Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just took delivery of a 1025R, and I plan to get a land plane. Our gravel driveway is 3/4 mile long, 10 feet wide (up to 12 feet at the entry and at a 90 deg bend), and in mostly good shape with only a few potholes.

Would like a land plane with scarifiers that is compatible with a JD iMatch Quick Hitch.

For this use (level, good condition) a 5 foot LP is probably suitable without overwhelming the small tires while enabling me to clean up most of the drive with only 2 passes vs 3. Mostly wish to keep the washboard surface in check, cut weeds, and keep a crown on it.

There are a few land planes out there, but my search skills aren't helping me figure out which are compatible with the JD quick hitch.

Recommendations?

Free delivery to northern Virginia would also be a plus. Thanks for any advice you can offer... this place was quite helpful in narrowing down the hunt for the right tractor and other implements, but the search function on this isn't netting anything informative after a few hours of reading.

Reactions: Kbar

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the 5' EA, it's quick hitch compatible, but it can stop my 2032R if it fills up. 700 pounds, might be pushing it for the 1025R.
Definitely food for thought. The 5' is only 35 lbs heavier than the 4', so the extra material could be too much for the smaller machine.

Out of curiosity is it loss of traction that stops it, or lack of power? Does that happen with the scarifiers up and just cutting with the bars?

Glad to hear the EA works with the iMatch. Apparently not all attachments advertised by various brands as QH compatible have either the right lower spacing or enough room for the top hook. With spending this much on an attachment I don't want to have to further cut or weld to make it work.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Definitely food for thought. The 5' is only 35 lbs heavier than the 4', so the extra material could be too much for the smaller machine.

Out of curiosity is it loss of traction that stops it, or lack of power? Does that happen with the scarifiers up and just cutting with the bars?

Glad to hear the EA works with the iMatch. Apparently not all attachments advertised by various brands as QH compatible have either the right lower spacing or enough room for the top hook. With spending this much on an attachment I don't want to have to further cut or weld to make it work.
I have this one, not the land Shark: Land Leveler Land Plane Utility Grader with Scarifier Shanks

It seems like sometimes the material doesn't want to flow over the first cutter, and if that happens, it will stall out the tractor due to lack of power. Seems to only happen with material that might be a little too damp, and raising the 3 point momentarily corrects it. Scarifiers up or down doesn't seem to matter, if the material fills up the box and doesn't roll over, it gets very heavy very fast.

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
I would get EA 4 foot Land Shark.

rob

·
Registered
2038R, X590
242 Posts
Since the smaller Frontier ones don't have scarifiers, my dealer has Rankin land planes with scarifiers for the smaller units. I don't know much about the brand but it's another to consider.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have this one, not the land Shark: Land Leveler Land Plane Utility Grader with Scarifier Shanks

It seems like sometimes the material doesn't want to flow over the first cutter, and if that happens, it will stall out the tractor due to lack of power. Seems to only happen with material that might be a little too damp, and raising the 3 point momentarily corrects it. Scarifiers up or down doesn't seem to matter, if the material fills up the box and doesn't roll over, it gets very heavy very fast.
Thanks for the added detail. Yours is more than 200 lbs heavier than 5' Land Shark. I wonder if the Land Shark holds as much material, or if the height or angle of the blades lets material flow over sooner. Any guess?

Reactions: The Satch

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Thanks for the added detail. Yours is more than 200 lbs heavier than 5' Land Shark. I wonder if the Land Shark holds as much material, or if the height or angle of the blades lets material flow over sooner. Any guess?
It's about 11 inches shorter on length, not sure on height. The major difference between the two (and one I didn't realize when I bought mine) is that on the landshark, the blade carrier is adjustable up and down, allowing you to take a smaller bite. On the EA, the blade carriers are fixed, and the smallest bite it can take is 1". The advantage on the EA is that the blade mounting holes are slotted, so as my blade wears, I can move it down, and get an additional 1" of cutting edge out of each side of the blade when compared with essentially every other land plane on the market. The disadvantage is that to get something very smooth at the end of a drag, I have to very gently feather the 3 point hitch up so I don't leave a pile. It's not too difficult, but it did take some getting used to. With an adjustable blade carrier set level with the bottom of the skids, I would think that wouldn't be a problem.

I personally don't think you'd have a problem with the 5' landshark being that it's 500 pounds, but I have no experience with the 1025R, so I hope someone else with one will chime in.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Rankin I think is who builds Countyline-the ones tractor supply sells. I think. Or another outfit. It’s hard to keep up these days

Edit: Tartar

Anyways, 2 things

1- I’m curious why your driveway is wash boarding if it’s mostly level. That leads me to believe it’s a combination of inadequate material and or driving techniques. Potholes are the universal bane of gravel driveways and everyone gets them but washboarding means the material is too loose. Maybe look into a binder material for your gravel like stone dust. There’s also the drainage variable. I found that proper drainage results in less maintenance.
But in my experience the very type of aggregate you put down sets the course for how much you need to fiddle with it. Even the same material from different pits makes huge difference. Some is fractured to a certain percentage and some is just screened. Some has a sandstone binder and some have sand base. Using the right stuff helps.

2- I have a 5’ box blade. It does just fine on my level driveway. Gotta get the momentum up if you know what I’m sayin. When I got a full box I’m in 4WD and high gear hauling Keester. Wgrn I use the scarifiers I will run in low full pedal to the floor. Of coarse there’s always going to be something that has resistance so going slower won’t taco the frame. I don’t have a land plane so I can’t reply which one will work better but I find that bigger width on my box blade helps tracking and grading.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rankin I think is who builds Countyline-the ones tractor supply sells. I think. Or another outfit. It’s hard to keep up these days

Edit: Tartar

Anyways, 2 things

1- I’m curious why your driveway is wash boarding if it’s mostly level. That leads me to believe it’s a combination of inadequate material and or driving techniques. Potholes are the universal bane of gravel driveways and everyone gets them but washboarding means the material is too loose. Maybe look into a binder material for your gravel like stone dust. There’s also the drainage variable. I found that proper drainage results in less maintenance.
But in my experience the very type of aggregate you put down sets the course for how much you need to fiddle with it. Even the same material from different pits makes huge difference. Some is fractured to a certain percentage and some is just screened. Some has a sandstone binder and some have sand base. Using the right stuff helps.

2- I have a 5’ box blade. It does just fine on my level driveway. Gotta get the momentum up if you know what I’m sayin. When I got a full box I’m in 4WD and high gear hauling Keester. Wgrn I use the scarifiers I will run in low full pedal to the floor. Of coarse there’s always going to be something that has resistance so going slower won’t taco the frame. I don’t have a land plane so I can’t reply which one will work better but I find that bigger width on my box blade helps tracking and grading.
As far as the driveway goes, it's a 3/4 mile shared private road with one other home at the halfway point, and it dead ends at my garage. The other owner and I both recently bought these homes, so we don't know when the road was last maintained or how previous residents drove. Delivery drivers go pretty fast on it, and a local farmer uses it for field access, but not frequently.

As you suspected the gravel is very loose and lacks a binder. That has caused it to turn into a two track with less than ideal drainage in a couple low spots. With so little traffic I can probably keep it in good shape with a land plane. After the new neighbor moves in I'll discuss cost sharing a binder, and haven't looked into options here yet.

Had some fun after taking delivery of the 1025R on Wed by cutting brush along the road. The grass was so tall it brushed against both sides of my truck in places... but no longer!

Reactions: Kbar and The Satch

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
BTW, here are a couple videos showing the driveway while cutting grass and brush with the rotary cutter.

Reactions: Kbar and The Satch
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.