Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a landplane with my tractor and it has been great. By the time I am done, it is smooth as glass. I noticed yesterday that all my ridges came back. My driveway is steep so I’m wondering if this is the result of antilock brakes pulsating while going down the driveway, pushing up ridges? Any advice?

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
washboard?

If by ridges you mean ridges running across the road, that's what I would call washboard. The anti lock breaks could contribute but usually it's wheel hop from cars going up the slope a little too fast. It starts with a little bounce and one wheel loses just a bit of traction and slips slightly. That makes a minor divot, one you probably can't even see. The next car bounces at the same spot and digs it a little deeper but a second bounce also starts the next ripple.

I've got a neighbor who can do the whole road all by herself, :banghead:

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, washboard. That’s exactly it. You can watch it get worse by the day. Going to have to slow everyone down. That’s going to be easy.:banghead:

·
Premium Member
13,112 Posts
Yes, washboard. That’s exactly it. You can watch it get worse by the day. Going to have to slow everyone down. That’s going to be easy.:banghead:
Good luck with that. I have the same situation. The main culprit is the USPS mail carrier. They drive one of those tiny white right-hand drive trucks which apparently only has two throttle positions... Idle and FLOORED! They sit at the bottom of the driveway and floor it the whole way up... wheels spinning... stones flying... I've never seen anything like it.

Every other delivery vehicle, no matter how big or small, comes up the driveway without disturbing a single stone.

It's getting to the point that I dread USPS deliveries as it means I have to go do some driveway maintenance.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,289 Posts
If you have a heavy roller and run it over it after the landplane it might slow it down a day or two. :dunno:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I get a small washboard when I run the landplane slow (first and second pass) or when it's damp.. put the tractor in high and run a fast finishing pass usually clears it up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I am a little north of Roanoke,, and you are welcome to come drive up my driveway.

I have virtually NO washboard,, even 6 months after working it with my DIY landplane,,

Yes, my driveway is steep,, I have lived here and maintained this driveway since 1982.

Right now, and 6 months since the last working of my driveway,, it looks like this.

So, I can say, I have an answer,,, but, you may not like the answer. :dunno:
I do not use gravel, I use a material that is called mill run,, or pug,,
The biggest issue is you can not put it down thin,, so at delivery time, your cost is 3X! :gizmo:

Back in the 1980's, I too used gravel,, but, I could not stand the washboard.
Luckily, one driver offered me the answer.

AND, :flag_of_truce: this product is NOT crusher run! :flag_of_truce:
Crusher run is MUCH different.,,,, that product can be tailgated thin.

Pug is not perfect,, the edges will still wash during a hard rain.
This summer we have had some hard rains.
Right now, I have some edge wash, but that is cosmetic,
I do not drive on the edges.

·
Registered
23,316 Posts
The washboards are from going up - not down. You won't really feel it with these new vehicles and traction control, but each wheel will spin a tiny bit then the other will - back and forth. That little bit of spinning causes that washboard effect.

If you have selectable 4WD just put it in 4WD when going up. Other than that there is really nothing you can do about it with loose gravel.

·
Premium Member
13,112 Posts
Is that the stuff that is recycled asphalt?

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you have a heavy roller and run it over it after the landplane it might slow it down a day or two. :dunno:
I agree with this. I've found getting the fines to mix with the top loose layer, then smooth it, water it(rain works), roll it. But it always comes back. Continual process. This just slows it for me.

Edit: parking has slight slope. Drive is steep with a 45 degree curve.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Is that the stuff that is recycled asphalt?
No, pug is just a different form of crushed limestone.
Around here, it is the base that is used under new road paving.
Pug can be installed at any thickness,,, and it will compact HARD!
Normal 57's will not compact at all.

I also use it where we park the cars,, it is almost like concrete after rolling.
You can not poke a walking stick into it,, at all.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good luck with that. I have the same situation. The main culprit is the USPS mail carrier. They drive one of those tiny white right-hand drive trucks which apparently only has two throttle positions... Idle and FLOORED! They sit at the bottom of the driveway and floor it the whole way up... wheels spinning... stones flying... I've never seen anything like it.

Every other delivery vehicle, no matter how big or small, comes up the driveway without disturbing a single stone.

It's getting to the point that I dread USPS deliveries as it means I have to go do some driveway maintenance.
Lol! UPS. is our biggest culprit, too! No flying stones, though. Wow! Gave me a good laugh .
Ps. Does he take time to walk the package to your door????

·
Registered
160 Posts
Having enought fines in the mix that it tamps down nice and hard will help... Which brings us to tamping it down. =) A roller would be ideal but I don’t have also one. I’d suggest either getting/making one or:

a) running slowly up and down the drive with a fully loaded bucket that is (mostly) set down and has the lip of the bucket just an inch or so above the ground. Note: This will slowly wear down the bottom of the bucket... That said ~1000lbs of weight on an ever so slightly inclined plate of metal works pretty well and leaves packed and smooth surface. Someday I’ll just have to replace the bucket or weld a new bottom on it.

b) Driving slowly up and down the drive 10+ times before you let anyone else on it. Try hard to go smooth and slow and make sure you don’t drive over your previous passes. With a decently heavy car/truck you will see nice packed places where you just drove and fluffy places were you didn’t. You inevitably miss spots but it does work pretty well.

Anything to set the stone and fines before people tear up and down it will be good, and you will notice that the landplane gets to rest longer between uses. Like others said though, nothing will prevent holes and waffleboard on a gravel drive when people drive much over 15mph on it (or standing water is left on it). That said, with a land plane at least it’s easy to dress it back up quickly which makes it less of a hassle to fix things early.

Edit: A roller is definitely the best best for this. Sometimes though, you just run out of room. =)

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
265 Posts
The problem with my hill is that it's so steep that if we slow down, the tires spin out in the gravel and we go nowhere.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am a little north of Roanoke,, and you are welcome to come drive up my driveway.

I have virtually NO washboard,, even 6 months after working it with my DIY landplane,,

Yes, my driveway is steep,, I have lived here and maintained this driveway since 1982.

Right now, and 6 months since the last working of my driveway,, it looks like this.

The biggest issue is you can not put it down thin,, so at delivery time, your cost is 3X! :gizmo:

Back in the 1980's, I too used gravel,, but, I could not stand the washboard.
Luckily, one driver offered me the answer.

AND, :flag_of_truce: this product is NOT crusher run! :flag_of_truce:
Crusher run is MUCH different.,,,, that product can be tailgated thin.

Pug is not perfect,, the edges will still wash during a hard rain.
This summer we have had some hard rains.
Right now, I have some edge wash, but that is cosmetic,
I do not drive on the edges.
Any chance you can get some more detailed pics of that land plane along with what kind of materials you used?

·
Registered
23,316 Posts
I have a 1/2 mile long driveway and also have problems with washboards......but i don't mind, it gives me an excuse to hook up my land plane and get to work (play)!!
Exactly. If you have a steep gravel drive you are going to have to maintain it - might as well enjoy it!

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Reactions: Levi and Yank

·
Premium Member
13,112 Posts
Lol! UPS. is our biggest culprit, too! No flying stones, though. Wow! Gave me a good laugh .
Ps. Does he take time to walk the package to your door????
Yes, they sit the package at the door.

Reactions: Levi and Yank

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That’s what I thought. The washboards are inevitable. I really don’t mind the seat time. I’m just ADD about doing things correctly. My big problem now is drainage. Coming up my drive, my ditch is to the left. My driveway slopes torwards the ditch, but the water wants to run down the driveway, not off of it. This makes it wash the asphalt out where my driveway meets the main road. I really don’t know what else to do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts