier to either pick off and burn or burn in place. I have been picking at my pile now off/on now for about 2 years slowly burning it up.

You have a couple of decisions to make, do you want the debris hauled off or do you want to save some money and just have them pile it some place? Also if you need fire wood do you want to be there to salvage the hard woods?

Now, whoever clears it, is not going to get all the roots or even all of the stumps. It will depend on what type of foundation you have if this is a problem. I had a slab poured for both the house and my shop. For the house they removed any big lingering root systems but they had no issues leaving small stuff.

For my shop the crew had to remove one buried stump since it was where they were doing the footings.

For the rest of the lot, I was picking roots for most of the first year. I still have a bunch buried but they are much easier to remove now they have been dead for quite some times. You will never get rid of them totally, at least not down here in NC. Just remember if you pull up big stumps they leave a hole/void that needs backfilling.

Bottom line this not a task I would consider doing on my own. A couple of big pieces of equipment will make short work of it. It took my guys about 3 working days to make the lot presentable. I had about 2 acres cleared and I harvested the hard woods.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Recommend a 5" slab, five bag mix. Rebar on 18" centers. I have my 32,000 pound coach on part of my shop slab. 5" slab is thick enough for a vehicle lift. I have a 10,500 pound two post lift in the shop part of the slab.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,023 Posts
As others have said, bring in a dozer. Do all the landscaping now before you build anything.
Give yourself plenty of treeless ground around the area where buildings will be. Trees grow and eventually most come down.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Recommend a 5" slab, five bag mix. Rebar on 18" centers. I have my 32,000 pound coach on part of my shop slab. 5" slab is thick enough for a vehicle lift. I have a 10,500 pound two post lift in the shop part of the slab.
Do you think a 4" slab would suffice? My coach is only about 16,000lb (28' Safari Trek) - and I'll most likely be selling that anyway (along with a 26' Class C i also have) to help fund this endeavor.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As others have said, bring in a dozer. Do all the landscaping now before you build anything.
Give yourself plenty of treeless ground around the area where buildings will be. Trees grow and eventually most come down.
The barn builder requires 10' clear on each side. I was out there a couple hours ago and no matter where I put it, I'll have to take down some decent size trees (ones that I don't think will push over.)

I'll definitely be hiring the job out.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,023 Posts
The barn builder requires 10' clear on each side. I was out there a couple hours ago and no matter where I put it, I'll have to take down some decent size trees (ones that I don't think will push over.)

I'd go at least 30ft if possible.

·
Registered
4,947 Posts
Push big trees

A good operator on a dozer or excavator can push over some very large trees. It might take cutting the roots on one side first but they can take out some very large trees.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
6" trees? this machine would get it done in a half day,,,

He did remove some 12 inch plus trees,,, and he did use the excavator for the big ones,,

That tree took about 15 minutes to take down the branches,, and remove the stump.

He has a bumper sticker on his truck,,,,

"I Make Dirt Look GOOD!!"

I raked the area this week,,,

·
Premium Member
7,298 Posts
Do you think a 4" slab would suffice? My coach is only about 16,000lb (28' Safari Trek) - and I'll most likely be selling that anyway (along with a 26' Class C i also have) to help fund this endeavor.
I understand the need to save money; but try and go with a 5" or 6" slab with rebar. If you think concrete is expensive now; just wait until it needs to be removed and replaced.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,023 Posts
I understand the need to save money; but try and go with a 5" or 6" slab with rebar. If you think concrete is expensive now; just wait until it needs to be removed and replaced.
:thumbup1gif: I can't help but like that post.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
True enough

1 - 17 of 17 Posts