Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got the bush hog out of storage and started giving it a good go over before putting it back in service.

The front belt was showing a little wear and I had some horse stall mat left over so that got "upgraded".

20160424_212434.jpg

I noticed some small stress cracks in the sides right behind where the skids end. I picked up some 1/8" x 2" flat bar to reinforce that area.

I am also going to use the same material to build up the back where I "bumped" it a couple times on some stumps and then cut some more stall mat to replace the rear guard.

This was last year after the oops....:banghead:
DSC03685.JPG

And after I cleaned it up a bit.
DSC03687.JPG

·
Registered
23,268 Posts
Well I got the bush hog out of storage and started giving it a good go over before putting it back in service.
Looks great! A little time spent here and there goes a long way for the longevity of our equipment. When I buy an implement I consider it a lifetime purchase.

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first couple of years cleaning up my brothers place were a little hard on the cutter, but she is holding up pretty well.

Some places along the edges of the old fields I was backing into to get under some trees and "found" and occasional stump.

Figured it was time to give it a good once over, and maybe build a bumper for the back end...:lol:

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
The first couple of years cleaning up my brothers place were a little hard on the cutter, but she is holding up pretty well.

Some places along the edges of the old fields I was backing into to get under some trees and "found" and occasional stump.

Figured it was time to give it a good once over, and maybe build a bumper for the back end...:lol:
hhmm, maybe you should have just got a green one...:nunu:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hhmm, maybe you should have just got a green one...:nunu:
I did.

It faded. :lolol:

Almost bought a new RCR1860 at the auction the other week. They went for a good price, just didn't have the pocket change.

·
Registered
23,268 Posts

When using my Bush Hog in the woods most of the time, I do a lot of backing up between trees. Those small hidden stumps will get you every time.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I did.

It faded. :lolol:

Almost bought a new RCR1860 at the auction the other week. They went for a good price, just didn't have the pocket change.
:lolol:

Reactions: BigJim55 and rtgt

·
Registered
4,439 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got a little bit more done on the bush hog this weekend.

Got the back end back to "round" again

20160501_103001.jpg

Then I fitted some 1/8 x 2" bar stock to the inside and outside

20160501_133317.jpg

Cutting square holes....:nunu:

20160501_115852.jpg

Then I got it all welded up

20160501_191115.jpg

20160501_214628.jpg

Next step is to build some 1" stand off's and add a piece of 3/16 x 2" as a "bumper"

Reactions: Kennyd and BigJim55

·
Registered
12,618 Posts
rtgt==thats pretty neat how u made u own square hole-was that a dremenel tool u used after u drilled the hole. just thinking in my head how u did that. and then u welded that strip on at the end??? it looks good-probably better than factory.:bigthumb:

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
12,618 Posts
rtgt==thats pretty neat how u made u own square hole-was that a dremenel tool u used after u drilled the hole. just thinking in my head how u did that. and then u welded that strip on at the end??? it looks good-probably better than factory.:bigthumb:
:dunno:

·
Premium Member
10,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BigJim, yes on the dremel tool. Drilled out the 3/8 hole and then used the dremel with a router head to square off the corners. That was the piece that went on the inside and I wanted to still use carriage bolts.

I only had 6 holes to square.... it seemed like more by the time I got done.

The plan is to use those bolts to hold the bumper on, that way it can be removed for straightening......not that I haven't learned my lesson about backing into stuff...:banghead: Figured it is bound to happen again, maybe.... :laugh:

Reactions: coaltrain
1 - 14 of 14 Posts