Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys had much experience grading roads with a land plane?
I have about a 1/2 mile of road to maintain and am looking to either purchase or build a 84" wide plane.
Just looking for a way to save time for other chores being i work away from home mostly thru the week and mainly only have saturdays to catch up. Any info on use, buy or build will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
I just did a post on my land plane work. It's under the "landscape" thread below and was started on 3-2-16. You can find it there.. It's actually titled "box scraper use" that's what I was going to use then switched to land plane.

I don't know how to do a link on this iPad.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
663 Posts
Have any of you guys had much experience grading roads with a land plane?
I have about a 1/2 mile of road to maintain and am looking to either purchase or build a 84" wide plane.
Just looking for a way to save time for other chores being i work away from home mostly thru the week and mainly only have saturdays to catch up. Any info on use, buy or build will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
I maintain over 2 & 5/8 miles of road and fence line. My land plane grading scrapers (LPGS) are my go to implements for general road maintenance. What size tractor will you be using? You may not want-need a 7 footer. Do you actually have a gravel road, (1/2"-3/4" rock) or is it a dirt road?

Most of my roads are either decomposed granite (DG) or just dirt along the fence lines.

Here are the 2 different makes that I typically recommend. The Grademaster is probably more realistic for cost. While the Road Boss is probably the best unit available, but they are expensive and not worth what they want cost wise IMO.

I prefer the industrial rated units. My 7 footer weighs about 1400lbs and is what I use behind my 75hp, 12,000+lb tractor and my 5 footer is about 800lbs and is what I use behind my 5000lb 32hp tractor.

Weight is your friend when it comes to just about any grading task. :thumbup1gif:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,198 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for the info! I have a 3032 4x4 with a fel.
My road is mostly packed 3/4"-1 1/2" limestone and after winter freeze and thaws plenty of holes and humps to grade out.
We have rural king and tractor supply stores here close along with about 4 different tractor dealerships so maybe i can get an idea of available planes in my area if i go store bought, but i love to get my welder fired up every chance i get.
But again thanks for the info!

·
Registered
937 Posts
I maintain over 2 & 5/8 miles of road and fence line. My land plane grading scrapers (LPGS) are my go to implements for general road maintenance. What size tractor will you be using? You may not want-need a 7 footer. Do you actually have a gravel road, (1/2"-3/4" rock) or is it a dirt road?

Most of my roads are either decomposed granite (DG) or just dirt along the fence lines.

Here are the 2 different makes that I typically recommend. The Grademaster is probably more realistic for cost. While the Road Boss is probably the best unit available, but they are expensive and not worth what they want cost wise IMO.

I prefer the industrial rated units. My 7 footer weighs about 1400lbs and is what I use behind my 75hp, 12,000+lb tractor and my 5 footer is about 800lbs and is what I use behind my 5000lb 32hp tractor.

Weight is your friend when it comes to just about any grading task. :thumbup1gif:
You need to gets some new pictures. I swear I've seen them about a hundred times. j/k j/k

·
Fit Rite Hydraulics
663 Posts
You need to gets some new pictures. I swear I've seen them about a hundred times. j/k j/k
Yes, I know, I was just talking about that with my brother last night. Not much time these days though, just get done what has to be done and get on with the next thing on the list.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you guys for the info! I have a 3032 4x4 with a fel.
My road is mostly packed 3/4"-1 1/2" limestone and after winter freeze and thaws plenty of holes and humps to grade out.
We have rural king and tractor supply stores here close along with about 4 different tractor dealerships so maybe i can get an idea of available planes in my area if i go store bought, but i love to get my welder fired up every chance i get.
But again thanks for the info!
I have a 3039 with the full cab, but no FEL.I use a 72" Land plane on it for about 2 miles of gravel roadbase driveway. Part of this is a pretty steep grade on a curve and I had trouble pulling uphill until I filled the rear tires with Rim Guard. That stopped them from hopping when the going got rough. It works great now. I put down almost 300 tons of new roadbase on the curved and uphill part this Fall and leveled it between truckloads just fine.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Land plane is big win for gravel driveways. This guy was around $1K or os. Not adjustable, but, price is right. I do my driveway in November so it can re-pack a bit before any snow, and then if needed once more around this time of year.

My 4520 has no problem with this 7' wide one.

I do have to stop a time or two on my 900' driveway to remove grass root clumps. Sometimes they are from the middle, but mostly from the edges where the grass creeps in. It's worth it to keep the driveway clean and not have it slowly get swallowed up by the grass.

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here's another big thumbs up for land planes. Mine is a Land Pride GS1560 that I use with my 2032R. It really works well to finish the drive after bringing in new rock or after the winter has done its job. Much easier to control than my box blade or rear blade which I used to use.

When I had my 2210, I had a Land Pride GS1548, which I could stop in its tracks if I tried to take too big a bite. But that was without loaded tires, as I wanted to keep a light footprint for mowing. I'm doing most of my mowing now with my Z930M, so I may load the tires on the 2032R, even though I have the bolt on wheel weights. I can tell it would help in a few places.

Bottom line: a land plane/grading scraper is just about the only thing I use for maintaining my drive.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
Working my driveway today. First pass. Love this thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Working my driveway today. First pass. Love this thing.
My SIL just tore up almost 2 acres re-grading his yard to resolve water issues,,,

I think my LP will get a workout in a month or two when things dry up,,,

·
Registered
80 Posts
Another Vote for Land plane!!

I have about 1/2 mile driveway that I maintain with a 3033R and a 72" land plane. It works great. It used to be when my guests would come to visit they'd give me a hard time about my rough driveway, so I'd have to supply plenty of adult beverages so the on the way out it was smoother for them.....now when they get to the house, they compliment me on how smooth my driveway is now.......but for some reason I'm still supplying the beverages???......:dunno:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts