Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we closed on some land today and am picking up a new 1025r filb tomorrow. Getting a box blade, rear blade, ballest box and 60" mid mount mower. First order of business is getting some driveway going. Any tips to level this before I start on it Sunday?? It's all running that way and about 800' total.

One of my customers has offered to drop his Bobcat off and let me use it for awhile. But I really don't like using people's stuff.
Thanks!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Nice looking property. Kearney Nebraska?
Oops! Sorry for the second post.

Reactions: robertopod

·
Registered
764 Posts
No problem! And thank you! And no it's Kearney Mo. Little town north of Kansas City. But the land is in an evener smaller town of Trimble Mo.
Congratulations on the new property, new tractor and new hobby (the latter come free with the former). You're in our backyard, as we're near Holt. The 1025 will be great for what you need on your property. How many acres, if I may ask? I see you have some of our invasive Red Cedar on your place. If you want more, I'll donate some. Take all you want (see how nice we are on this forum).

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Take the bobcat

I'd be really, really tempted to take the offer of the Bobcat and get the rough grading done, any trees knocked down etc. It depends on your relationship with your customer and how comfortable you are on a Bobcat but a half day on the big machine would put you way ahead and spare your shiny new machine some rough work.

Absent the Bobcat, I'd concentrate on moving the brush, grass and duff off the road area first. That stuff won't grade well so I would push the brush and loose stuff off and use the box blade to strip the top couple of inches of topsoil and sod and pile that up. Cut a path wide enough for the road and ditches. Then use the box blade and rippers to start shaping your road, moving dirt off the high spots and filling in the low spots etc. Cut any ditches you need to take water away from the road and plan on any needed culverts. Your first priority on the actual road is to manage the water, particularly with the nice rolling slopes. Get the water into a ditch and have outlets that take it away. Once you have the basic road grade done, you can use the rear blade and shape the ditches and crown the road. Unless you have a roller or way to pack the road, you will need to do this over time so loose material will settle. You can pack some by filling the FEL bucket up with dirt and putting it on the ground in float position and backing up. That works well with a bigger machine but you can get some packing done with what you have. A dually pickup or other heavy truck running back and forth helps as does letting some time go by and some rain.

Top with whatever surface you want, rock, milled asphalt or leave bare if you won't use it much for a while. You will end up regrading periodically, especially until everything is packed in and some rock or other covering on the top.

Congratulations on the purchases. It's a pretty piece of property.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congratulations on the new property, new tractor and new hobby (the latter come free with the former). You're in our backyard, as we're near Holt. The 1025 will be great for what you need on your property. How many acres, if I may ask? I see you have some of our invasive Red Cedar on your place. If you want more, I'll donate some. Take all you want (see how nice we are on this forum).
Thank you and yep. We aren't far from Holt at all. It is 12 acres total. About 2-1/2 have been "cleared". With some more work to do on those cleared acres. Which was my excuse for needing the machine!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd be really, really tempted to take the offer of the Bobcat and get the rough grading done, any trees knocked down etc. It depends on your relationship with your customer and how comfortable you are on a Bobcat but a half day on the big machine would put you way ahead and spare your shiny new machine some rough work.

Absent the Bobcat, I'd concentrate on moving the brush, grass and duff off the road area first. That stuff won't grade well so I would push the brush and loose stuff off and use the box blade to strip the top couple of inches of topsoil and sod and pile that up. Cut a path wide enough for the road and ditches. Then use the box blade and rippers to start shaping your road, moving dirt off the high spots and filling in the low spots etc. Cut any ditches you need to take water away from the road and plan on any needed culverts. Your first priority on the actual road is to manage the water, particularly with the nice rolling slopes. Get the water into a ditch and have outlets that take it away. Once you have the basic road grade done, you can use the rear blade and shape the ditches and crown the road. Unless you have a roller or way to pack the road, you will need to do this over time so loose material will settle. You can pack some by filling the FEL bucket up with dirt and putting it on the ground in float position and backing up. That works well with a bigger machine but you can get some packing done with what you have. A dually pickup or other heavy truck running back and forth helps as does letting some time go by and some rain.

Top with whatever surface you want, rock, milled asphalt or leave bare if you won't use it much for a while. You will end up regrading periodically, especially until everything is packed in and some rock or other covering on the top.

Congratulations on the purchases. It's a pretty piece of property.

Treefarmer
Thank you for all of the input. I think I will start with your advice and my new machine and see how I do. If I get too frustrated with the time it is taking then I'll think about borrowing the loader. I've been lurking on here for awhile while pondering the purchase. The input here is invaluable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh and my wife wants to keep the "Christmas trees"

·
Registered
913 Posts
:bigthumb:
This is excellent advice!

My experience starting with new land about three years ago, is that the 1025R is not enough tractor for some jobs, and it will do others if you break the job down into small bites. They just take a lot longer. Think of the old adage about how an ant eats an elephant - one bite at a time.

You'll start wishing you had bought a bigger tractor. But once you get the bigger jobs done (even if it means hiring out some of the one time-and done types of jobs), the 1025R starts to come into its own.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Congrats on the purchases. Land ownership is a great thing. As far as the driveway I can tell you I just put in my 1600' drive and I would have been crazy to try and accomplish it with just my tractor or a bobcat alone. My approach was to use a 6 bottom plow to cut the top soil about 8-12 inches and then using my tractor, bobcat, and a backhoe three of us took entire day to pile the top soil into piles on along the drive. Then it was another couple days of stone deliveries and grading. I think I am up to 30 truck loads or so and will probably need 10 more to finish. I guess if you had the time and the patient to only use your sub compact it would be a great accomplishment, but having just gone through it myself it is a big task. I think at a minimum you will need some way to "cut" the topsoil as it will make is much easier to dig. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Congrats on the new property and please let us if we can help empty your wallet with mods to your new tractor !!!!! :gizmo:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate all of the responses. So I'm going to go out there and enjoy playing with my new toy for a few hours and then probably figure out that I'm overmatched. But right now I cant wait to get on it. It'll be fun until reality sets in anyways! Thanks for the advice and all of the information that is shared on this forum!

·
Registered
764 Posts
At our place in the Ozarks our driveway was made by loads of gravel and a bucket and blade to spead it out. Worked well for the type of soil we had.

Will this be a daily road or occasional road? Farmers in this area use simple two tracks all the time with little moving of diirt. Once you start moving material, erosion is the real challenge.

Good luck, and have fun.

Reactions: Robnik and Levi

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At our place in the Ozarks our driveway was made by loads of gravel and a bucket and blade to spead it out. Worked well for the type of soil we had.

Will this be a daily road or occasional road? Farmers in this area use simple two tracks all the time with little moving of diirt. Once you start moving material, erosion is the real challenge.

Good luck, and have fun.
A dailey personal driveway only. Not a lot of traffic.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
I'm sure Sunday evening after working out there all day I will be sitting around thinking about what I really need!
Tooth bar comes to mind. :mocking:

·
Registered
913 Posts
I'm sure Sunday evening after working out there all day I will be sitting around thinking about what I really need!
With as much to do as you describe, a CANOPY would be a good addition. It sure makes it more comfortable when working in the hot summer sun to have you own shade with you.

Oh, and a TOOL CARRIER of some sort. When clearing land, you'll want a way to keep a chain saw with you, and fuel and chain oil.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts