·
Administrator
20,290 Posts
What’s that for? :unknown:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We also thought if you are pulling a plow you could move the draw bar over to the right side allowing the right rear tire to move out of the furrow. That would flatten out the drive wheels providing better traction. Another thought was when you disc an orchard to knock down the weeds you could move the disc further under the fruit tree. Both are theories. Hopefully someone on the forum can gives us an answer based on personal experience.

·
Registered
11,673 Posts
What’s that for? :unknown:
:lol: boy i can tell that i'm really getting old now:banghead:

We also thought if you are pulling a plow you could move the draw bar over to the right side allowing the right rear tire to move out of the furrow. That would flatten out the drive wheels providing better traction. Another thought was when you disc an orchard to knock down the weeds you could move the disc further under the fruit tree. Both are theories. Hopefully someone on the forum can gives us an answer based on personal experience.
u got it:thumbup1gif:at least that's what my paps used theirs for just that-plowing on the hill.

Trebor---nice find. can i impose and ask what u had to give for urs? if not -ok . my neighbor back in the early fall asked me if i wanted to buy one from his families collection of jd stuff. he has 2 of them. plus my one uncle who passed away has one in the barn, i guess it might still be there, as my aunt let my cousin restore his model 50 last summer, then him and his bride rode it to the church where they was married. it looked great .

he wouldn't give me a price on it-told me to see if i could find a price on some. no luck.

·
Registered
364 Posts
This may be a "newer" version of the hill side hitch that is attached to the plow. I don't really know if it is for the same purpose. What I do know is this plow was used in the contour plowing events held leading up to and during the World Plowing Exposition in 1957 at Peebles Ohio. Winning the National contest qualified the owner to participate in the World Competition. Mr. Mootz's sons brought the 1949 B tractor and plow to demonstrate. Poppa Duane would have been proud!

Many of the plows had special adjustments, some factory, mostly custom though. My Dad took me to this event the day after Mr. Mootz competed, but I did see some strange (to me anyway) plows from all over the world working that day in other events. These photos were taken at the 50th reunion in 2007, of the event. Too bad I didn't get better shots of the exact linkage. Sorry!

There were several tractors and plows there that had participated including ones that were on display and/or used to pull wagons loaded with visitors from place to place.

Pic311.JPG

Pic312.JPG

Pic290.JPG

tommyhawk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was able to get it for $250. My friend said he paid $300 for it 15 years ago but offer it to me as part of the BO and BR purchase two months ago. I promised I wouldn't resell it and it will be attached to the BR as an accessory. Looking forward to showing both tractors next summer knowing that the landing lever should beg some questions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts