Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A 40-50 sqft area of my yard is being murdered by moles. They've been busy this winter as you can see in this picture. They used to be all over the yard, but ever since I removed the vegetation around the house, and therefore some of their food supply, they now stick to this area. I'm working on removing them by killing off their food supply. I've tried traps and other things with no luck.

Once I get rid of them, I am looking for suggestions for recovering this part of the yard.

I'm generally rural and have a "country" yard so I'm not looking for perfection, but I need to get rid of the mole hills and fix the damage.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
You've now given me a positive aspect about living on top of large chunks of limestone with little soil here - no digging critters near the house. :good2:

·
Registered
322 Posts
When I get critters digging where I don't want them I poke some mothballs into their runs or burrows. Some will be pushed back out so I push them back in and add a couple more. Depending on how stubborn they are, they generally move on fairly soon. If I leave the runs alone they generally blend back in the ground after a spring season, along with the surface burrows under the snow. Or run the tires over them to press them down. As you can guess, I am not too worried about a perfect lawn either.

It doesn't take too many as mothballs stink, especially in enclosed spaces. Keep any spares in a sealed ziplock bag for later. Once they departed I pick up and toss out the ones I can see and the rest will dissolve over a relatively short period of time depending on rain. I haven't found a critter yet that LIKES the smell of mothballs.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
83 Posts
gas em

Gas em. I got pocket gophers here. I use a small engine and 1" flexible exhaust hose. Get some 1/2" pipe fitting and weld it to exhaust flange. Then I necked it up to 3/4" and got it turn downward using various fittings. The 1" hose fits over the 3/4" pipe snuggly with a few tack welds. I add a 1/2" pipe and the end to jam in holes. I repurposed a rolling garden seat for a cart. I drizzle some oil in the carb to make it smoke. The smoke will show you where all the exits are you need to plug up. Then I just let it run hour 30 minutes. No more gophers.

IMGP1702.JPG

IMGP1703.JPG

IMGP1704.JPG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
That's some serious Gopher control!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
411 Posts
I’ve got mole problems also. They tear my yard to hell. I roll mine or use a shovel full of dirt to level it but it’s never good. Till and relevel woukd be best but the you have to get grass growing again.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I'm pretty fond of Dynamite, with the resulting crater you can fill it up with water and make a Koi Pond. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
811 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
1/2 cub of gas down the hole. Wait a few min then might a match and drop it in. The fumes will burn out the whole hole.

Just want to be careful. Especially if there are buildings near by.

Bubble Gum works as well. They eat it but can’t pass it.

I kids like the carbon monoxide approach though. They just get sleepy, fall asleep and then die. Pretty humane way to get rid of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
191 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Moles are there to eat something...usually grubs. Grubs eat roots, moles eat grubs, opossum eat grubs, grubs turn into Japanese Beetles....its all horrible!

If you want to truly get rid of the moles, get rid of your grubs. The grubs aren't doing anything good for your lawn anyhow!

Grub-X is good, but has to be applied at the right time. It won't stop the grubs from returning though so the moles will be back when there is food.

Milky Mold Spores is the long term treatment you seek. It is a natural spore that is found in grub free soil. It is the best treatment there is for grubs. It lasts forever, it spreads itself out naturally and it has no negative effects on pets/kids...

The best part is, if all the neighbors gang up, you can eliminate grubs and moles from the neighborhood!

When I did mine I used the box grader to schluff off all the sod that had no hold on the dirt from the moles and grubs then planted new grass.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Treatment for grubs without confirming there is sufficient pressure from the pest is irresponsible. The way to check is peel back one square foot of sod and count the grubs. Less than 5 and treatment is not warranted.

The active ingredient in Meric, Imidacloporid is a serious insecticide and should not be administered without weighing the pros/con analysis. Ridding a yard of grubs will not eliminate grubs as they like earthworms and nightcrawlers a lot too.

Grubs treatment is very sensitive to timing at the 2nd instar of the grub, around here that often is the 2nd week of June for the Japanese Beetle grub.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had a similar situation at my old house and every year was a battle with the moles. My solution was once we got our little carin terrier I set her loose and just knew I would have to till up the yard and reseed later. The dog breed is built for for small rodents and she, at least did a fantastic job. Within a week she had three moles on different spots in the yard and never had an issue since. The neighbors even used her with their mole problem. She tore the yard all to heck but never had an issue after that. Kinda the hero in the neighborhood.

I know some guys that go out there and literally shoot the ground with a shot gun and look pretty silly doing it. But hey, whatever works. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I applied grubx a few weeks ago just before a rain, then I went and mashed down all the mounds. I haven't seen a new one yet. Maybe it worked?

In any case, I'm going to see if I can use my landscape rake to just scrape the top of the soil to loosen it up and smooth it out. I don't want to buy another attachment like a tiller, box blade, or land plane because I won't get much use out of them, but if need be, I'll see if I can borrow/rent one.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I applied grubx a few weeks ago just before a rain, then I went and mashed down all the mounds. I haven't seen a new one yet. Maybe it worked?

In any case, I'm going to see if I can use my landscape rake to just scrape the top of the soil to loosen it up and smooth it out. I don't want to buy another attachment like a tiller, box blade, or land plane because I won't get much use out of them, but if need be, I'll see if I can borrow/rent one.

Treatment this time of year is pretty worthless. Read this:

Controlling White Grubs in Turfgrass | Entomology

If you don't want to learn about the life cycle to truly do this correctly, the pertinent part:

Spring generally is not a good time for curative grub control. Grubs that have overwintered are large and hard to kill, and because weather conditions are moderate, the turf will usually outgrow whatever damage the grubs may do before transforming to pupae. Also, using a curative insecticide with a limited residual effect in April or May affords no protection against re-infestation by egg-laying adult beetles later in the season. About the only time when spring treatment with curative insecticides might be justified is when reseeding grub-damaged areas where the grubs were not controlled the previous fall.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts

If you need to borrow a box blade or land plane and don't mind driving to Hagerstown you can borrow mine anytime just pm me and let me know

Sent from my ASUS_A009 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you gents!

·
Registered
296 Posts
You can thank me later.:bigthumb:

Rodenator #deadnburied - YouTube
I have moles too. I use a lot of the mole gummy worms. It works for a few months killing the existing ones but then new ones move in and use the same tunnels a few months later.

I would probably injure or kill myself with that Rodenator.....:mocking: But that is pretty cool.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts