Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. Does anyone know if the Land pride FDR1660 rear grooming mower is quick hitch compatible?.. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,290 Posts
Reactions: BigJim55 and RandyM

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Hey guys.. Does anyone know if the Land pride FDR1660 rear grooming mower is quick hitch compatible?.. Thanks!
Yup, page 13 of the manual. Here is a link Manual.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.. Here's where I'm at.. The land pride unit is a used piece for $1500 tax in and I also have a shot at a brand new 60" farm king groomer for $2000 tax in.. The land pride mower looks to be "well used" in the pics.. Doesn't mean it's a bad mower, it's just obvious in the pics that it hasn't seen any love in a while.. In the pics it's sitting out side and has been for a while.. It's at a dealer so likely a trade in of some kind.. Both are great mowers from what I've read.. Would anyone hazard a guess as to whether or not the farm king 60" groomers are quick hitch compatible?.. As for the wisdom if buying one over the other.. Do I save $500 and roll the dice on the used land pride and risk expense and frustration if it fails?.. It's really dirty and has been sitting outside all winter.. But it looks decent enough and is complete.. Or do I spend he extra $500 and just grab the pretty new farm king (which is no guarantee of zero issues either) but there would be a warranty and at I'd know it's history.. Thoughts?..

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Super Moderator
5,290 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,122 Posts
Which one has better wheels / height adjustment / hitch, etc. For example, pneumatic tires vs. hard rubber. Bushing for height adjustment vs. bolts. Which one would you buy if they both had new paint on them? If the costs were the same? If the LP is in your opinion better, give it a good go over.

On the used deck, check the gear box for oil. Check the spindles for play (bearing wear). Take the belts off and spin them by hand. They should be smooth without any slop. Are the belts still good? Are the blades still good? How is the PTO shaft and universal joints? Have them put it on a tractor and try it out.

You might be able to negotiate a better price on the used one. As long as it is solid, paint is cheap and doesn't cut the grass.

I bought a used 60" Befco. I put new seals in the gearbox and new belts. Later I rebuilt a spindle with new bearings and a new set of blades. I am still well under $1,000 on it and it does a great job on the lawn.

Good luck and let us know which one you get. BTW, we like pictures.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Farm King specifically mentions that both their "Homeowner Series" and Heavy Duty Finish mowers are QuickHitch compatible on their WWW site.

btw, where in Canada are you located?
Hey Jim.. I'm in southern Ontario near London.. About 2hrs east of Detroit.. Thanks for the info on the quick hitch as well.. its important to me to be able to get it on and off easily since it'll have to go on and off all the time to do other work with the tractor..

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll for sure update on what I get.. One thing that surprises me about these rear groomers is their weight.. At about 550lbs I'm Only abou 100lbs shy of the limit of the 3pt on the 1 series am I not?.. The info on what these machines can lift is confusing.. It's th way they describe it.. Referring to weight at a distance behind the links and/or at the pins And so on.. I really don't understand what the 1 series can actually lift out back?.. I know it'll handle 550lbs no problem but a couple of front weights are pobably a good idea..

·
Super Moderator
5,290 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got lucky with a new Farm King Y550R 60"!.. Couldn't believe it when I saw the ad at a farm equip dealer about an hour and a half from me.. Its been bolted to a display stand in their show room for two years and they had just been moving it around to farm shows etc.. Up here in Canada you'll see a sale price here and there for a new name brand unit in the $2000 range.. Like the farm king unit I had found for $1800 + tax.. But for the most part a brand new name brand 60" unit like land pride, buhler/farm king, king kutter, woods, or bush hog finish mower is $2400 to $3000.. So when I saw this one for just $1500+ tax I couldn't dial the phone fast enough.. Honestly, I thought there was going to be a catch like either the price was advertised wrong.. Or it doesn't include the gear box or the blades and pto shaft or something.. Turned out to be legit.. Showed up and paid.. They registered my warranty for me loaded it in my truck and I was gone.. Got it home and took it completely apart.. I do that with just about every piece of equipment I buy.. Its an excuse for shop time and a beer or five.. Honestly though.. I do it to familiarize myself with it so I completely understand how everything works and to avoid surprises if something wasn't done during dealer assembly.. Anyway.. Fingers crossed it cuts as good as it looks.. Won't know for another 4 to 6 weeks until the grass gets going..

·
Administrator
18,485 Posts
Look nice G12 :good2:

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
Nice mower. Please keep us updated on how you like it. I have always wanted a rear discharge rear mower for my back 2 acres which is wide open with no obstacles. Great find!:good2:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Look nice G12 :good2:
Thanks Ken.. The hooks on my loader that I got from you were instrumental in getting the mower out of the truck.. I should have taken pics of that.. A 60" unit like this fits perfect sideways in a 5ft p-up bed.. To get it out I hooked chains to the loader and the mower.. Then as expected because the lift point on the mower is at the front (which is to one side with the way it fits in the bed).. As I lifted, it tilts to one side and wants to wedge itself under the top rail of the bed.. So I get 95% of the weight hanging off the loader.. Then I got into the truck bed and pulled the hanging mower away from the truck bed side wall while my wife very, very slowly drove the truck out from under the mower with me inching myself out of the bed as she drove out..

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today was my 1st cut with this unit and I absolutely love it.. Now. My praise of a rear groomer vs a MMM is not me saying the mmm's are no good and everyone should switch.. I ain't beating up on the MMM or those that love theirs.. This is just my experience.. I liked my 54D well enough.. But running a rear groomer was a real treat.. It's my first time ever using one and I was a little concerned about getting the hang of the "swing" when turning but it was super easy to get used to.. The big benefits for me (emphasis again on "for me" maybe not for you) are that it's quieter with the mower out back rather than under me -- I also liked getting rid of all of the linkage that was hanging under my machine for the MMM.. Not a big deal but I like how neat and tidy the underside of my tractor is without it -- it's cleaner with no side discharge covering me and the tractor in grass clippings when I turned into the un-avoidable wind -- almost zero grass clumping under the mower deck and my grass was even slightly wet (my 54D was absolutely cacked with grass after every cut) -- the cut is really, really nice and dead even from start to finish. I never could get my 54D leveled properly.. It was fine but far from great.. The groomer has an anti scalp wheel.. So for the fist time since I bought my 1023 there was no scalping in a couple of raised areas that my 54D would absolutely massacre! -- and finally no driving the inefficient route I used to have to take to avoid spraying grass into gardens, onto my driveway, all over my a/c unit and at the house.. I'm only one cut into my rear groomer experience but so far I am hooked!..

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
It looks good on your tractor.:good2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts